adding to a pattern

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
113 Posts
Points 2,165
Anne posted on Sat, Feb 5 2011 6:10 PM

Would like to know if it would change the look of a pattern by adding extra batting to leafs.  I have been making leaf quilts and was wondering if I could put batting behind each individual leaf, add the leaf veins and any other embellishment I wish, trim the batting close to the outline of each leaf, and then sew all the blocks together. Then I would finish the quilt as I normally would.  It would mean that there would be 2 layers of batting in some areas of the quilt and only 1 layer in others. Any advice?

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,864 Posts
Points 181,703
Marie replied on Sat, Feb 5 2011 6:16 PM

Anne, welcome and my thoughts are it's your piece and whatever makes you happy go for it.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.  Have fun!  Some of the no rule quilts I've seen are amazing!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,666 Posts
Points 141,098

Anne,

This is similar to trapunto. Sounds like a great idea to "pop" those leaves and add some texture.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
113 Posts
Points 2,165
Anne replied on Sat, Feb 5 2011 6:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback!  I was hoping that it wouldn't make too chunky a quilt.  As for the extra batting, the quilt is going to northern British Columbia so the extra weight and warmth will be appreciated...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
7,534 Posts
Points 116,685

I don't see why it would be a problem.  I do this sometimes on my applique to give it dimension.  I've seen where machine quilters add batting behind parts of their quilt designs and it pops with the added loft for that trapunto effect.  I hope you post a picture when you're done. 

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,737 Posts
Points 419,869
gini replied on Sun, Feb 6 2011 12:11 AM

anne, it will work fine,  just make sure there is some quilting over it to hold it in place   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,737 Posts
Points 419,869
gini replied on Sun, Feb 6 2011 12:12 AM

actually, if they are small pieces you won't need to quilt over them.  i will be waiting to see pictures of your leaf quilt   gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use