Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,719
Points 121,420
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: Sat, Apr 2 2011 8:32 PM

I'm nearly done with the top of my Bargello quilt. It will be the largest I've made and will be about 100 x 100. I really want to machine quilt it myself and have a 2010 Viking Sapphire. It's got a fairly deep throat and I've easily quilted large lap quilts. Does anyone else machine quilt their queen size quilts on a regular sewing machine? I could send it out but would rather do it myself. Since it's a graduation gift for my granddaughter, I'd like every stitch to be done by me no matter how imperfect.

Any suggestions or am I taking on an impossible task?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 8:49 PM

Having done some fairly large quilts on my Bernina 440 with a tiny 7 1/2 inch throat, I'd say it can be done, but it's not easy.  Do you at least have a stitch regulator?  How complicated is the pattern you intend to stitch?  It is physically tiring to wrestle that much fabric under a DSM, so plan to take plenty of breaks!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 9:26 PM

Judy

I have quilted 120in x 120in king size on my domestic sewing machine.  It is a bit of a workout getting it thru the throat space but it is doable.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 2:34 PM

Judy, I have done all my quilts on my dsm's. I make mostly large bed size quilts. It does get a little tiring but its so worth it when you look at your finished quilt and know that you have made every stitch yourself!

The trick is manipulating the fabric so you can work with one small section at a time. Do you have the extension board for your machine? That really helps too.

Can't wait to see the finished results!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 521
Points 9,969
Jean replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 2:49 PM

Judy, I quilted a King size quilt on a small cheap Brother from Walmart and it turned out great so I know you can handle yours also.  If you don't have a large quilting surface to help hold the bulk of the quilt up, try using you ironing board lowered to the height of your sewing surface to aid in the process.

Patch Up America.....Make A Quilt

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 4:09 PM

Jean:
If you don't have a large quilting surface to help hold the bulk of the quilt up, try using you ironing board lowered to the height of your sewing surface to aid in the process.

Good point - use a table, a chair, the ironing board, etc.  You have to keep the weight of the rest of the quilt that you're not working on at the time from pulling everything down.  The piece you are working on has to be able to move freely under the needle.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Apr 4 2011 12:26 PM

I've done a queen size on my dsm with sucess.  Just make sure the extra dosn't drag on your needle and cause distortion.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,719
Points 121,420

Joy:

Judy, I have done all my quilts on my dsm's. I make mostly large bed size quilts. It does get a little tiring but its so worth it when you look at your finished quilt and know that you have made every stitch yourself!

The trick is manipulating the fabric so you can work with one small section at a time. Do you have the extension board for your machine? That really helps too.

Can't wait to see the finished results!

Joy, I can't wait to see the finished results either.

After struggling with keeping the laptop size quilts I've made from dragging, I built a surface around my machine using that smooth white shelving. It gives me a 46 x 38 flat surface. I think I'll be ready to start quilting this thing next week. Just one more border to put on and then I have to get it sandwiched and pinned. My hubby has decided to set up an exercise routine for me to force me to stop frequently to stretch. Good man. I may keep him.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

Judy,

If you're going to FMQ your quilt the hardest part is getting everything smooshed in there just right. and leaving enough "poufed" up around you that you'll be able to move the quilt fluidly. It's a lot of stops and starts and manipulating and you'll be getting a real workout in your arms and shoulders from moving the weight around. Be sure to use quilting gloves too. They're a huge help in moving around. Love my Sapphire to FMQ but had to make some tension adjustments. Recommend doing a test piece. Best wishes and look forward to seeing your quilt.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,719
Points 121,420

Stephanie:

Judy,

............. Be sure to use quilting gloves too. They're a huge help in moving around. Love my Sapphire to FMQ but had to make some tension adjustments. Recommend doing a test piece. Best wishes and look forward to seeing your quilt.  

Quilting gloves? I hadn't thought of that. Thanks Stephanie, I'll order a pair right away.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 8:30 AM

Judy

If you want to save money just buy a pair of cheap gardening gloves with the dots on the palm.  They are basically the same thing and alot less expensive.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 8:51 AM

Go to Youtube and search for Patsy Thompson.  Her tutorials are great and she has a 4-part beginner series.  One thing to make sure if using gloves (which I do) is to make sure that there is no extra room at the fingertips--could get caught under the needle.  I use a Bernina 440QE and Machingers gloves.  The gloves are great and they are comfortable.  I usually quilt very large quilts--sometimes on a frame with my MegaQuilter, but more and more I enjoy sitting and using my 440QE.  It really is very possible to use a DSM for quilting.

Pat

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195

Judy I do all of my quilts on my brother quattro 6000D.  Before that did them on a small Brother.   I have done even large quilts all in one piece and have done them in sections that are then joined when the quilting is done.  All the advice so far is what I would have told you as well.  

Happy  quilting

Granny M

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 590
btiffany replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 2:09 AM
Thank you for this subject. I am in So Cal(island off San Diego) and my mentor was in Minneapolis. Each year we would get together at each other's home for 2 weeks and quilt. I have been to most of the MN Quilters conventions since early 90's. My aunt, mentor and best friend died last year. She did all the quilting on my big quilts. I now am ready to begin quilting a double quilt for my mother-in-law. It literally is on the table and pinned ready to go. I have read everything I could possible find and am anxious to have "real people" to ask questions as I progress. Thank you for being here. I am using a Bernina1530(?) I think. I'm upstairs and it is late here. I have problems sending quilts out to someone i don't know. All the time I spent going through all the different stages and then letting someone else do such a creative part of my quilt--I want to avoid this. My favorite quilt from my aunt is a king size feed sack quilt. This quilt was sent out and there are areas I would definitely restitch and others have less glaring mistakes. If there are mistakes I prefer to make them and will do everything to correct them.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,428
Points 416,059
gini replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 2:40 AM

hi tiffany, welcome

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use