Top 10 Posters

Removing chalk marks from quilt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 80
scergo posted on Sun, Apr 3 2011 5:18 PM

I used a chalk marker by Hoechstmass to mark free motion quilting designs on my last quilt.  Now I can't get them out.  I have tried to wipe them off, washed the quilt 3 times (the last time after pretreating with OxiClean), and it is now air drying.  What else can I try?  Alcohol had no effect.  Neither did spraying water directly or using a brush on the marks.  I have never had any problems removing the chalk  marks before this.  They haven't been ironed.  I don't know what is different except I marked this quilt more.  Please help!

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

Wow, I use a chalk line and it just wipes off,  sorry, I don't know any hints for you.

• | Post Points: 5
replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 12:18 AM

I have used one of those micro cloths and rubbed gently on the markings. It has worked well so far. I even tried wetting the cloth and rubbing. So far it has worked well. But now that your quilt has been machine washed I am thinking that this may not work for you. If you have a spare piece of the original fabric, try making a few marks on that piece and you can experiment with different methods of cleaning first without damaging the quilt itself.

Joan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,106 Posts
Points 410,854
gini replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 1:16 PM

hi scergo, welcome.   have you tried looking up a website for that company and contacting them  ?       gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,090
Joy replied on Fri, Apr 8 2011 9:06 AM

Grandma's Secret Spot Remover works wonders but I would contact the chalk company first.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use