Page 5 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 68 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, May 21 2011 11:30 PM

jane ,i have not had any problems with these blades ,they have worked good even in my hi dollar cutter..I hope you may have just gotten a bad batch ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 95

Thanks for the tip.  Wonder if Carpet store would have them and save shipping charges.  Will have to check that out.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 105
Judy K replied on Sat, May 28 2011 10:57 AM

I would suggest calling Harbor Freight to make sure they have them in stock first. I have been trying to get blades at my local Harbor Freight since the beginning of the year and they are always out. I have asked them to notify me or let me pay for them in advance and notify me when they come in and they told me they could not do that as they don't have enough staff to handle that. They can be ordered on line but they charge a lot for postage which makes it much more expensive.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 130

Heard about the rotary blades at my last quilt meeting.  If you have to ask about the blades, they are called carpet cutting blades.  When I asked about rotary cutter blades they said, "What's a rotary cutter?"  I got 2 packs and they work pretty good. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

I went to HarborFreight right after Kris sent us the information and they were already out and the clerk said, "Oh for quilting, right?" Now the shipping charges are up to $9.99 online. I just bought 2 of the whole thing, the cutter and all for $3.49 and got 3 blades. I used them and they cut just as good as the regular rotary cutter blades.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 410

Today is August 27 and I just went to the Harbor Freight Tools link in your post.  The blades are on sale for $1.49 for two blades.  Can't beat that!  Thanks for the tip, Kris!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:32 PM

I'm new to the quilter's club blog and it has already paid off. WOW!!!  on the blades. thanks

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:41 PM

Welcome Flojo.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 3,725
Melissa replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 10:05 AM

I know some folks have had very bad luck with the Harbor Freight blades, but I have to share my story. We moved into a new home recently and most of my quilt room is still packed as we are having a lot of remodeling done and will be using my sewing space as our bedroom. I found and unpacked my rotary cutter, but have not yet found the blades. The blade in it is from Harbor Freight and I am sure it was used on fabric before I moved, but I don't know for how long. Since we moved here, my husband had to replace that rubber gasket on the bottom of the garage door that keeps out the water when it rains. The new one was too wide to slide into the track, so he brought all like 20 feet of the thing into my sewing room and we began cutting by hand. After a few feet, it occurred to me that the rotary cutter would be so much faster. We used it to finish what we'd started, flipped it and cut the other side, too. So I am guessing we went through over 30 feet of rubber gasket with that thing. Fast forward to MQ5 and my decision to cut my own worms. I still couldn't find my blades and couldn't get to the store just then, so I grabbed the cutter with the same blade and cut my worms and my 192 squares. Now I won't fib and say it was like a brand new blade, but except for a few threads here and there, it did the job through 2 layers. I know they aren't the fancy blades and to be fair, the company doesn't make them for use by sewists, but for carpet layers. They work well for me and frankly, when I was younger and starting out, I am not sure that I would have been able to afford the better blades. So I say, buy one pack and try them out.

Melissa
http://ardeasnest.blogspot.com
"Love isn't what makes the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile."

Page 5 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use