Top 10 Posters

Stitch in the ditch or some other method for a beginner?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
50 Posts
Points 1,045
Christy G. posted on Sun, Feb 20 2011 10:54 PM

Ok, I know I am out of season (well maybe not since I live in AK) but I just finished a wall hanging quilt top of a Christmas tree. How do I quilt it? Do I try to draw lines around the Christmas tree to quilt and echo it?I think that is a term. I don't exactly know what stitch in the ditch is so while that seems relevant how would I do that. Please help. Should I upload picture of the quilt top for help? Also, the on the Christmas tree itself is DMC floss for the garland and sewn on to that cute little buttons for ornaments. I was going to look up stitch in the ditch in the "Quilting Terms" area but had trouble navigating it.

Thank you. Christy G.

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,114 Posts
Points 410,999
gini replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 12:45 AM

oh, and cristy,   cute wall hanging   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

You are exactly in season.  I never have time for Christmas crafts before Christmas, only after.  I am making placemats to give for next Christmas (if they last that long)  Stich in the ditch is hard but it can be done.  You have to focus and go a little slower until you get the hang of it.  I started with straight seams before I did anything curved to get the feel for it.  Snowflakes quilted into the white would look different in a meander pattern. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,831 Posts
Points 106,160

Christie, it's so cute!  It's going to be adorable with the floss and buttons.  Are you wanting to join the free motion group?  Up at the top of your screen there's a tab named Groups.  Click on that.  Then scroll down the list to the FMQers group.  Then look on the right hand side.  You will see and option to join the group.  Click on that and that's all it takes.

Another good option for new quilters is to do a grid.  That might look good in the background, too.  Look on your batting package and it will tell you how much quilting is recommended, say for example, not more than 3" apart.  Once you achieve that, the rest is decorative and totally up to you.  Just make sure you keep the quilt sort of "evenly saturated".  I mean don't have areas with tons of quilting and others with not much because it may not be flat if you do.

Linny T

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 10:42 PM

Christy,

Your quilt is lovely. Meandering is a good beginner stitch and I would use it also in the tree but use a fancy thread, metalic or something that is shiny. You will love the FMQ group!

Toledo, OH

Not Ranked
51 Posts
Points 785
Beth D replied on Fri, Feb 25 2011 8:22 AM

Hi Christy,

I have only been quilting a couple of years, and I don't do much stitching in the ditch.  I have a hard time staying on the seam, then I get stressed about it, then I remind myself that I'm doing this for fun and relaxation, then I promise myself I won't stitch in the ditch again....ugh!  :)  Personally, I like to meander - make it look like open puzzle pieces.  I plan to join the FMQ group and learn to venture out. 

Your wallhanging is adorable!

MNnancy - I'm pretty sure there is some rule of nature that says "where there is a camera, there will be a cat".  :)

Beth in SC

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,114 Posts
Points 410,999
gini replied on Sat, Feb 26 2011 12:21 AM

hi beth d   welcome        gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,114 Posts
Points 410,999
gini replied on Sat, Feb 26 2011 12:22 AM

hi beth d, welcome     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
448 Posts
Points 5,660

I would do a meandering stitch around the tree in the white area for sure. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,057 Posts
Points 170,727

Beth D:
I'm pretty sure there is some rule of nature that says "where there is a camera, there will be a cat".  :)

Beth, I'm sure the rule further states that "where there is a quilt, there will be a cat," so bring out a quilt and a camera and you can pretty well admit defeat!  LOL

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
203 Posts
Points 3,135

I start my Christmas gifts for the next year on December 26th.  I always try to give a homemade gift to each person who comes to the Party and that can get to be alot of people.

I started my first quilt with stitch in the ditch.  I have a special foot for my Phaff sewing machine that has a guide so it lays in the seam nicely and makes it easier. 

My idea would be to outline the tree about 1/4 inch from the seam line on both sides of the seam.  It will give a little lift and will show all your hard work a little better.  Stipple in the back ground areas.  That will also make the Tree stand out.  Hope this helps.

from Minnesota

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use