Top 10 Posters

What are you up to today? #3

Page 53 of 133 (1985 items) « First ... < Previous 51 52 53 54 55 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,984 Replies | 45 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120
Elaine Phillips replied on Sat, May 28 2011 9:04 PM | Locked

I'm signing in to let everyone know that I am still alive and well. It's been ages since I have been on here. The month of May for me has been a marathon one. I have been working at the LQS 3 days a week because our owner has been at Quilt Market and Viking convention. She got back this week so I can get back to my one day a week. Then I have had 3 graduations to go to. One in Valley NE 2 weekends ago, one last weekend here at home, and one on Monday in Augusta, GA. My brother, sister and I traveled from Kansas City on Sunday, after a Saturday night of tornadoes in our area, to Atlanta, and then by car to Augusta, where our baby sister lives. I was able to go across the Savannah River into South Carolina, and up to Aiken, to the Aiken Quilt Shoppe. Augusta has 2 Sewing and Vacuum Centers that have some fabric, but no quilt shops. We missed all the bad weather that hit Joplin and Oklahoma City and other areas. KC had bad weather on Wednesday. We left Atlanta with 97 degree temps and hit KC with 64 degrees. Quite a change. But the weather had calmed down, thank goodness. Thursday I had to mow and bale my yard! And Friday I worked and today I went to cemetaries in my home town area. So I hope to catch up on some rest tomorrow. Then I simply have to get into my studio and get some quilting done. Things are piling up around here.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 179
Points 3,245
Amalie Simper replied on Sun, May 29 2011 10:00 AM | Locked

wow elaine!  That is one busy schedule, but it is so fun to see family so I hope that you enjoyed it.  I hear you on the graduations between my two sisters both graduating from high-school and college and my husbands closest family have two graduations...it can get super busy.  The weather in Utah is crazy.  It is like we live in seattle...constantly raining these days (which I love, but is not normal).  Today and tomorrow I am working to finish my 3 4th of July quilts.  I go back to work full time again after only half days this last week...on TUES!  I am super sad, but it must be done.  SO, I must finish these quilts or they won't get done until my week break in August.  Off to work. Amalie

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sun, May 29 2011 10:04 AM | Locked

LOL. Thanks Marge. I feel better knowing that my boo-boo was only ethnic diversity at it's finest.  :) I'm having cake for breakfast.

My boss stopped in and joined us in celebrating hubby's b-day. He gave me a key to the shop while he was here- no more getting locked out! Yay.

Hubby just reported that they have 3" of fresh snow in the mountains west of us. It snowed all day there but none stuck until after sunset. The rivers continue to rise with the rain, but run-off has yet to begin  (late this year). Flooding will continue for a few weeks, I fear...

Our local quilt shops are having a poker run in a few weeks. The last time they did it I had 5 kings. They rejected my winning hand because it was impossible to draw that hand in a regular deck of playing cards...but when you play with multile decks (which we were of course) it is possible, and is a high hand. Anyway, I got 1st prize for my '2 high pair', which was a lot of really amazing goodies. Soneone else got the grand prize -A sewing machine- which I didn't need, So it worked out. I'm not sure we'll do it this year- gas prices being what they are.

Hopefully today I'll get time to play on my current project.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 179
Points 3,245
Amalie Simper replied on Sun, May 29 2011 10:05 AM | Locked

ah, that is awesome ginny!!!  I am super grateful as a young mom that my best friends husband has a great job and that she has been able to watch my daughter for me this last year.  I wish that my mom could, because she wants to, but she just lives a little too far away and works most days at the time that I really need help.  Maybe she will be able to more this summer since my best friend just had a baby girl last week and I don't want to impose while she has a newborn.  I think that watching little ones keeps us young because you really have to have a lot energy to do it. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Sun, May 29 2011 12:00 PM | Locked

chocake2:
Hubby just reported that they have 3" of fresh snow in the mountains west of us.

we got a foot of snow in our ski area wednesday,  when wil's dad picked him up from violin lessons, we had a snowball fight with the snow on dad's car. the little stinker nailed me in the chest, but i got a good headshot.    one of our local ski areas is open this weekend,  the weather is nuts.  wil is in a strikers tournament this weekend.   his team won all three games yesterday, so he only has to play one game today for the championship.  and as we know he likes to get first, so i hope they do good.   

my mom and aunt are picking me up this morning for the annual  grave hunt.  none of us can remember form year to year, just where gramma and grampa and great gramma and grampa are.   we know the general vicinity, but the hunt will be on, with dad giving us digusted looks and large arm waves, directing us  from the car.

then one of sam's ex-assistants and her family are coming for sunday dinner at noon.  it should be an interesting day.   it's sunny right now, but that can change without notice.  oh, our pool is not open, bill has been working hard all month to get it up and running, but we have had too much rain. hopefully tomorrow it will be up and running.  all the neighborhood kids have their noses pressed through the chain-link fence hoping that will make it open sooner.      have a great memorial day everyone.     gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, May 30 2011 9:58 AM | Locked

God Bless our troops, both past and present.  Thanks you!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,103
Points 66,990
Robin replied on Mon, May 30 2011 10:07 AM | Locked

Yesterday I finished by Crazy Quilt block for the Spring challenge.   Today I am trying to finish an Ipad carrier for my new addition.  I've got a baby quilt to quilt so I hope to work on that  but I have to finish grades for my students first.   This is the my least favorite part of teaching. 

