Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 29
Points 725
nomajanedill Posted: Sun, Feb 6 2011 5:36 PM

I have started putting my quilt blocks together in their rows now.  I am not sure the best way to add the borders since they are longer than the cut pieces of fabric.  I know I could piece straight across on piece on the bias.  Wonder if piecing straight across is OK  since piecing on the bias seems to waste so much fabric.

LIVE! LIVE! LIVE!

-Aunty Mame-

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Sun, Feb 6 2011 6:18 PM

jane, i'm not quite sure what you are asking.     borders should not be cut on the bias, too stretchy, which causes headaches, many headaches. 

to determine the length of a border, pick a direction,   top to bottom or side to side.   let's pick side to side, measure across the center of the quilt, side to side.  cut your top and bottom borders that length.   find the center of the quilt top and the center of the quilt border, and pin them together at that point.   ( if you have a really big quilt, i find the center marks and the quarter points.)  sew the top and cottom to the quilt  by matcing centers.    you may need to stretch the border some to get it to fit the quilt.  if you put the border on the bottom while you sew that will help ease it in.   next measure top to bottom with the top and bottom borders on..  and do the same thing for attaching the side borders that you did with the top and bottom borders.    

i use bias strrips for the binding.    i want the binding to be stretchy to fit easier around the corners.   a bias strip will also wear better on the edges   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use