rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,625
Candy Posted: Fri, Aug 28 2009 11:29 AM

Morning!

Thought I would ask the "Experts" here on QCA.  I just finished a baby quilt for my grandbaby to be.  (Will post when I am finished with the binding)   I made the Yellow Brick Road quilt and a patchwork back out of Suzy's Zoo fabrics and coordinating pastels.  (The baby's room is being done in Suzy's Zoo)  We don't know what the baby will be because my daughter wants a surprise.  Anyways, the baby is due at Christmas, so I thought I would also make a flannel baby quilt.  I have large pieces up to 2 yards, and small pieces...Suzy's Zoo as well as other baby fabrics pieces left over from burpies that I made.  I have been wracking my brain as to a pattern.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Candy in Wi

When life gives you scraps, Make quilts!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 1,975
WeeOne replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 11:39 AM

Sounds like a scrappy quilt.  I looked up Suzy's Zoo fabric.... cute!  Whatever you do, don't stress over it.  I did that with the first grandchild's quilts.  I've tried a Strip Twist pattern, and it's fun and easy.

Good Luck!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Candy,

I wish I could help, but I'm such a fly by the seat of my pants quilter that I make things up as I go.

I'm not sure if you have enough of the Suzy's Zoo to use as center blocks on a log cabin, but that would be cute, just a thought.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,625
Candy replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 12:04 PM

Yep, I do mostly scrappy type quilts because they are my favorite.  Suzy's Zoo is discontinued, but my daughter was able to locate a limited amount on the internet.  The room is going to be very cute.  The quilt turned out nice...simple, yet pretty.  What is a Strip Twist pattern?

Candy in Wi

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,625
Candy replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 12:05 PM

Spud,

That is a thought.  I really want simple because flannel quilts are meant to be used and abused. 

Thanks!

Candy in Wi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,431
Points 243,442
Thea replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 12:38 PM

Candy, Unless the print in the Suzie's zoo is very large - I might just make a 9 patch - no sashing jut do a simple 9 patch as big as you want to make it - that way if there are pieces you want to highlight you could put them in the middle block. 

I love flannel for baby quilts and just did a rocking horse quilt from them.  I have also done squares but sewed them on the diagonal line and put large squares in the corners - if you have a print that could make something like that. 

Or make a large 4 patch and applique a heart out of one of the materials over top of the 4 patch... and maybe a star - moon - bunny - dog - cat - all sorts of ideas come into my head... so just leaving you with these for the moment.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

If you wanted to fussy cut some of the animals, Candy, you could make a big center block, like 4-5" square, and then do a kind of log cabin strips around it. I did this with a quilt I made for a friend's daughter. The daughter loves bugs, so I cut 4" squares of various bugs, and then did light and dark logs in the log cabin pattern. I think I have a picture. I'll attach it.

Gillette, WY

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

WeeOne, welcome to QCA!

I noticed this was your first post. Please introduce yourself to us and tell us about your quilting experience. We're a nosy bunch, so fill us in! :-)

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

WeeOne, I totally missed the fact that this is your first post and I want to say Hi and welcome to QCA!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,625
Candy replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 4:20 PM

Judy,

Thanks so much for the idea...love it!

Candy in Wi

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,625
Candy replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 4:22 PM

Althea,

Great ideas.  I am saving all the ideas and then figuring out what to do with the fabrics I have.  I find that sometimes the simplest patterns are the prettiest!

Candy in Wi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Candy:

I find that sometimes the simplest patterns are the prettiest!

I totally agree, I like simple and scrappy. I like to look at the more elaborate quilts and the art quilts but they are not for me. I guess I'm just a plain ole country girl at heart.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35

Judy Would love to have some more ideas for baby quilts if you would share.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Cheryl, another thing you might do is make snowball blocks. You could feature/fussy cut some of your fabric. If you didn't want snowballs next to each other, you could alternate them with 4- or 9-patches.

Gillette, WY

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Tue, Nov 2 2010 7:27 AM

Cheryl,

Along the same theme as the snowball quilt you could do a snowballs in 9 patch which would add a little more interest.

Cindy

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use