Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 2,524
Pam Schue Posted: Wed, Aug 26 2009 7:28 PM

Have any of you girls ever used fusible batting?  You iron it on while making your quilt sandwich.   I've tried my hand at the spray basting and don't really care for it.  I was looking to add some extra batting to some applique pieces for more loft but this part of the quilt will not get quilted and I don't want the batting to shift.  I was thinking about using the fusible batting but don't know if it will come loose after washing.  I think this might work for small areas but not sure about using it for a larger quilt.  Any suggetions?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Sorry Pam have not seen this, I will be interested to see what others have to say!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 7:55 PM

Pam-- I don't think I've ever heard of fusible batting.  I bet it would do the trick for what you're doing though.  It would maybe be a good thing for those who do the trupunto.  I like the looks of trupunto but don't think I'd ever do a quilt with it. At least, not now.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,846
Points 366,302
Kris replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 8:12 PM

Pam,

used fusible fleece in my computer bag project. I think fusible batting works the same way. I think it's good for small projects.

I don't think it will come loose after washing. It's supposed to work like fusible interfacing.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,017
Thea replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 8:28 PM

It actually washes out just like the spray basting washes out.  It is temporary holding for batting... I had some Hobb's but did not care for it as much as I like the spray... the package says it is just a temporary hold.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,846
Points 366,302
Kris replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 8:40 PM

Althea :

It actually washes out just like the spray basting washes out.  It is temporary holding for batting... I had some Hobb's but did not care for it as much as I like the spray... the package says it is just a temporary hold.

Thea,

the adhesive washes out. Do you think the batting will shift if used to add dimension to the quilt? For instance if I use it in my applique project?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 8:42 PM

I don't like to use it for quilts.  It tends to be stiff.  I'm sure it would wash out and soften up but it is not my preference.  It definitely does not take away the need to quilt.  It is just a temporary way to hold the layers together.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,017
Thea replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 9:35 PM

Kris:

Thea,

the adhesive washes out. Do you think the batting will shift if used to add dimension to the quilt? For instance if I use it in my applique project?

Kris, i think the package that I have says you have to quilt every 8" - so if you used it for dimension and have quilted around that area - then it should stay right where it is - but if you have just put it underneath something and are thinking that the glue would keep it there - I wouldn't trust it... I would sew around the area as though I was doing trapunto.  just a single line of stitching around the area.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,846
Points 366,302
Kris replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 11:39 PM

Thanks Thea.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 2,524
Pam Schue replied on Thu, Aug 27 2009 5:53 AM

Thanks for all your imput girls. I think I'll try the batting on another project. It doesn't sound like it is what I want for this one.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

I am thinking too, that it would still have to be stitched around the edges...It would be terrible for it to shift after all the work...spray baste is only temporary too..there is a product called "liquid stitch" that will bond the layers but not sure if that is they way to go either

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,017
Thea replied on Thu, Aug 27 2009 12:25 PM

That is the thing I liked about both the fusible batting and the spray basting that they were temporary -

I didn't like the fusible batting that I got for 2 reasons - one it wouldn't move after I put it on - when I would pull to straighten out a pucker - and shame but there is always one no matter what I do - but I would try to get the fabric and batting apart to straighten it out and it would pull apart rather then release like the spray does

my 2nd reason was - I love 100% cotton... I love all cotton fabric and batting quilts - you wash and dry them and they pucker up just a little and look so awesome...

this fusible batting that I got was 80/20 - now I got it over 7 years ago because that is when I started using Quilter's dream and now only use it... so they may have changed since then - but for me it was hard to use them... not easy like I had hoped...lol

always looking for a shortcut - if quilting has taught me anything it is that although it might take longer to do it - it is the right way to do it... some shortcuts are good but most in quilting just cause me problems later...lol

That is another thing I have - I have a whole bat of this fusible in the closet.  I seem never to throw anything awa. - so I can add this to the mish mash of thangle things that I have..

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use