rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 275
AJ Posted: Sat, Apr 2 2011 7:54 PM

Hi all,

I am new to the club and just getting familiar with all that is here. I started sewing to earn my Junior Girl Scout Badge so many years ago. A neighbor across the street, Mrs Frisbee taught me all I know. We did garment sewing and each year she would guide us through a big project. We started simple with aprons then moved up to skirts, dresses and more. I even made a coat. When it was time to get married, she even helped me with my wedding dress! She gave me a love of sewing and a solid foundation.

Once my daughters were born there was not much time to sew. I worked on Halloween costumes for the girls and small projects when there was time to fit them in. A few years ago I joined my mother and sister for  a quilting weekend in Minnesota. And that started my quilting fun. I still consider myself a beginner. I have completed 2 log cabin Quilt in a Day quilts, a t-shirt quilt and a wall hanging. I have been going to my first block of the month class and have enjoyed it so much.

I love that I am sewing again, it is so much fun and I am learning a lot. I have joined a local quilt guild and have really enjoyed all the new friends I have met. Everyone has been so helpful to "the new kid on the block"!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,384
Points 175,243
Marie replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 8:12 PM

AJ welcome and I'm so glad you are sewing again.  You will love this group they are so helpful in every way not only quilting.  Enjoy and I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,018
Points 65,045
Robin replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 8:42 PM

AJ,

I had a similar start and stop and like Marie I'm glad you found your way back.  I find it to be one of the most rewarding hobbies.  Quilting is my favorite because of the ease the directions for most patterns written today.

Not many ruffles, or pleats.  Got to love it.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 9:38 PM

AJ

Welcome to the club.  I too started sewing when I was a young girl and made lots of my clothes and then made lots of clothes for my girls.  Now I rarely sew any type of garment but I do some type of quilting everyday.  Hope you share some pics of your quilts with us.  And also hope you drop in to chat frequently.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 9:44 PM

AJ:
A few years ago I joined my mother and sister for  a quilting weekend in Minnesota. And that started my quilting fun.

And here I am in Minnesota, and I'm planning to drive to Iowa in September for my first quilt retreat.  Where did you find one in Minnesota?

Welcome to QCA!  We look forward to getting to know you better!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 9:12 AM

Hi AJ welcome to the cllub,you will love it here,great people on this site. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 9:21 AM

Welcome, AJ.  Can't wait to hear about your quilting projects.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 11:19 AM

Hi AJ, happy to have you with us.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 521
Points 9,969
Jean replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 1:40 PM

Hello AJ and welcome!  I'm originally from MN and wondering where you went for your quilting weekend with your mother and sister?  BOM's are a great way to learn a lot of tips for new quilters and it sounds like you are well on your way to finding the joy of quilting!

Patch Up America.....Make A Quilt

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 275
AJ replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 5:39 PM

My sister belongs to a quilt guild, I am guessing the guild  was based in Marshall. She lives in Mineota. And the weekend was a quilt retreat with that group. It was held at a church camp, we stayed in a lodge which was beautiful. You had to bring linens for the beds, but there were kitchen facilities. We also took some meals in a separate building that was a dining hall, so no cooking! An added bonus. The retreat was in February so I got to see what winter in MN is like. I understand why lots of people in this part of the country quilt. Who wants to be out in the cold, snow and wind. I did have a great time, but would love to go back to Minnesota to experience another season.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 275
AJ replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 5:41 PM

I do have a question for all of you. What do the points mean and what do you do with them?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 9:02 PM

AJ

I have to laugh everytime I answer this question for people.  The real truth is nobody seems to know what the points mean but we earn them everytime we write a post or if someone responds to one of our posts.   We had a joke going that the one with the most points would receive a free longarm but so far none has been awarded....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

Welcome to the group, AJ.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 521
Points 9,969
Jean replied on Mon, Apr 4 2011 9:54 AM

Thanks AJ, I know the area in MN that you were at.  I'm sure you had a great time and summers in MN are great as you can always find a lake nearby!

Patch Up America.....Make A Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Welcome on board AJ.  Boy, we are getting quite a contingent up there in Minnesota lately.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use