Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 10 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 58
Points 1,670
Lisa FA Posted: Thu, Mar 3 2011 7:02 PM

I am new to QCA, and I notice that there is not a group for those interested in making art quilts.  Is this something that others would be interested in?  I would define "art quilt" to mean something that does not fall into the traditional quilting patterns.  I could see the group discussing techniques, inspirations, etc., more experienced art quilters being able to offer advice to those of use newer to it,  and perhaps having "challenges" where we choose a subject or inspiration for making a quilt every couple of months and each share our individual interpretation.  

I would love to hear from other fans of art quilting to see if creating an art quilt group seems like a good idea.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,763
Points 365,032
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 3 2011 7:34 PM

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the group.

I love looking but I haven't made an art quilt yet. Too chicken I guess. I'm sure there are other here who would be happy for such a group.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,183
Points 111,515
Linny t replied on Thu, Mar 3 2011 7:50 PM

Hi, Lisa.  I think it would be a wonderful idea. 

Have you seen the show that is on TV hosted by Pokey Bolton called Quilting Arts?  It's all about art quilts; multi media & fiber art type stuff.  I love watching that show.  I haven't made one, but a lot of the ideas translate to crazy quilt which is what I'm up to now days.

Linny T

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 58
Points 1,670
Lisa FA replied on Thu, Mar 3 2011 8:01 PM

No Linny, I haven't seen that show.  I'll try to find it, thanks for the tip :) 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 275

I would second that idea.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 275

Yes and besides the shows, Pokey I believe is the Editor in chief of the magazine Quilting Arts by

www.interweave.com

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 275

We could start with small projects like just blocks.  I think that is doable for most people.

Qwara

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,183
Points 111,515
Linny t replied on Thu, Mar 3 2011 8:23 PM

You are exactly right, Qwara.  I love that magazine.  She also does a daily e-zine type blog called Quilting Daily.  Here's the link to subscribe, if anyone's interested.  It's a tool for marketing their books, but there's some really good perks to getting it.  One is the occasional free e-books.  They also have Beading Daily and other "daily" blog type publications that you can subscribe to.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 3 2011 8:32 PM

Lisa

I love art quilts but have never attempted to make one.  Like Kris ...I think they scare me...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Fri, Mar 4 2011 8:02 AM

An art quilt group would be fun--I need someone to push me to do more art quilts.

Pat

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 777,995

Hi Lisa -

Thanks for contributing ideas right off the bat! I'll alert QCA Liz S to this thread. She helps get groups set up - and has also made several art quilts - who knows? She may join the group, too. ; ) It's a great idea and would make a wonderful addition to the existing groups we have. Plus, as people pop in to see what everyone is up to, it may make the concept of an art quilt perhaps less intimidating or scary.

Best,

QCA Peg

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,407
Points 415,669
gini replied on Fri, Mar 4 2011 12:23 PM

great idea, lisa,   i have made a few small things, but would be interested in making more artsy quilts.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,407
Points 415,669
gini replied on Fri, Mar 4 2011 12:25 PM

here are some little two inch quilts i made a couple of years ago.   they were way too much fun to make.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 4 2011 1:16 PM

Gini

These are so neat.  But there is no way I could work on something that small.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 58
Points 1,670
Lisa FA replied on Fri, Mar 4 2011 1:58 PM

Gini those are so cute :)

Thanks to everyone for being so encouraging about my idea for an art quilt group :)  I love the idea of making small quilts.  It's a great way to learn new techniques or try out ideas.

Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use