Page 1 of 49 (732 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 731 Replies | 39 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089
Helen Bell Posted: Wed, Aug 26 2009 7:30 AM

I was mentioning on another forum about giving UFO's, that we don't really want to finish, a new home...Jodie Davis just gave one of hers to the first person to email her....

does anyone want to give away their UFO and relieve some quilting stress??  not sure how this will work or even if it would work...but her it is...lets talk!!

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 290
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 3:29 PM

Helen,

like I said; I think this is a great idea. It would really help.

I think it could work the way Jodie did it. Just post photos and send to the first one who requests it. It could work.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 3:33 PM

Would some orphan blocks be counted as UFO's?   Started a Christmas BOM that has been sitting for about 3 1/2 years.  Blocks are done but nothing put together.  Also have lots of blocks that were leftovers.  Maybe make a sampler with them.  Sounds like fun.  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

And what about patterns? I love the looks of the McKenna Ryan coffee quilts, but the pieces are way to tiny for me!

I think we also need to decide if the person who is getting the orphans will pay for shipping, or will the shipper pay postage?

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 4:45 PM

I think the recipient should pay for shipping. That's how it works on the trade site I'm on. Not sure how we would get that set up though.

I think patterns are a good idea Judy. I've bought many patterns over the years that I've never looked at again.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Perhaps the recipient could just check to see what the cost of the postage was and send that after s/he gets whatever. My experience has been that quilters are honest people and will send the money after they receive the pkg.

On the other hand, there are, I'm sure, people who cannot afford to pay the postage. I think if that person just sent a private message to whomever had the UFO/pattern, most people wouldn't mind paying the postage her/himself. For me, if I still had a ton of UFOs and hadn't given them away, it would be worth it to send it to a good home.

Gillette, WY

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 22,003
Edith replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 6:10 PM

Helen- thats a great idea. I am sure I could dig out a couple of items. 

I think posting a picture of the item would be great. It could be a few blocks. It could be a certain project half completed   -----OHHHHHHHHHHHH  imagine the possibilities.

I think perhaps depending on cost receiver should pay shipping. 

I am not sure how this will work Canada/Us   Customs charges etc. 

Our guild usually has a table of UFO's that we sticker prices on them and sell at our quilt show. These are definately favorites.

Good idea Helen.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 847

I've seen some great quilts made from orphan blocks.  It would be fun to gather them up and have an informal contest. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 508
Points 10,055
Judi replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 7:17 PM

I have several UFQ's with instructions that I would love to pass on to someone who would finish them.  I am missing one months of Timbleberries from 2 years ago and would love to take anyone else's so I can finish mine!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Ok..what about this...

if you have a UFO or pattern...take a pic (if you can) and right a description of what you are giving away...the first person that is interested..say so ...then the UFO owner can check to see how much it would be to mail...if the receiver still wants it..than they pay the shipping....of course there are many variables but we have to start somewhere...lets give it a try...

who has a UFO or pattern they want to give away?? Post away

Ontario, Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

p.s. whatever it is post it! I bet there is someone that would want it...

one mans trash is another mans treasure..

My friend made a beautiful quilt out of the scraps and single blocks that I gave her plus blocks of her own..she called it Helen and Jackie's quilt...I wanted it when she was done.....so there is hope for single blocks...maybe a few together  or even maybe one...lets just try

single blocks may find mates..teehee

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 173
Points 3,945

I love the idea!  I think that it would be great. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 97
Points 2,509
Kim replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 8:44 PM

This is a great idea.  One thought on the postage is "pay it forward" - as long as it isn't too costly, the shipper can pay - I'm sure at one point or another each of the participants would be sending and receiving so it could basically be a wash on the cost.

~ Kim

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 8:50 PM

I run a quilt ministry and am always getting people's leftovers including quilts in various stages.  I love figuring out what to do with them and have come up with some pretty nice stuff with what looked like "junk".  It is a fun challenge to me.  I was just given some left over homespun scraps and made a neat lap quilt that I will give to a hospice home.   Working with someone else's cast off's is a great way to stimulate creativity.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Great idea, williamsj9! Maybe if we offer something and no one wants it, we can just send it to you and you can use it for your ministry.

I really like the quilt you made from the homespun.

Also, if I haven't done so already, welcome to QCA!

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 49 (732 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use