rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 6:59 AM

Welcome btiffany,

I'm so sorry to read of the losses you experienced last year. The thought that you are "picking up the baton" and   ready to do your own quilting is such an inspiration. By all means ask any questions you may have along the way and look forward to seeing your quilt.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 7:32 AM

Please check out Patsy  Thompson on youtube.com-----she shows how to set up your machine and space around it and has great tips.  I found that spray basting large quilts does not work for me, but that's just me!

Pat

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 1,125
Shari replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 9:40 AM

I have to echo what others have said. Gloves are a GREAT help and I get out the big 8 foot conference table and put my machine on that. It makes a big difference. I will have to check out the video's suggested.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Sun, Apr 17 2011 2:28 AM

btiffany,

btiffany:
I have read everything I could possible find and am anxious to have "real people" to ask questions as I progress.

Welcome to QCA. You may want to check out the Fear No More FMQers group, there is lots of information there about free motion quilting.

Toledo, OH

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 590
btiffany replied on Sun, Apr 17 2011 2:17 PM

Thank you for the response. I finished the last few pins and have the quilt rolled with round clips on. Today after the flower show in town I will actually begin the quilting. Since this is a reproduction 30's fabric quilt I wanted something as quilted in that period. I decided to do diagonal lines. This will also be the easiest, I think. I have chosen a couple of the plain squares to do a flower design I drew out. I will be using the walking foot and will try the bar attached after my first stitching line. Thank you I do have gloves and I agree they are great. I am winding a few bobbins before I start so that will not slow me down. My binding is all pieced together and ready to go when the quilting is finished. 

I am now going to look for the FMQ group. Thank you and I will take a picture to show my results.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 1,125
Shari replied on Sun, Apr 17 2011 2:31 PM

You are ready to hit that pedal! Have fun!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:26 PM

Most of the quilt teachers recommend a glass of wine to relax you before you start.  Of course with straight lines you may not need the help.  You mentioned a flower block, are you quilting around the design?  because if you are, the walking foot will not work for that. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,428
Points 416,059
gini replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:39 PM

Vivian :
Most of the quilt teachers recommend a glass of wine to relax you before you start.

what  a great idea

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 6:42 PM

Vivian :
Most of the quilt teachers recommend a glass of wine to relax you before you start
  I would drink to that, if I had any wine.  Piece of Chocolate helps too

Granny M

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 590
btiffany replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 12:13 AM

I'd probably fall asleep with the wine!  Boring just doing straight lines. I am over 3/4 finished. I will do the freehand after I finish the "lines" with the darning foot. When I came to those squares I just changed the stitch length and did a few stitches, (raised the presser foot and moved to the new spot) just as the beginning and end. Worked well. 

I am using various sizes of clips to hold the fabric. I also am folding instead of rolling. I purchased some of the red clips to hold the quilt rolled BUT they only work with a lot of fabric, in the middle, as I am doing diagonal lines. I didn't see various sizes when I purchased them. As for the lines---they are not all straight!! I finally figured just where and when I would run into trouble with things getting caught or the clips getting stuck and pulling. Lines looking much better now but what a learning experience. Straight lines for me will probably be confined to smaller areas. 

Thanks for support. I find myself reaching for the phone to call my aunt, quilting buddy and she's not there. However I am so fortunate, blessed and grateful for what she did teach me which is the reason I am able to do this at all. I stopped at a shop up in Ramona which is about 30 miles from here and what a great bunch of people. They were helpful, fun and informative. What a great hobby where people enjoy talking to each other and sharing instead of coveting their knowledge. Amazing.

My sewing room is not finished so I have to do this in the dining room. Sunday needed the table! Today and tomorrow have meetings so three days wasted! Believe me I would rather be quilting!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 2,560
caroline replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 12:31 AM

I have too a Sapphire 870 and have quilted in free motion some quilts . But I had bought a table with adaptable insert  (Sew Ezy table) , it's more confortable and easier . I'll be happy to see your finished quilt...

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 590
btiffany replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 7:17 PM

Quilt is finished and I am well into another. As much as I complained about the straight stitching quilting, and I did, I really like it. Wine did help after all also! I will use the same type of quilting again. Mother-in-law likes it very much and that is who I made it for. I am trying to send a picture. Just switched over from pc to mac. If it doesn't get posted with this will work on it tonight. Thanks for all the encouragement and just being there. I truly appreciate it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,481
Points 176,808
Marie replied on Mon, Aug 1 2011 9:59 AM

btiffany:
Mother-in-law likes it very much
btiffany:
Quilt is finished

Tiffany, I totally missed this thread so my congratulations on your finishing that large sized quilt on your DSM is a little late but sincere.  Glad your MIL liked it, a labor of love, for sure.  I look forward to seeing it.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 1 2011 11:40 AM

btiffany

Glad you got your quilt finished.  It is rewarding to finish one and have the recipient really like it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sun, Aug 14 2011 1:18 PM

I quilt all my own on my sewing machine.  You have a better machine even than I do, and I know where you're coming from with wanting everything to be done by yourself.  Also you save a lot of money by doing it yourself as well.  You are not tackling impossible I have done queen on mine but with basic designs only. Make sure you have moved everything off your table and set your machine up to leave enough space for the quilt to go through. I would also suggest rolling up the quilt and unrolling it as you go along with the quilting it helps with keeping everything.  It can be done.

• | Post Points: 0
Page 2 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use