Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today? #3

Page 68 of 136 (2040 items) « First ... < Previous 66 67 68 69 70 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,039 Replies | 54 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 12:03 PM | Locked

Haven't done any actual sewing today, but did go through my scrap bins and started cutting 1-1/2' strips to use them up.  Going to start a rail fence, I think, which I've never done, to clean out some of smaller pieces I have.accumulated.  I'm debating whether to make it really, really scrappy using everything I've got, or try to tame it down some but keeping the color palette more simple.  Thoughts, anyone?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,827
Points 123,540
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 12:05 PM | Locked

Vivian :

Judy, looking at the EQ quilt makes me rethink my possition on the program.  Beautiful pattern and i am looking forward to seeing it made up.

Vivian

There are some things that I wish were a bit more user friendly but as I get into it, I'm liking it more and more. Being able to scan in the fabrics I will be using is really huge. To get an idea of a color scheme, I used the fabrics available in the program and got the general color scheme. Printed that and took it to the fabric store with us. Bought the fabrics and scanned those into the program. I love being able to experiment with the fabrics to come up with a final layout.

I'm so looking forward to learning to use EQ7 and all the features. I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 12:07 PM | Locked

That would make it simpler.  does it let you know fabric quantities?  you said it didn't have a cutting plan, can you make one?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 12:43 PM | Locked

You know you have the quilting bug when you take pictues of wallpaper on holidays to use as a quilting pattern. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,827
Points 123,540
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 12:52 PM | Locked

Vivian :

That would make it simpler.  does it let you know fabric quantities?  you said it didn't have a cutting plan, can you make one?

EQ7 does show fabric yardage needed. Once we'd decided on a basic pattern and color scheme, I printed off the page with fabric yardage to take to the shop.

It gives you printing options for a particular block piece. I can print templates or rotary cutting dimensions. It's a little odd, but I'm starting to get used to it. I'm so new at this and the ladies in the EQ group have been very helpful.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 1:02 PM | Locked

I keep meaning to ask, I was in Spokane the other day and did some shopping at Joannes and I must say, the cost of fabric isn't as low and I thought it would be.  I paid 9 per yard for batiks.  Is this what you pay? 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,827
Points 123,540
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 3:02 PM | Locked

Vivian

$9 a yard about right. Quality fabric is rather pricey but if you watch the sales or shop at a LQS that gives a discount for quantity purchases, that helps. I get 20% off my entire purchase after I've spent $100 on regular priced fabric.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 4:01 PM | Locked

It is a sale, but if I'd had patience and time, i could do close here.  If I'd remembered my Joanns card, I could have done better.  I did buy a couple of books that were a screamin' deal.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 60
schurrquilts replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 8:43 PM | Locked

Depends on the batik...if it was a stiff one....they are usually cheaper but the good quality ones are more....in Canada (Ontario) some of them in quilt shops are $14 a metre.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 9:14 PM | Locked
Well, Judy, look at you designing quilts already on EQ7!!! It looks great! You're putting me to shame. I've had my program a little longer than you've had yours, and I'm not close to designing my own projects yet. I keep saying I'm going to sit down and run through the lessons, but then something else calls to me for attention. I did have a fun day today. I invited a friend over for a full day of quilting in my sewing room. We had our own little mini-retreat complete with show-and-tell. I think I've talked her into joining QCA. We'll have to see if a Carol from Minnesota introduces herself soon.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 0
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767
Joyce Brenden replied on Tue, Jun 14 2011 9:57 PM | Locked

Judy T--

Your quilt design is lovely and the finished quilt is going to be even lovelier.  Isn't computer designing fun!  I do much more designing than stitching, though, and have tons of designs waiting to be made into projects.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767
Joyce Brenden replied on Tue, Jun 14 2011 10:09 PM | Locked

I'm working on a wall hanging for a dear friend to give to her sister in celebration of her (the sister's) 80th birthday.  It's a family tree with red flowers embroidered with the names of each of her siblings and their children and grandchildren--15 flowers in all with 3 extra without names for future children.  All satin stitch machine applique and so much fun to work on.  Have to add the embroidered "Happy 80th Birthday", the borders, and binding and it will be finished. 

Kissimmee, FL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767
Joyce Brenden replied on Tue, Jun 14 2011 10:12 PM | Locked

MMM--

Thanks for the informative article on sewing machine day--who knew we had not one, but two special occasions to celebrate!

Kissimmee, FL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Wed, Jun 15 2011 8:42 AM | Locked

Joyce

The family tree quilt sounds lovely.  Hope you post a pic when you have it finished.  What an awesome gift.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 60
Debra replied on Wed, Jun 15 2011 9:00 AM | Locked

I'm so excited. Just renewed my QNN subscription. I've missed coming here. Another exciting thing for me is that my daughter Leslie has asked me to help her make a quilt. She just celebrated her 1st Anniversary and Leslie and my son-in-law Kevin just moved into their new home. I'm so happy for them both. Leslie bought fabric at our local quilt show and a pattern. The pattern is from a small booklet called Let the Good Times Roll by Heather Mulder Peterson and we are going to make It's a  Bling Thing. The fabrics are very modern, not what I'm use to working with but Leslie loves the fabrics and I'm excited that she wants to quilt.

Page 68 of 136 (2040 items) « First ... < Previous 66 67 68 69 70 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use