Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today? #3

Page 116 of 136 (2040 items) « First ... < Previous 114 115 116 117 118 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,039 Replies | 54 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,775
Lynne Plambeck replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 8:32 AM | Locked

Robyn, I am the same way.  My studio is my dining room table, so when I can't sew I still have a good view of my Pfaff patiently waiting for me!!  When I don't sew or make myself take a break, I read my stack of pattern books, mags, pet my fabric and design in my head.  Have fun with your granddaughter.  I have great memories of my of staying over at Grandma's and watching her sew.   

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 8:36 AM | Locked

OH, Nancy, I am so jealous!  When I first started "shop hopping" in the "Greater Metro Denver" area (about 10 years ago) there were about 15 shops, and they were in all the different little cities, from Loveland down to Castle Rock, and all the in-betweens.  There were LOTS of door prizes, and each store had a basket of goodies, not to mention each store had a quilt top to give away.  That particular "quilt" was so good! Before the hop, all the stores would get together, and decide on a set of quilt blocks to put together, along with fabric - some from EACH store - set around a certain "theme".  Each store would do a particular block, and as you went to them, you could get the pattern of that store's block for free, or you could buy a packet that had the pattern for that block ALONG with the fabric to make it, so at the end you would have the fabric and blocks for the entire quilt. 

The thing is, each store would assemble this shop hop quilt differently, and each store would ALSO have the PATTERN for the ENTIRE QUILT as to how THEY put it together, so you could have your choice of quilt pattern!  Then, of course, since each store had a separate quilt top, there would be a grand prize drawing at the end of it all so there would be all these quilt tops for the grand prize winners, and of course, the baskets of goodies! The winners would be given the baskets and tops from the store closest to where they lived. 

Also, when you would go from store to store, you had to have the "passport" that had to be stamped, and at the end (and it DID take all 4 days!) you would get a pin if it was all filled in.  .......sighs...... it was a great experience!..... but then, the stores closed..... one....by.....one..... and this year, come August 1st, there will only be 6 shops........  you can do it all in about 3 hours, and the prizes are pfffft........   not worth the time or gas, and the sadness that so many of our favorite stores are now gone............sighs......... My favorite store was "The Great American Quilt Factory" and it was owned by two of the best teachers and (famous) quilt seminar women - Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith - who have been on tv on so many shows, too numerous to mention.  You will see their faces on so many instruction books, I know! The good news about THEIR store closing is that it wasn't due to the economy, and they just wanted to retire (sort of...)  but I sure miss it......  ;(

I wish I was doing YOUR shop hop!

Has anyone else suffered the loss of a favorite store?????  and, Nancy, what does YOUR shop hop do that is special? (besides having great sales, that is)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 9:12 AM | Locked

Marie:

Karla:
the baby blanket came out pretty good.

Karla, I'm glad you are pleased with it.  We'd love to see the quilt.

I've got 2 baby quilts, both simple patterns, that I need to get quilted then I will post the pictures.  Sad part is that I'm just using up pieces of flannel that I had in my stash, and now I'm going to have to go purchase additional for the backs, which will lead me to purchase more fabric that just happens to catch my eye.  You know how it goes, I'm sure, clean out some bits and pieces and add some more to your stash.

Karla, Fernley, NV

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,373
Points 175,023
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 9:49 AM | Locked

Karla:
You know how it goes, I'm sure, clean out some bits and pieces and add some more to your stash

Karla, isn't that the law?  I'm sure someone on site told me that a while ago.  LOL  Will look forward to seeing your finished quilts.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,525
Points 50,995
Ginny replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 10:03 AM | Locked

It's good to hear from you, Ms Moommist.  Glad you are starting to think about quilting again.  I think it is a great idea to do the flip-flop quilt for your Grand daughters best friend.  Take care, you are still in my prayers.    ginny 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,373
Points 175,023
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 10:06 AM | Locked

Ms MoomMist:
Just dropping in

MM, nice to hear from you.  You just take your time easing into your quilting.  You are sweet for thinking of making Heather the quilt meant for Kori.  What a horrible thing to happen to Heather finding her boyfriend that way after being in such a traumatic situation.  Life is so fragile.  I pray God will give you and your family, Heather and her family, and her boyfriends family some comfort and peace at this very trying time.  God Bless.  (((((HUGS))))) 

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 33
Points 1,770
Genevieve replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 11:39 AM | Locked

I'm going to work on a quilt today (I just got up...so I haven't yet). I will continue working on my son's quilt that I started really working on piecing this past week. Today will include lots of ironing for me and hopefully starting to piece the final blocks together. :)

-Genevieve

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 2:59 PM | Locked

MMM

I can only imagine what you and your family is going thru.  Know that you are in my prayers.   How horrible for Heather.  Loosing 2 people that she cared about in such manner is just unreal.  God Bless her.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 1,825
Ann W. replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 6:09 PM | Locked

MMM , I am so sorry about Kori and all you are going through. You are right about one thing. A lot of 20 year old young people know and touch so many. You have our deepest sympathy in your loss of your granddaughter. I know she was much loved by you and by so many from what you have said. Please give Kori's parents our love also.

Please tell Heather she is loved by all. I wish she was here for me to give her a hug. A friend of ours son just did the same thing to his ex-girlfriend. She was going through a lot and couldn't deal with his problems as well and broke off with him. He threatened and than did commit suicide . She was also the one to find him. His parents didn't know where to look for him and instead of telling them she went to look.

Please give take this ((((( Hug))))) for both of you.

xoxoxo

Quilty Hugs,

Ann W. in Indiana

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,017
Points 65,040
Robin replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 7:46 PM | Locked

Work today I did!

2 more FWS squares making a total of 37

cleaned up the quilt room

based a hooty owl baby quilt

went  to LQS and pick up a few more fabrics for FWS and thread to quilt hooty tomorrow

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 9:08 PM | Locked

Bella:
what does YOUR shop hop do that is special?

There are over 75 shops in the Great MN Shop Hop divided into 8 regions.  If you complete all the shops in any one region, you qualify for the incentive prizes for their region, and if you complete at least 7 shops in all 8 regions, you qualify for the state grand prize.  Each shop you visit gives you a charm cut from one of the 20 coordinating MN fabrics for 2011 and a pattern to make a block.  Many of the shops offer bounce-back coupons.  I can't imagine ever being able to complete the entire state, but I hope to complete one or two regions.  Even that will require lots of driving (and gas) and an overnight stay somewhere, so you never want to factor in what you spend on that part of a shop hop or it loses some of the fun.

Here's all the info:  http://www.quiltminnesota.com

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 12:57 AM | Locked

bella, we lost our only store

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 1:15 AM | Locked

That's an incredible shop hop, Nancy!  You could form a retreat for people who would like to come to Minnesota just to do it!  Have fun! :D

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 1:28 AM | Locked

gini:

bella, we lost our only store

OMG, Gini!  I can't imagine!  I know it is crazy, but you would think the towns and cities that live furthest away from any other town or city would find it beneficial to support their local fabric store.  So nothing else - JoAnn's, Hancock's, or Walmart???  Sheeesh!  I think I recall that in another post you said something about being close to Washington state and some of their stores, right? If not, please excuse my faulty memory... but that being said, how close would you also be to some Canadian towns? My cousins live in B.C. and there are quilt a few where they are.  But you would think that living in NORTHERN Idaho it would be a "given" that a QUILT shop would be there~ Where do you live?  Close to Boise?  Coeur D'Alene?  You have my condolences, for I know when you lose a favorite store, there is a sadness that creeps in....  :(

Page 116 of 136 (2040 items) « First ... < Previous 114 115 116 117 118 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use