Top 10 Posters

Hi to all

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Posted: Sat, Apr 2 2011 4:52 PM

Hi to you all. I am one of the 'new kids on the block' but I am far from being a kid. I have been sewing all my life and decided to try quilting over 30 years ago. It was all hit and miss but finally found that my love is paper piecing. I have 3 children, 8 grandchildren, 2 step grand children and 2 great grand children. At Christmas that is called a 'full house'. I enjoy sewing when I get the chance which is a little more now as I get older. And I hope to put more of my work in the Show and Tell Gallery real soon.

I also did a lot of paper cutting which is also called scherinschnitte.( I am not even sure I spelled it right.)  Anyhow when I thought I could not quilt a bed quilt I cut the design from paper and backed it with fabric and framed it. That was a lot of fun.

Oh yes, I started this life in NY, moved to NC and then VA and am now in Pennsylvania. I hope that I will find many friends here on QCA.

Joan

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 294
Points 3,235

Hi Joan, welcome!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 4:56 PM

Welcome Joan.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 4:59 PM

Hi, Joan.  I love paper piecing.  What patterns have you used and really loved.  I am always looking for suggestions for future projects.

Pat

• | Post Points: 35
replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 5:26 PM

Pat,

I have a ton of patterns but I find the most rewarding and the most challenging are the ones that create a picture. It's like painting a picture with different colors of fabric. I like the patterns on paperpanache.com  and quilters cache. I will start to put some more of my work in the gallery tomorrow. Both sites have really good patterns. I am working on a couple of pieces now from a published book (not saying which) where there are mistakes in the patterns and very poor instructions are given. You really need to know what you are doing to fiinish the project.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,490
Points 46,755

Welcome to QCA Joan. I have not tried paper piecing, but it is on the list. LOL. Looking forward to seeing some of your quilts!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022

Hi Joan, welcome to QCA,  this is a great place to meet alot of very nice and talented people

[Ava, Missouri

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 7:03 PM

Just went to paperpanache.com----what a wonderful site!  Thanks for the tip, Joan.  Have you done the Nativity from this site?

Pat

replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 7:31 PM

Yes I did!!! I will post it in a day or two. I want to post Good Friday first.

Joan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 174,543
Marie replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 7:55 PM

Joan, welcome to our great big happy family!  We would love to see your framed scherinschnitte so please post it along with your other show and tell pieces.

Millbury, MA

replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 8:03 PM

Pat, I just posted the Good Friday Banner.

Joan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,015
Points 64,940
Robin replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 8:45 PM

Joan,

Your work is beautiful!

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 9:30 PM

Joan

Welcome.  I like to do some paper piecing but boy do I make a mess....LOL>   I tend to have bits of paper everywhere.  I plan to do a large Mariner's Compass in the near future and it will be paper pieced.  I haven't had a chance to go to show n tell yet but I feel sure your work is gorgeous.  Don't know what the paper design you are talking about is but it sounds neat.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 9:39 PM

Nice to meet you, Joan!  It's so good to hear someone say that they love paper piecing.  It's the next quilting skill that I'd like to learn, but I've been put off by so many saying that they don't like it.  Having given up on finding a class nearby, I'm ready to buy one of the books recommended by others of our QCA members, so prepare yourself, I may come to you with questions soon!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 9:41 PM

Nancy

Paper piecing really isn't bad once you get used to thinking somewhat backwards.  I just tend to make a mess with little bits of paper but the results are awesome.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use