Top 10 Posters

Suggestions for a quick cute baby quilt pattern, please!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 4 verified answers | 23 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,625
abcd posted on Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:28 PM

My daughter's SIL is 25 weeks along with her first baby, and it's a girl!  She has had SOOO much trouble, as her husband has an illness which means that they have had to resort to IVF, and have done so many times.  She is 31, so her age adds to the problem, and she lost the last baby at 19 weeks.  That one was a little boy. So you can imagine the thrill of knowing she is this far along and has a baby girl coming! My daughter wants me to make a CUTE quilt, maybe something with sunbonnet babies, or baby animals, or applique somethings that are cute, but the shower is at the end of April, and it needs to be sort of a "quick" quilt (and I work). I have a Bernina 730 with an embroidery module, but I honestly don't know where to begin looking for such a special baby!  Could any of you please help point me in the right direction for a pattern?  Thank you all so much! (and please say prayers until the little one arrives!) :D

• | Post Points: 80

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,568 Posts
Points 30,579
Answered (Verified) Kelley replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:38 PM
Verified by abcd

Bella could you do a simple 9 patch with really cutr fabric? That would be very quick..

Kelley

• | Post Points: 40
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998
Verified by abcd

Connecting Threads has a easy and free pattern for a nine patch.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/patterns/Baby_Nine_Patch_Pattern__D991475.html

It is all about the fabric and there is SO much cute baby girl fabric out there.  A nice larger print for the solid squares and two coordinating smaller prints for the nine patch and this quilt would be gorgeous...and quick.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
365 Posts
Points 4,075
Answered (Verified) Liz K replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:47 PM
Verified by abcd

What about using the idea of the 9 patch and using your embroidery in the larger plain squares.  If you think you might like to do this, let me know the size of the embroideries that you can do - appropriate designs, and I can figure out how much fabric and what size to cut the strips for the 9 patch.  You can strip piece it and you could easily make the top in less than a day if you have the embroidery designs done up ahead of time.  Just let me know if you want me to do this.  Congrats on the good news!

Liz

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170
Verified by abcd

Panels are so cool to make baby quilts with.  I just finished a dinosaur quilt for my new nephew!

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,568 Posts
Points 30,579
Answered (Verified) Kelley replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:38 PM
Verified by abcd

Bella could you do a simple 9 patch with really cutr fabric? That would be very quick..

Kelley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998
Verified by abcd

Connecting Threads has a easy and free pattern for a nine patch.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/patterns/Baby_Nine_Patch_Pattern__D991475.html

It is all about the fabric and there is SO much cute baby girl fabric out there.  A nice larger print for the solid squares and two coordinating smaller prints for the nine patch and this quilt would be gorgeous...and quick.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
365 Posts
Points 4,075
Answered (Verified) Liz K replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:47 PM
Verified by abcd

What about using the idea of the 9 patch and using your embroidery in the larger plain squares.  If you think you might like to do this, let me know the size of the embroideries that you can do - appropriate designs, and I can figure out how much fabric and what size to cut the strips for the 9 patch.  You can strip piece it and you could easily make the top in less than a day if you have the embroidery designs done up ahead of time.  Just let me know if you want me to do this.  Congrats on the good news!

Liz

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170
Verified by abcd

Panels are so cool to make baby quilts with.  I just finished a dinosaur quilt for my new nephew!

Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 5:00 PM

Gee, thanks, Liz!  I plan on shopping for the embroidery designs this coming week-end with the OESD designs at this fabric shop I go to.  I will keep you posted, and thanks so much for your help!

hugs, B.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 5:02 PM

Thank  you all for your help!  I love 9 patch designs, and I think 9 patches surrounding plain blocks with embroidery designs, or fussy cut out of cute fabric, will be just the trick!  Thank you all so much!

hugs, B.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 5:03 PM

Hi,  Jeanine - I am checking this one out immediately!  Thanks so much!  B.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,266 Posts
Points 35,145

Bella,  go to bunnycup.com and download one of the free embroidery patterns for babies. She has 59 free sets, and her work is top notch.  then you can make a quick quilt using the embroidery and it will be one of a kind.  the rest  (4 patch, 9 ) will fall in place around it and I know you will see something special there.  I have a lot of her patterns, both the free and paid for and have not been disappointed once.

Granny M

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,568 Posts
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 5:32 PM

Granny M... you had to post this didnt you...lol.. Of course I had to find some designs I couldnt live with out...lol...

PS  Thanks ... those designs are very cute..

Kelley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
626 Posts
Points 13,135

Moda bake shop has some really cute patterns. They also carry some really cute fabrics!!

Cumberland Gap, TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 7:45 PM

Bella

Embroidery designs usually have some really great designs as well.   I have bought several from them.    www.embroiderydesigns.com

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
546 Posts
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 7:59 PM

I just did one I applique mickey mouse on the center of it

Happy

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,266 Posts
Points 35,145

Kelley:
... you had to post this didnt you...lol.. Of course I had to find some designs I couldnt live with out...lol...
   But Kelly at least I saved you enough money to buy the fabric you will need to do the embroidery. Or did you go for the paid designs.  I swear every one of us is going to be in the poor house. Mars and I have already reserved our room. 

Have fun with the new designs, I just got her raggedy bears and can't wait to start on that quilt.

Granny M

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

I just finished this panel quilt for my new nephew.  I thought it was HAPPY!

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use