Sue

Love the ears......

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,269
Points 35,190

Sue thanks for sharing the pictures.  Wish I had know about this show when I had time to plan to go.  I am only about 4 hours from  Cinn.  Maybe next year.  I have never been to a big show, IZ hear they are really great.   I wanted to go to Paducha but did not get to do that either.   Hope everyone that went had a really great time.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 4,940
Sue replied on Sat, Apr 9 2011 7:54 PM

Will ladies I had two really good class today Mrs Dixie McBride Gave us some really good tips about what judges look for in your quilt.  I did not know that they use two different systems  Danish which is % based  and the American which is judging the quilts against other quilts. and that your binding needed to be on the bias for it to last a long time because the threads are stronger and last longer. Make sure the binding is full of quilt or I don't think I am saying it right, how about this make sure your hamburger meat touches the edge of the bun? We had a fill in for because she had plane trouble  and he told us that they called the binding on a quilt some one had in class that it was a whisker catcher or a make up catcher. I did not know that. They both said to read the entry forms because some places keep your quilt for the prize  money or if you want to keep your quilt they keep the money. I really loved her class.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 4,940
Sue replied on Sat, Apr 9 2011 8:02 PM

They told us it will be their for two more years and have dates for six more but wanted to make sure they had a need or a good turn out and they did. Please do go if you get a chance and make sure you take a class and the luncheon they offer is a deal it is between the classes and I didn't under stand that you were served food and a guest speaker, every that went said it was a good deal. the lines to get food were very long and kind of high I am cheap.  

Sue 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 4,940
Sue replied on Sat, Apr 9 2011 8:34 PM

I want to tell you about the Imaging on Fabrics  New Ideals    Mary Ellen Kranz  excellent class learned a lot about printing on fabric and it is cheaper to make your own printer paper at the cost of one dollar a sheet V's three dollars a sheet if you buy them. She has a book I for got but you can go to her web site and look www.quiltingimages.com   I don't know how to make it link up sorry. But her book tells all about the different processes when I get the book I will let you know the name. There is a place that will print you a 1/4 of a yard to as many as you want and you can design it your self it is called Spoonflower.com you up load to their web sight and they print.

I asked if I could wash my memory quilts with picture in the Bubble Jet Rinse she said yes 1/2 cup on genital cycle, her book has all information. 

Thanks you for letting me share will you can you tell I had a really great time!!

This picture doesn't go with this class but I want you to see I had fun.

Sue

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 275
AJ replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 6:51 AM

Sue, I guess I read this a little late, but I did go on Friday.

I actually took the day off from work (yay!!!) and traveled by bus with fellow quilters from the Calico Cupboard Quilt shop to the International Quilt Festival in Cincinnati, Ohio. I really enjoyed the day so much. The quilt exhibits were beautiful, I saw many things I would love to learn how to do, and some things not so much. I do love traditional quilts but I also find some of the art quilts to be very intriguing. I think I would like to try my hand some day with some landscape quilting and thread painting. But I need a whole lot more experience first.

I enjoyed the vendor side of the show, it is like being a kid in the candy shop. Lots of great fabrics and tools. I did purchase some kits. My favorite booth had to be Primitive Gatherings out of Wisconsin. Love their look. I did purchase a wool table mat kit, because I do need a fast gift and I know I can make it pretty quickly and that my gift will be unique and handmade! It is blue hydrangeas on a black scalloped mat. Using the hand dyed wools it is already beautiful. Out of the 72 petals I only have about 8 left to cut.

Who was your favorite vendor? And did you get to meet anyone from the club?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 275
AJ replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 6:57 AM

I also agree with some of the other comments. I was not wild about the food arrangements. The lines to get food were long and then you had to carry it over to another line to pay, which was also very long. They needed twice as many registers. I had a taco salad and it was good. A little pricey, but anything at a convention hall is not going to be cheap. Also happy that it was not just hot dogs, there was a nice variety to pick from. I guess my biggest complaint was how long the lines were and the fact that they moved so slowly.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 4,940
Sue replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 7:18 AM

Hi AJ,

I was there on Friday and did the Face painting class and loved it all the teachers were very good and I did learn a lot. Sorry we missed each other but the next one is  April 13-15 2012 so maybe we can plan a little better and all wear some crazy head piece and then we can find each other in the crowd what do you think? I did get a lot of people come up to me and talked about the ears and the venders remember you to. I love to buy fabric so I did buy some but not much because I didn't really find anything that I really could not live with out. I did buy some Paint sticks so I could do more faces they are not cheap but but Miss Patti  said she had had some of hers for 20 years and we were using them. they are oil and if you leave them set out the heal them self like a skin and don't dry out.

Today I will be helping take things down at three it will take me about an hour and twenty minutes to get there to day.

The bus trip sounds like a good way to go I am glad you had a good time.

Sue

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 4,940
Sue replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 7:31 AM

Granny M,

I hope you get to go next year it will be April 13-15 2012 same place, parking is good food ? I took a peanut butter and jelly to eat so I didn't have to wait in line.

The crowd was not really bad and you steel do the luncheons even if you didn't do the class and eat and learn at the same time they are 2 hours of seating. I hear they had very good food to. I was telling AJ that maybe we could all wear a head piece and then we could find each other in the crowd what do you think?

I have to tell you Miss Mary Kranz every time she wanted us to stop talking she would wave her hands in the air and every one else had to do the same thing so she could talk and it worked she also said that every time some one see her they do the wave it was a very good ideal.

Sue

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 7:32 AM

Thanks for sharing Sue, loved your bunny ears.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 4,940
Sue replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 7:47 AM

Thank you I did have a lot of compliments and so people said they wish they could wear something like that but aren't quilters a little crazy and creative. There was a booth that soled   kits to make a crown to ware that was embellished to your very own flavor of crazy creativeness.

Sue     

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 4,940
Sue replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 7:56 AM

The National Quilting Assocation in Columbus Ohio June 16-18 2011 nqaquilts.org if any is interested.

Sue

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,810
Points 43,674
Eileen replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 10:27 AM

Great photos, Sue :-)  Looks like you had a good time.  Thanks for sharing with us!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,568
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 1:46 PM

great photos.. thanks for sharing... sounds like you had a blast..

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 4,940
Sue replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 10:36 PM

Just to let you know I just got home for taking down all the quilts that is a lot of work. I want you all to the quilts are handled with great care. Some and very few quilts had instruction as how to fold one quilt had a red line on the back of it to tell us where to fold it was great. Some quilts had the swimming noodles  with the quilt name on it and the quilters name on the noodle to so it would not get lost. Ladies these are all great thing to have with your quilts when they are traveling around or just tissue paper is used. But they are all rapped in the paper with great care. I was just nice to know how the quilter wanted their quilt folded if you are the packer. Now for some pictures.

Run for Flower by Lynn Buske Quilted by Linda Barrett

I wanted to show how small the squares are.

Orphan Blossoms by Timna Tarr

I hope you like the pictures sorry about names 

sue

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use