Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
cowgirl Posted: Fri, Apr 1 2011 3:46 PM

Hi
Everybody,   I'm a Native American woman from SD.  I have been sewing all my life it seams.  Presently I am working on perfecting my pattern for making moccasins out of fabric rather than leather.   I do a lot of sewing making regalia for dancing.  And yes, I am a cowgirl.  I'm not a young one though. 

I have done some quilting and have enjoyed my efforts as have my children and grand children.  My daughter who doesn't sew is  taking a college course on making a Star Quilt.  Native Americans( Lakota) are famous for our star quilts.  Anyway, I've been thinking about making another quilt and have decided  on a Broken Star quilt.  Sometimes its called a Star of Bethlehem too.  This is my problem.  I can't find a pattern anywhere.  I have searched the web and come up with nothing.  The pattern I want is the Broken Star with the insets, the smaller diamonds and squares that are also pieced in the same colors as the lone star in the middle.  I hope I am describing this well enough to be understood as to what I mean.  Now for my appeal.......does anyone have the pattern or know where I can purchase a copy? 

Thanks,  Linda

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625

Like this one?  I googled Star of Bethlehem and got this one.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625

or this one: 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 5:00 PM

If you don't find what you are looking for, I can draft a pattern for you using EQ.  I did find both of the designs that Vivian posted as pics.

Pat

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
cowgirl replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 7:32 PM

Greetings,

Wow! that was fast....  The picture of the quilt is the one I want.  The white squares that fill in between the lone star points and the broken points also need to be pieced....not sure how this is done, but I have seen the quilt completed.  In either the Quilters Newsletter or Keepsake Quilting cataloge has had a kit for sale that was done by one of those fairly famous quilters.  Can't think of her name!  I sure would appreciate having a pattern made.  I prefer the strip quilting method if that helps any.   I know the lone star can be done with strip quilting.    Thanks again.  Linda

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195

Beautiful quilt Vivian,   Linda, there isn't much that someone in this group can't find or do. Glad you got you answer so quiltly.  I think lone star quilts are so pretty.  I have not gotten brave enough to tackle doing one though.

Granny M

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 8:15 PM

This is a beautiful quilt.  Good luck making it.  I hope you'll posted it your gallery so we can see it when you finish.   Also I would love to see your moccasins.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590

Just a bit of extra info, tha gals around here who make traditional Morning Star quilts often strip piece them. You might contact your  tribal offices and ask them.  If I had to start somewhere, I think I'd call these folks.

http://www.browningmontana.com/museum.html

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 12:04 PM

Linda--

Let me know in a week or so if you need to have me design a pattern for you.  That will give you time to see if you come up with a pattern.

Pat

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 12:51 PM

Hey, Linda--

I know you would rather strip piece, but check out quiltsmart.com and click on 58" Lone Star and watch the video.  Then go to the left hand side and click on Queen Kits.  There you'll find a Broken Lone Star Kit.  I bought a Lone Star from them, but have not used it yet.  I know there are lots of people who have used this method (especially for Mariner's Compass).  Something to think about maybe.

Pat

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077

Hi Linda, welcome,So glad to see Vivian was able to help you.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625

Lets not be to hasty, I just found a picture of the quilt, didn't make it.  It is a bit challanging for me.  And may always be.  All the bias strips just give me cold shivers.  I did a French Braid quilt top (didn't quilt it yet) and man, the mistakes I made.  I would do a better job now, but when I made it I hadn't worked with bias yet.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
cowgirl replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 7:21 PM

Hi Vivian,  I was intimidated with the Lone Star too, but.....I got the Lone Star ina Day book by Elenore Burns and it was easy.  If you starch your fabric before you cut your strips it will hold it together with very minimal stretch.  Just be careful when you press not to slide your iron sideways; its where you get the stretching.  The initial strips are all straight grain.  Its a fun one to do.  The very first quilt I ever made was a log cabin then i decided on the Lone Star.  Being me, I never do something small and easy first, I  jump in with both feet.  I chose a King size lone star with 6 colors.  It is beautiful.  My kids are going to have to fight over that one when I'm gone cause I'm keeping it.  Thought you may be interested. 

Linda

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
cowgirl replied on Sat, Apr 2 2011 10:30 PM

Hello Ladies,  I found my pattern I've been looking for.  It was on Ebay of all places in one of the stores.  It even has the strip method that I like.  I also went to the quiltsmart.com site and ended up purchasing the Marinars Star kit.  I think Im going to really like that one.  I have used the quiltsmart foundations before.  I made a 38" star quilt for my daughter to raffle for the pre-school her little ones go to.  This is a slick way to make a star quilt.  I just wish the foundation was a little softer so the quilt ends up a little softer.  the one that I did I didn't put a bat in it.  I just outline stiched in the ditch directly onto fleece fabric and bound the edges.  Turned out wonderful.  Any more thats what I do for baby sized star quilts no matter which method I use.  Thanks for all your help and suggestions.  I appreciate you taking the time.  

Linda

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 10:55 AM

Glad you found your pattern.  Hope you will post a pic of your quilt when it is done.  If you ever need a pattern drafted, just let me know--I love playing around with EQ!

Pat

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use