Top 10 Posters

What are you up to today? #3

Page 97 of 133 (1985 items) « First ... < Previous 95 96 97 98 99 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,984 Replies | 45 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,040
Points 169,828
Marie replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 3:14 PM | Locked

And a happy birthday to you Johnya as well!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,040
Points 169,828
Marie replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 3:18 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
I hope this leads to a large family reunion at some point

How exciting Nancy!  Wish your hope for a large family reunion takes place real soon.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 3:57 PM | Locked

Marge (AKA Dimples):

It always griped me that WalMart comes into a smaller town and undercuts the local fabric shops so they would end up closing ---- and then Walmart did away with their fabric. 

They undercut mom and pop grocery stores, too, and run them into the ground,  and TRY to undercut KMart and Target,,,, this is the reason there are petitions across the country (New York is big for this) to PREVENT Wally World from coming in, and why so many people demonstrate outside some of the stores  (add to that they sometimes treat their personnel badly by cutting off bennies, etc....)  My kids call it "Satan's Store" and boycott it. Then there was the time my mom ended up as a demo person for Sam's Club, so my kids always asked her what it was like to work for Satan...... ah me........ sighs.......

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 4:56 PM | Locked

Puttered around in the sewing room this morning until Julia came over with Troy.  He is almost 4 months old already.  Just have one more piece of the second border to put on a top I brought home from our Humane Society sew day.  Then I have to sew all the stripes together for the border on Troy's quilt.  Dumb me pressed them all in half before stitching them together.  Senior moment :o) 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 2,005
abcquilting@yahoo.com replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 9:27 PM | Locked

I worked and worked and worked on piecing a back for a long quilt. First the material wasn't square so off to the store for more fabric-this was yesterday. Then I find the muslin didn't match, but I had enough if I did 3 pieces. Got it done and the seams faced opposite each other. So out comes the partial width seam. Finally I got it all together and on the frame.

My husband asked me how I could mix the seams. "Didn't I look at my work?" I explained the width seam was 88' down and I had not gone the length of the length seam like I should have to make sure both seams faced the same direction. I felt stupid for having made the mistake, but my husband doesn't realize the heap that much material makes when you have to add on. I have the top on and hope to start quilting tomorrow. Bettie

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 805
Johnya replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 7:35 AM | Locked

Marie:

And a happy birthday to you Johnya as well!

Thank you very much Marie!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 805
Johnya replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 7:40 AM | Locked

Bella:

Marge (AKA Dimples):

It always griped me that WalMart comes into a smaller town and undercuts the local fabric shops so they would end up closing ---- and then Walmart did away with their fabric. 

They undercut mom and pop grocery stores, too, and run them into the ground,  and TRY to undercut KMart and Target,,,, this is the reason there are petitions across the country (New York is big for this) to PREVENT Wally World from coming in, and why so many people demonstrate outside some of the stores  (add to that they sometimes treat their personnel badly by cutting off bennies, etc....)  My kids call it "Satan's Store" and boycott it. Then there was the time my mom ended up as a demo person for Sam's Club, so my kids always asked her what it was like to work for Satan...... ah me........ sighs.......

I completely understand what you mean here. My mother worked for Wal-Mart part time as a second job and the supervisors/managers at her store were ruthless. I am happy to say that I haven't stepped foot in Wal-Mart in years and I won't be doing it in the future. Get on the internet and read what they do to their workers in China. They are paid on a script system much like the coal miners were in the US before 1941. They pay rent to the company and then any "script" they have left over is only good at the company store. They end up with nothing.  Aaaaah...I'll get off my soap box before I end up staying there too long! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,033
Points 108,610
chocake2 replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 8:06 AM | Locked

Now Now, Walmart is'nt ALL bad. While they don't hire anyone full-time (thus avoiding paying bennies) and they undercut local businesses,  they do have one small good point that puts them above all of the other box chains doing exactly the same thing: They allow the Salvation army and Vets to collect donations at their door. You won't ever see a bell ringer in front of Target.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,033
Points 108,610
chocake2 replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 8:06 AM | Locked

