Top 10 Posters

2012 Southeastern Quilt Retreat

Page 4 of 19 (280 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 279 Replies | 39 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 10 2011 4:15 PM

Marge

I haven't found much in North or South Carolina yet.  I have found Holloway's Country Home in Cosby, TN that sounds nice.  It is 20 miles outside of Gatlinburg.  Still looking for other options.  I have been trying to avoid going too far South or North so that traveling will be better for everyone.  See what you can find and throw it in the pot so that we can all make a good decision based on what is out there.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

I found a "cabin" in Gatlinburg that sleeps 26  :o)  Too bad it cost over $1000 a night!.  :- O  Plus it doesn't have anywhere to sew.  But it is gorgoeus --- lots of decks and balconies and HOT TUBS!!! It's called Big Bear Lodge for anyone who wants to drool. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Oh - I take that back.  Big Bear will sleep up to 54 people.  Well then - $1500 a day in "high season" divided by that many people isn't all that bad now is it?  Still not enough room to sew.  :o( 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Mar 10 2011 4:43 PM

What trip in Washingto, State or DC?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Peggy~I will add your family to my prayer list. May God be with you.

North of Boston MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

2012 Southeastern Quilt Retreat......all I have to say about this is "poop". I'll need mega quantities of pictures. :o{{{

North of Boston MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,262
Points 112,795
Linny t replied on Thu, Mar 10 2011 5:18 PM

Nana, check out Dillard House in Dillard GA. They have lots of cabins that sleep large qty's of people. It's at the top of GA & right near the N.Carolina, Tennessee state lines. It's near Franklyn, NC which had 3 quilt shops the last time I was there.  More in GA, too.  It's in the Smokey mountains.  Beautiful place, with horseback riding, real good food and antique shops all around it.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Diane - if Kris and Marie come, can you hitchhike with them????

I have been letting my fingers do the walking here tonight and have actually found a place in Townsend TN (close enough to ALL those quilt and other goodies in the Gatlinburg area) that has meeting facillities and nice looking "cabins" that sleep 20 and 40 people respectively.  Nothing much in North Carolina that I can find yet.  Found something in Dahlonega GA ( where gold was discovered before California!) but for more bang for our bucks, TN looks more promising. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Thu, Mar 10 2011 7:03 PM

This is beginning to sound like fun.  I think I'll try to come as well.

Cindy

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Mar 10 2011 7:15 PM

Count me in as a hopeful "tentative."  I'd love to see this part of the US, but the date is a little far out to know what our family/travel plans will be at that point.

With so many quilt shops in the area, I wonder if any of them offer retreat space.  We have one an hour from here that does, and I don't think you'd find out about it doing a Google search since it's mainly known as a quilt shop.   Contacting the quilt shops might also be a way to learn about other retreat centers in the area.

Secondly, the quilting table space is probably more important than sleeping rooms.  I think about half of the participants in this fall's Iowa retreat are staying at nearby motels.   If you share a motel room with even just one other, it is actually cheaper than the combined cost of two people at the retreat center.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,956
Points 368,392
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 12:23 AM

Joni:

What trip in Washingto, State or DC?

Washington State Joni. October 2011 Patti organised it.

We've been chatting about it here.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 3:29 AM

Peggy , I am so sorry to hear of your daughters troubles.  and you taking in those babies. Man I know its hard . you thought you were done raising children. but at least yo know they are in a safe enviornment. and they are probably just as scared as cane be. I will say a prayer for you and your babies everyday. You are their Angel..BArbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 3:35 AM

Heather ,no I'm not gonna make that one. It was just to close to the one I'm hosting in Sept. It would have been nice ,I've never been there. Maybe the next one.  You be careful with your move and I hope you are going to have lots of help. I'll keep uyou in my prayers that all goes well..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,518
Points 30,875
Diana replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 5:25 AM

Hi Marge,

Sure, Kris and Marie are more than welcome to ride with me.  All those areas are good for me.  I could pick them up at the airport and take them to the retreat site.  The more the merrier. 

DH has been to Dahlonega, GA gold panning.  Yup, he has a small amount of gold he has panned in NC, GA, and TN. I even wear two pieces around my neck that he found.  We want to travel out west so he can do some out there too.   Gatlinburg is great and tons of things to see and do.  According to the time of year, there's Dollywood inn Pigeon Forge,  lots of quilt shops in the area, and even a few quilt shows at different times of year.  I'm going to the Pigeon Forge quilt show today as a matter of fact.  There is a Quilt Show and Apple festival in Oct. up towards Johnson City, TN. (about 1 1/4 hour away).  Just some ideas.

Diana in East Tn.

P.S.  I have 2 sewing machines and will have a third for me by then so there's 2 spares that I'll lend to use at the retreat.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Diana - I was referring to Diane Morgan hitching a ride with Marie and Kris --- the third member of the ECB. 

Nancy, the quilt shop in Cosby has a retreat space.  Only sleeps 6 and I can't tell from the pictures on their website how many it would accomodate comfortably for sewing.  Dave and I will be staying "right down the road a piece" in May so I can check it out.  I may be able to check out the retreat center in Townsend that sleeps 20 too.  Hotels is that whole area can be pricey because it is such a popular vacation area.  There is really no "off" season. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Page 4 of 19 (280 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use