Kris replied on Tue, Apr 5 2011 12:36 AM

Welcome AJ.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 4,560
Loretta replied on Tue, Apr 5 2011 12:43 AM

Welcome AJ!!  You will definitely enjoy all the information and help you will find here.  I just recently joined myself and am still navigating through all the information and loving every minute of it!  MNNancy and Jean were a bit quicker to the draw than me on the question regarding where you found the retreat...I live in Minnesota in one of the southern suburbs of the Twin Cities, so I'm always interested in hearing where there might be something new and exciting to try! 

Enjoy!

One quilting project, like one cookie, is never enough.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,872
Points 420,184
gini replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 12:18 PM

hello aj,  welcome to the group     gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 275
AJ replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 6:44 AM

I had a very fun day on Friday. I actually took the day off from work (yay!!!) and traveled by bus with fellow quilters from the Calico Cupboard Quilt shop to the International Quilt Festival in Cincinnati, Ohio. I really enjoyed the day so much. The quilt exhibits were beautiful, I saw many things I would love to learn how to do, and some things not so much. I do love traditional quilts but I also find some of the art quilts to be very intriguing. I think I would like to try my hand some day with some landscape quilting and thread painting. But I need a whole lot more experience first. Also I enjoyed the vendor side of the show, it is like being a kid in the candy shop. Lots of great fabrics and tools. I did purchase some kits. My favorite booth had to be Primitive Gatherings out of Wisconsin. Love their look. I did purchase a wool table mat kit, because I do need a fast gift and I know I can make it pretty quickly and that my gift will be unique and handmade! It is blue hydrangeas on a black scalloped mat. Using the hand dyed wools it is already beautiful. Out of the 72 petals I only have about 8 left to cut.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,872
Points 420,184
gini replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 10:31 AM

aj, sounds like you had a great day.    don't worry about not having experience in landscape quilts and thread painting.   just jump in, those are two things best learned by doing.     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome to the group AJ.  I just joined myself and am having fun exploring the site and meeting new people.  I also consider myself to be a beginner as I am only self taught and don't get as much time to quilt as I would like.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 11:01 PM

AJ

Your mat sounds gorgeous.  I hope you will share a pic with us when you finish.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 11:03 PM

Margaret

There is nothing wrong with being self taught.  I would bet that a large majority of the quilters on this site are self taught myself included.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.