Happy Birthday Johnya.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,033
Points 108,610
chocake2 replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 8:19 AM | Locked

We've run into a snag with the house we're buying. The water tested positive for e.coli and had Furtilizer poisoning - meaning it had double the EPA's allowable nitrate . The well will have to be sanitized and a special filter installed before the bank will loan money on it. Thankfully the sellers understand that even if we can't purchase it because of that, no one else will be able to get a loan on it either, and they are gung-ho to get it taken care of. Hopefully they can get it all done before the appraiser comes next week. I'm glad we decided to dwaddle on the closing when we did the buy sell. This would all be really stressfull if we were under the gun timewise.

We have a summer intern that comes for a few weeks every year. He has Asburgers Syndrome (A form of Autism). It's an adventure to work with him as he takes everything very literally and we are a bunch of  jokesters. We all try to remember not to clown so much and help him understand when we do, but he still spends a lot of time confused by our antics. He's a sweet guy and really knows his stuff. He considers it his persanal calling to do all of our gallery tours, unfortunately he doesn't always pick up on cues that people give him that they have lost interest in his lecture. We're working on that. I think for every little thing I teach him, he teaches me 10 times as much!

With him there I have more free-time on my hands. Hopefully I'll get more patches cut this week and be able to make some real progress on my GFG blocks.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 805
Johnya replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 8:28 AM | Locked

Thank you Chocake! I think your daughter and I have the same birthday....the 12th! (A great day for all peoples! jk)    :-)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,600
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 8:29 AM | Locked

We are leaving on a 10 day trip with our RV and dog to go camping with family. This means I will be out of touch as there is no internet or cell service in the no-mans land of Palmer Lake west of Oroville. (Patti, I imagine you know where that is) I'm going to have withdrawals, being so out of touch as I'm a bit tied to my cell and internet.  I am  taking a quilting project that I do some hand work on and I'll practice the EQ7 lessons while sitting in my camp chair and swatting mosquitoes. OK, here I go, as soon as I hit the Send button, I'm unplugging my laptop and packing it in the trailer.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 8:37 AM | Locked

Should I pick up the garbage now, just to have to do it over again?  Since I don't have any time this morning, I guess I will leave it to be distributed a little more.  Don't have time to take the garbage to the dump until this weekend.  We have no garbage service, so all these years we have just put it in an old apple bin until we have enough to take in.  There have been bears around but none have ever come to the house and gotten into our garbage before. 

Leave in a couple hours to go to Chelan for a couple days, DH is the tenor soloist for the Bach fest.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 805
Johnya replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 8:39 AM | Locked

chocake2:

Now Now, Walmart is'nt ALL bad. While they don't hire anyone full-time (thus avoiding paying bennies) and they undercut local businesses,  they do have one small good point that puts them above all of the other box chains doing exactly the same thing: They allow the Salvation army and Vets to collect donations at their door. You won't ever see a bell ringer in front of Target.

This is very true...they also allow Girl Scouts to sell their cookies (at least locally). But I still don't like their business practices.

The mom & pop grocery market where I usually go also allow folks to collect donations and sell cookies. They  have several butchers that you can talk to and will custom-cut for you. They offer locally grown produce and some local bakeries offer their goods there as well. And every Saturday (depending on the weather) they grill out hot-dogs for kids for free. All the kids in the neighborhood line up for them. I guess I'm just spoiled. I live in a town of about 240K and still have the luxury of a neighborhood market that stays competitive. Some areas aren't that lucky.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,371
Points 48,735
Ginny replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 8:44 AM | Locked

Gee Chocake, I am sorry to hear there is a problem with the water.  Hopefully it can be taken care of quickly so everyone can move ahead on their plans. 

You summer job sounds rather exciting having to deal with all the various aspects of it.

Wish your daughter a belated Happy Birthday for me.  She shares the same birthday as my Mom did, and she was a mighty  classy lady.  Very talented in sewing and decorating and a real go getter.  May your daughter be so talented.  It sounds like she has a good start......Ginny 

Page 97 of 133 (1985 items) « First ... < Previous 95 96 97 98 99 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use