Top 10 Posters

Hi - Another Newbie to introduce herself :-)

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 230
Susmand Quilts Posted: Tue, Feb 15 2011 1:49 PM

I am new to the OCofA.  I've been a quilter for about seven years. My first quilt took me four years to finish (but I did make a couple more in between there).  I've been unemployed for the past couple of years, taking care of my husband and his grandmother.  Over the past year and a half I've gotten real heavy into quilting and for Christmas my husband bought me a Husqvarna Mega 18 with frame and QuiltSewClever.  Up until now I have done all my own quilting on my DSM. 

The trouble I am having with my Husky is what sent me on a quest to find LA tutorials online and that is how I found QCofA.  I'm sure that I have been to the website before but with all the information overload I think I tabled the decision to join until now.  If anyone has a Husky with the QuiltSewClever I'd love to hear about it!

I have sewn apparel for over 40 years (that was when they had Home Ec in grade school), my first quilt I made (and I didn't even consider it a quilt back then) was when I was still in high school.  I claim the Bursting Star quilt on my bed as I first quilt (started in 2002 and finished in 2006).  I love fabric, piecing, patterns and the effect quilting gives to the whole project. 

I'm very anxious to get these LA issue figured out - that is the main reason why I joined QCofA.  I have two wall hangings and two quiltstops ready to go and a step-son who is getting married in October who will just need to have a quilt for those cold Tennessee winters!

Happy to be here, anxious to learn as much as I can; I must confess I have belonged to another quilting board for about a year and a half but it doesn't have the tutorial links that this one does.  I am certain I will learn a lot and hopefully not spend as much time on the computer as I do on my machines ;-)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 1:58 PM

Hi, I also bought a Mega Quilter and I am also having some issues with it.  I am going to call the last owner and she can give me a lesson or two.  So, how cold does it actually get in Tennessee? 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 2:11 PM

Hi and Welcome to the site.  Hope you enjoy your time with us and drop in and chat occasionally.  We love hearing from new people and learning about their quilting.  We also love seeing pictures.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 2,480
Heather replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 3:31 PM
Hi - my name is Heather and I currently reside in Nashville, Tennessee. Yes, the winters can be really cold...however, nothing compares to New York weather. I went up one time for New Years and have never been so cold in all my life! Anyways, lol, welcome to the club. I have only been quilting since October, however, I like to think that I have caught on quick. My dear friend and instructor agrees...lol. Everyone on this site is extremely kind and knowledgeable so I'm sure that you will enjoy it here. Please, feel free to enjoy the site groups - you will love it. I certainly do!
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Hi and welcome to the clan.  :o)  I can't help you with your problems but am glad your here.  Hope you join in some of our fun. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 230

I am not sure how cold the winters are in Tennessee but my step-son is hoping to get on the police force in Memphis - he is recently Army discharged - and if they don't settle in Tennessee they will most likely stay in Ohio where I understand it is very cold this year.  We are west coast, just moved to Northern California in Sept from NW Arizona via SoCal (originally from Portland, Oregon) so not used to too much cold but our quilts keep us warm!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 5:21 PM

Hi and welcome to the club

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,160
Granny M replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 5:37 PM

Welcome to the club.  Can't help with your issues, but wanted to welcome you.  I am sure there is someone out there that will be able to help

Granny M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 6:14 PM

Welcome to the club, I hope you can find some answers to your questions ,I don't have a clue. you will really like it here.there are really so many skilled people on this site..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 6:51 PM

So, if you read the posts everyone says its cold but no one says what the temperature is.  I am curious.  When its cold here, its 35 to 40 below.  if its windy ( and if the wind is off the mountains, it's cold) it is even colder.  I have a need to know.  one of the ladies who writes in had a picture of her grandchildren with the freshly fallen snow which was a novelty for them and i would still be wearing my sandals.  I can't fathom warm weather all year round!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 7:22 PM

Welcometo QCA! You will love it here. Lots to learn and do. I am sorry but I don't have the machine you want help with but hopefully some does that can assist you.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 7:43 PM

I have a Mega Quilter--is there something I can help you with

Pat M.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 7:44 PM

Glad to meet you.  Hope we can help you from time to time and that we can gain tips from you also.

Pat M.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:18 PM

Vivian

LOL>  There is no way I would survive in your climate.  To me anything less the 50F is too cold and I much prefer it to stay in the 70s.   It does get down in the negatives occasionally during our winter season but we truly only have about 2 months of "cold" with temps 30's and less.  I much prefer southern warmth to the northern cold.....

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,156
Points 111,110
Linny t replied on Wed, Feb 16 2011 11:30 AM

Hi and welcome to QCA.  Hope you can post some pictures of your work.

Linny T

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use