Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089
Helen Bell Posted: Tue, Sep 1 2009 10:20 PM

I have often seen the sharpeners in the store and wondered if they work and are they really worth it in the long run...there is nothing like a brand new blade in the cutter...I always wonder to myself...why did I wait so long to change the blade...haha

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,549
Points 245,907
Thea replied on Tue, Sep 1 2009 10:23 PM

Helly, I used to have one years ago and it did work some - just like sharpening a knife - but they dulled faster - I think there is a new one on the market that is supposed to be very good... I had a fiskars and it is around here somewhere - I buy my blades in bulk though so haven't worried about it  - I do need to buy some more - this paper piecing dulled this blade quick - I put a new one in when I started doing this quilt and already had to change it... I may buy the new sharpener and try it as I have all my used blades... I keep them in the little yellow case that the new blades come in - have one for old blades and one with the brand new blades... might be worth trying again...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Tue, Sep 1 2009 10:42 PM

Hi Helly

The rotary sharper I use is called  " Tri-Sharp "   Dual Rotary Blade Sharpener.

I have not bought a new blade in a year.

Anita

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I had one years ago that looked very much like your Tri-Sharp Anita and it worked well but I don't know what happened to it after we moved. I guess I'll have to look into getting a new one. I think there is a sponsor here that has sharpeners, I guess I should go and take a look see.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 3:04 AM

I haven't used one but I heard they only last for a short time. I use dull blades for cutting paper.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Thanks ladies...always lots of advise on here..

Althea, where do you buy blades in bulk? I have bought them at the Lancaster QHC but we are not going this year...I got 10 blades for $13 and that was amazing for me

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,549
Points 245,907
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:22 AM

We have the OK state guild that sells them - I haven't had to buy any in about 3 years - just getting ready to do it again.  I think AQS also sells them but it has been a while...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 5:30 PM

I found a site that will exchange your old blades for new ones. I'm going to give it a try. Check it out here.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Thanks for the info on the blades ladies, I had no idea about buying them in bulk or trading them in. I usually wait until JoAnns has them for 40% off, but even then they are really pricey.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,810
Liz replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 6:34 PM

hi Helly,

I have gotten the blade sharpener from the QCA sponsor USA sharpeners.  There is a coupon located under sponsors to download in the green title bar look for USA sharpeners.

I liked mine so much I ordered one for my daughter for her birthday.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

Helen Bell:

Althea, where do you buy blades in bulk? I have bought them at the Lancaster QHC but we are not going this year...I got 10 blades for $13 and that was amazing for me

Helly, I buy them at Wal-Mart in a pack of 10.  I don't remember the price because it's been a while since I bought them, but it beats the heck out of buying them one at a time ... even at 40% off.

Southwest Florida

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Sep 5 2009 8:40 PM

Kris:

I found a site that will exchange your old blades for new ones. I'm going to give it a try. Check it out here.

I was going to thank you for this great link, but then I saw the highlighted text - "Minnesota residents add 6.5% sales tax."  Couldn't you find a blade exchange in some other state, Kris??  :-)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

MNnancy:

Kris:

I was going to thank you for this great link, but then I saw the highlighted text - "Minnesota residents add 6.5% sales tax."  Couldn't you find a blade exchange in some other state, Kris??  :-)

Oh, good, someone else to tease Kris! LOL!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 12:37 AM

MNnancy:

Sorry Nancy. I'll try to do better next time. LOL.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 6 2009 12:38 AM

Judy Iliff:
Oh, good, someone else to tease Kris! LOL!

Help! I need back up. Someone, anyone. I'm out numbered here. LOL.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use