New from Alberta Canada

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 195
Rose MASUDA Posted: Mon, Feb 14 2011 3:55 AM

Hi, all I'm new to quilting and this site. What I've read so far I think I'm going to enjoy this. I'm in a dilema, I want to purchase a quilting machine, but I don't know the first thing about them. I do have a regular Janome machine as well an embroidery machine. I love to sew when I have the time. I'm a grandmother of five grandchildren from ages four to twenty four. Three boys (men) and two girls (princesses four year old and twenty one year old). I enjoy doing embroidery on my machine and lately made Barbie clothes for four year old granddaughter. I would like to hear on your prefernces on qulting machines, all types. I am planning on taking the lessons on line from the fonsporter site. Does anyone know where else a person can take quilting lessons. Thank you all.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 5:28 AM

Welcome to the club, Rose. I glad you are enjoying the site

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,365
Robin replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 5:41 AM

Welcome Rose,

Happy Valentine's Day to you and all of the quilters today.   Your going to love this site.  Here you'll find friends who are passionate about all kinds of quilting trends.  

Robin

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 13,135

Most machines come with lessons when you purchase them. Make sure you are purchasing from a reputable dealer. Ask about lessons. If you are wanting learn to quilt on your DSM check our our Fear No More FMQ thread. Those of us that are participating there are learning to quilt on our small machines and are doing quite well.

Cumberland Gap, TN

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 6:45 AM

togorose:
Does anyone know where else a person can take quilting lessons
  There are videos by the dozens on QNNTV which comes with your membership here.   Sounds like the machines you have will do a good job for you, unless you are talking about a long arm.  I have a Brother Quattro 6000 machine and it is the only machine I have. I do everything from embroidery to Free motion on it and love it. 

Welcome to the club

Granny M

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 7:30 AM

I usually base my choice of brand of machine according to how close the dealer is.  And a good established dealer.  I don't want to get a machine with the closest dealer being 5 plus hours away.  I would like to get a long arm someday.  But before I do, I am going to a good quilt or sewing expo so I can check out several machines.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 9:46 AM

Rose

Welcome to QCA.  Hope you enjoy your time with us.  QNNtv has tons of videos to help you with every aspect of quilting.   As far as a quilting machine.....are you talking about a long arm or a machine on a frame just  for quilting the quilt sandwich.   Or are you asking about a good domestic machine for piecing as well as quilting the sandwich.   For the most part I recommend finding a really good dealer with excellent service for either type of machine.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 11:13 AM

Hi Rose!  Welcome - nice to hear from you.  I live in Calgary - and I understand you are also located in Alberta?  I have Brother embroidery/sewing machines and love them.  They are very old - but they completely do the job for me.  I do a lot of stipple/free motion quilting on my machines and love the result and the ease of operation.  Good luck with your search for a new machine.

Kim in Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Welcome Rose.  A lot depends on whether you are talking about a long arm machine, a "regular" machine that you use with a quilting frame or a DSM that you use for everything.  Our members here have all kinds of machines so depending on what you have in mind, you will get some feedback.  I myself have a Janome 6600P with a 9" throat.  It is Ok for small quilts but I take my big ones to my LQS and have them done on their long arm. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,055
Points 369,272
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 4:32 PM

Welcome Rose.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 11:03 PM

Togorose,

Just wanted to say hello. I don't have any suggestions for you but other members will.

Toledo, OH

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,846
Points 248,979
Barbara replied on Tue, Feb 15 2011 3:41 AM

Rose ,welcome to the club, You will love it here,so many great people. I don't have any skill with a longarm machine but there are folks here that do and they willbe able to tell you lots of information about using them and were to help you gain your skills. I think there is even a group for long arm quilting,hope you enjoy you rtime with us and we look foward to hearing how you are doing..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,547
Points 417,049
gini replied on Thu, Feb 17 2011 2:50 PM

hello rose and welcome.  i agree with patti,  check out the dealers close to you.   when we moved, i didn't have a dealer close by any longer,  and that is a real inconvenience    gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 195

Hi all, thank you all for welcoming me to the club. I'm amazed at all the response re: quilting machine. I do have two regular sewing machines and one embroidery/sewing machine. I am going to do some quilting on my embroidery machine as I have purchased some quilting embroidery patterns on line. I think they will turn out great. My embroidery machine is a beginner model Brother Innovis 900D. I've only had it for a year and I have not used it as much as I would like to. We moved from my home town (Slave Lake)  to an hour further north in Alberta. We wanted to retire in a small community with a lake and lots of trees, as we  both enjoy fishing, gardening and the outdoors. It took me along time to get ready for the move and now trying to settle into our new location. We have alot of work this coming spring in preparing our land, we had to clear bush before we could start anything, that took alot of time, plus put all services in. But hopefully next winter I will have more time to spend on my sewing projects. I prepared with alot of material for making quilts, Barbie clothes for my granddaughter etc. I can hardly wait till I can get at all the things I want to make. But first I have to plant my garden, do the landscaping and just enjoy the country life, this summer. Then serious quilting all winter long. I know I'm going to enjoy this club. Everyone have a great week ahead.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Fri, Feb 18 2011 5:33 AM

North of Slave Lake?  I had to look that up.  I'm an hour south of the Canadian border and I find the seasons are about right for me.  Each season long enough to make me happily anticipate the next.  And I am so glad the days are now getting longer.  To live in your area, I would need a big fabric stash to get me through the winter.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use