Special salute to those who serve and their families.  The gift you have given your country is immeasurable.

Robin

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,131
Points 28,610
Wendy replied on Mon, May 30 2011 11:52 AM | Locked

gini:
we got a foot of snow in our ski area wednesday

We woke up to an inch of snow on the ground this morning. and 42 degree temps. It has been raining for the past 2 hours so the snow is of course gone.

The mountains however have had three days of snow. I don't know what the totals are. I do know that it is about a foot more. All the reservoirs here are full and going over the spillways.  We haven't even started the snow pack melt down yet. It is getting very scary around here. I fortunately am on high ground. however. Birch creek does run down our street through a pipe, and we can get ground water. One of the spillways for our smallest reservoir has a crack in it that we are all concerned about. If it gives, it could send a 20 foot wall of water rushing down  to the pineview reservoir. That reservoir is full and going over its spillway. It could be disastrous for our little mountain valley townships 15 miles up the canyon, and a bigger disaster for Ogden. So please pray that the crack holds through the run off period and that they can fix it this fall. 

The following pictures are of causy  reservoir spillway

the red circle is where the crack in the spill way is. It is about 20 Ft down.

This resevoir sits at about 8000 ft.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Mon, May 30 2011 12:33 PM | Locked

Wendy!  What an absolutely georgeous place to live!  Of course I hope the crack doesn't break, but the pictures were just awesome. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Mon, May 30 2011 2:01 PM | Locked

wendy, our snowpack is 180% of normal and our lake is at pool level already.   they expect it to reach 3 feet over flood stage sometime in june.  it has been a long time since we've been this full.  our little dam is doing it's dammest to spill water out. if it releases too much, everybody downstream floods.  they kept the lake as low as they could, anticipating a big snow melt.   if it stays cooler, it'll melt slower and  there won't too much to worry about.   i hope we don't get  hot too fast.  

we have a road trip to branson planned in three weeks. i hope  all the high water is in the gulf by then.  i saw montana is flooding.   it's been a crazy year for precip. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 150
Debby christmas replied on Mon, May 30 2011 6:57 PM | Locked

Hello everyone.. 

I have a question about accuquilt and I just wondering if this fabric cutters are good to do?? I am fix to buy one but I wanna to hear from u all

to see if u have one or not...  Please email me cchristmas11@comcast.net and let me know about this product...  I hope u all have a great quilting day to u..

Take care and hope to hear from u    ...

Debby Christmas

• Filed under:
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Mon, May 30 2011 7:51 PM | Locked

Wow Wendy, those are some awesome pictures.    I pray that crack holds until they can get it fixed.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Mon, May 30 2011 7:53 PM | Locked

Gini this has been a crazy weather year all the way around!  I hope it settles down soon!  

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,610
Points 52,090
Ginny replied on Mon, May 30 2011 7:56 PM | Locked

Beautiful, awesome pictures Wendy.    but at this time of the year, I wouldn't want to live there - too cold.    Hope the hole in the spillway doesn't get any larger.      Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Mon, May 30 2011 8:05 PM | Locked

We have had a nice day.  I started the day with a walk with the dogs while it was nice and cool this morning.  After breakfast, I decided to do laundry even though it's a holiday.  Dave worked out in the yard picking up many small branches that came down in the crazy weather Thurs night and watering plants with water from our new rain barrels.  After he got cleaned up, we went to O'Charley's where we enjoyed 20% off on our meals thanks to an e-mail coupon.  From there, we went over to Wyomia Tyus Olympic Park here in Griffin to view the Dignity Viet Nam Memorial Wall.  It is very moving to view and see the names of all those service men and women who gave up their lives during that conflict.  Then it was off to Lowe's to get some stuff - and Dave got 10% off for being retired military.  We decided to buy a bouganvilla vine while we were there.  Then we stopped at a local nursery to buy a hazelnut bush (tree?) and some thyme. 

Back home, it was finish the laundry and play in the sewing room some more.  Today I managed to take out my sashing boo boos on the top I was working on yesterday, get them sewed in right,  and finished it with the borders.  I also whipped up a small pillow out of a hunk of fleece for the humane society shelter and another pillow case for my new body pillow (54" long and pink flamingo fabric!).  

Took the dogs for another walk now that it is under 90 degrees out and now I am here to visit with all of you.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Page 53 of 133 (1985 items) « First ... < Previous 51 52 53 54 55 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use