Suggestions for Hand quilting star blocks

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
44 Posts
Points 1,245
Brenda H posted on Mon, Feb 14 2011 1:31 PM

I'm hand quilting my Stars around the Garden quilt.  For the appliqued center and boarder, I'm outlining the applique and cross-hatching.  For the sashing, I've made up a vine with leaves similar to what's in the applique.  My question is how should I quilt the star blocks.  I've had one suggestion to outline quilt the triangles and squares in each block, but I was thinking of doing the same overall pattern in each block or at least in the center square of each block since they are similar in size.  Here is my quilt.   I've finished quilting the center and almost finished with the sashing.  I would like to do the blocks next.

Brenda H

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,490
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 1:51 PM

Brenda

Your quilt is gorgeous.   If you want to do a pattern in the center of the squares.... how about doing a flower shape ..similiar to the appliqued flower and then do outline quilting of the actual star.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,760 Posts
Points 247,454

Brenda, this quilt is beautiful. I'm just learning to hand quilt and I can't even imagine mine looking this good. I have no suggestions ,but I do like Nana's idea..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,844 Posts
Points 106,345

Brenda, this is such a beautiful quilt!  I like the idea of doing a flower in the center of the starts that mimics the applique flowers.  

Linny T

Not Ranked
Female
44 Posts
Points 1,245

Thanks for the input.  I like the idea of doing a flower in the center.  I kept thinking feather, but thought that would be alot.

Brenda H

Top 100 Contributor
Female
786 Posts
Points 20,015
Carol replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 11:28 PM

Brenda - beautiful quilt, great job - wish I could see the handquilting up close,  looks like it's so perfect!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,265 Posts
Points 35,160

Brenda that quilt is beautiful.  I can't do hand quilting anymore, my hands just won't cooperate.  So I love to see what others are doing.  

Granny M

Not Ranked
Female
55 Posts
Points 900

quilting 1/4 inch on each side of the seam is nice. If you did a lot quilting in your applique block, then you should keep a good balance in the rest of the quilt

Not Ranked
Female
45 Posts
Points 1,000
LindaE replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 8:27 AM

One consideration that you need to be aware of is the quilting requirement of your batting. Depending on how big the pieces of your star are, you may want to quilt in the ditch of the star parts, and echo quilt inside the shape. Most batting should not require very dense quilting, but I have some older cotton that requires no more than 2" apart in any direction.

It is  a lovely quilt!

Linda in Amish Country, Ohio

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 9:08 AM

Brenda

What a gorgeous quilt, I'm so glad you are hand quilting it!  I wish I liked to applique, I would do your quilt in a heartbeat.  I am hand quilt a quilt now, as my arthiritis allows, I fear it will be my last to handquilt.

Everyone is giving you the greatest advice, I won't bother adding my repeat to theirs.  We are so fortunate for this awesome group of friendly, talented, loving quilters.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,598

Brenda this is a beautiful quilt.  You have gotten some great input on how to quilt your stars.  I look forward to seeing your post of the finished quilt. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
843 Posts
Points 18,920
Cindy replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 3:24 PM

Brenda,

What a Beauty!  Very nice job.

Cindy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,123 Posts
Points 411,179
gini replied on Mon, Feb 21 2011 11:53 AM

brenda, what a beautiful quilt   cross-hatching in the border would show off the applique wonderfully    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,649 Posts
Points 135,942

Brenda, I have no suggestions, But your quilt is gorgeous.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 10:53 PM

Brenda,

No suggestions but your quilt is beautiful.

Toledo, OH

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use