Questions about borders

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
142 Posts
Points 2,710
Cheri posted on Sun, Mar 27 2011 4:46 PM

OK, I am trying to get around the no double posting filter since I put my question is the wrong catagory.

I have a question about borders. Do they need to be the same on all four sides or has anyone ever made the side bigger than the top and bottom or vise versa??

Cheri

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,064 Posts
Points 21,335

I have made the top and bottom different from the sides before.  I usually do it if I need my quilt a little longer but don't want it any wider.  It can be however you want it to be.

Carol W. in Arkansas

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 4:59 PM

That's the beauty of making a quilt. You may follow a pattern, but its your own creation! So make it any way you need/want to!

I have put an extra border or made it bigger on the top and bottom to give the quilt some extra length.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Filed under:
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,414 Posts
Points 61,767

Cheri--

I've put borders on just the top and bottom of quilts, too and I've seen quilts with side borders that were different widths.  As others have said, it's your quilt, your decision.  Hope this helps.

Kissimmee, FL

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
142 Posts
Points 2,710
Cheri replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 7:04 PM

It does help. Thank you ladies. I usually start with a pattern but end up with something of my own creation. All of my quilts are turning out HUGE because I was afraid to have uneven borders. I guess it makes since if I can alter the pattern I could alter the borders. I was just afraid of having an uneven looking quilt.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,537 Posts
Points 416,944
gini replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 11:34 PM

i answered in your other thread, cheri,  sometimes i use the border to balance the colors inside the quilt.  you can do that with even borders and use color.   or you can make different sized borders for balance. sometimes uneven borders  add interest to an otherwise plain quilt. it's all good.      gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use