Top 10 Posters

Bits and Pieces, storage problem solved!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,606
Points 119,250
Judy Taylor-Bellingham Posted: Sat, Mar 26 2011 10:12 AM

May 2011 Tip Contest Winner!

You know those small fabric chunks that you can't bear to throw away?. I was putting them in a variety of things and tucking on shelfs or under things but very awkward to search through. I found one of those rolling file bins at a garage sale. I keep it under my sewing room counter and just toss in the pieces. It rolls under the counter and out of my way, but is at my finger tips when I need to dig through it.  Handy for practice pieces or a starting scrap.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Hi Judy~

Good idea! I keep a large tin under the cutting table and the scraps go there. The large tin was originally filled with popcorn. It's not wide enough for a fat cat to sleep in comfortably either.....lol though they have tried.

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,018
Points 65,045
Robin replied on Sat, Mar 26 2011 5:06 PM

I use a stack of hat boxes my dd got for a present and doesn't want.

Robin

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 12:14 AM

I picked up an over the door shoe holder and took out some of the stitching between the 'pairs'  so I have 12 large clear plastic spots to put my larger scraps, They are filed by color. The small scraps are in a large clear plastic container as DGD loves to pull them out and make (or get me to make) clothes for her webkins. She knows that is her bin, she can have whatever she wants in there. And when I have small scraps that I know I won't use for anything, they go into a pillowcase that is in a wastebasket on the floor, when it is 3/4 full I sew up the end, and I have a dog or cat bed for the local animal shelter.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 552
Points 11,595
Adele replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 9:37 AM

OMG what great idea ill have to use a few of them. Thanks so much

Adele 

Grand Junction, CO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,381
Points 175,198
Marie replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 9:40 AM

Laura BC what great ideas thanks for sharing.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Apr 15 2011 7:53 AM

Judy these are some great ideas. I need to figure out something to use .thanks Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 30
Donna replied on Sun, May 29 2011 9:53 PM

Thanks to all of you for great ideas!   I really like the bin on wheels idea.  What a great find.  I just had laminate flooring put in my sewing room and rolling units are easy to push out of the way.  Thanks!   Donna

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 140
4MyFun replied on Sun, May 29 2011 11:17 PM

I got a plastic 5 drawer caddy from WalMart for $19. It has two small drawers on top for my scissors, chalks etc.... Then the other 5 are for scraps. One I use for scraps I will trim into quilt shapes using my Accuquilt, one is for batting & fleece fill scraps & one is for scraps too small to use in my Accuquilt. I am planning on using the really small pieces for pillow & stuffing projects. Once my scrap drawer is filled I pull out my Accuquilt and cut all into shapes. Then I have 3 shoe size bins. One bin has 2" triangles; one bin that has 4 1/2" squares and one bin that has 2 1/2" squares. These bins stack nice right beside the 5 drawer cart & both sit under my cutting table. I almost have them full and that is when I start on a quilt.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 127
Points 2,250
Sherry replied on Mon, May 30 2011 5:09 PM

I love the idea of pet beds for the animal shelters. I have been using the roller bins, but of course I seem to accumulate lots of pieces that really toooooo small but I can't bear to part with. Now I can put them to good use. Thank you.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,198
Points 16,070
Susan replied on Mon, May 30 2011 5:14 PM

I love the pet bed idea too! Now  that can be my next project to work on. Thanks, Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

That's what I used today to stuff the fleece (also a scrap "hunk") pillow I made for the humane society shelter.  I got the tiny scrap pillow stuffing idea from a friend at my sewing guild a few months back and it work great. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use