Now What? Basting The Quilt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
405 Posts
Points 8,215
Pat A posted on Fri, Feb 4 2011 8:22 AM

Thanks to Everyone for the warm welcome and the advice about my quilt batting.  So now I have the backing washed and ironed and laid out on the floor.  I have the batting (unwrinkled) spread out and smoothed on top.  I have the top ironed.  On to the sandwiching. 

Do you pin, baste or use spray basting adhesive?  Which do you like best?  If you are basting the quilt, how big are the basting stitches?  You can tell I have never done this before and really am nervous about it.  Mostly I just hope once I get down on the floor I can get up again!!

Has anyone ever heard of a basting gun?  Have you ever tried it and where did you get it.  I was on another web site and someone mentioned it.

Pat in Ky

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
448 Posts
Points 5,660

Hi Pat--it's up to you how you baste the quilt. I like to use pins but have heard the basting gun works well. I've read that you should space your pins or basting a hand apart--lay your hand on the quilt and baste that far apart. That works for me.

Good luck.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,265 Posts
Points 35,160

Pat I am also a pin baster.  I find it easier to take out a pin in the way of quilting than basting thread, it is also easier on my hands

Granny M

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,114 Posts
Points 410,999
gini replied on Fri, Feb 4 2011 11:04 AM

hey pat,

pin basting hurts my hands, no matter how many gadgets i use to help,  it works well.

i baste most of my larger quilts.  you start in the middle and work out about a stitch every 6 to 8 inches,  then i go back and bast the other direction  and two diagonal bastes. 

it costs about $20 to have a long arm quilter baste a quilt., and i have this done when i have a HUGE quilt. 

i spray baste most of my mid  to smaller quitls.

i've heard that the basting guns leave holes.

i don't get on the floor anymore,  i have a 6 by 2 1/2  foot table top.  i tape the center of the back on that section and layer the batt and top on it. i can baste from both sides so my back doesn't get too sore. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,114 Posts
Points 410,999
gini replied on Fri, Feb 4 2011 11:14 AM

an example of wall basting         http://donnamo.blogspot.com/2009/11/basting-wall-for-quilters.html  

board basting      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Feb 4 2011 11:41 AM

Pat

I use spray baste on all of my quilts.  Don't like to pin....hurts my hands and I can't get all the wrinkles out.  I have tried the basting gun but didn't like it much.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,831 Posts
Points 106,175

Gini, wasn't it you who posted a tutorial on spray basting some time last year?  I remember seeing the pictures, just can't remember where.

Linny T

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,114 Posts
Points 410,999
gini replied on Fri, Feb 4 2011 2:42 PM

it wasn't me, linny.   i remember it, too.   someone will come up with the link    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
285 Posts
Points 7,035

It was Althea who posted the tutorial, I will search for it.

Althea's Tutorial is here - http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/forums/p/7802/114233.aspx#114233

Nancy also did one on Spray basting on the wall, it is here -http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/forums/p/6871/104802.aspx#104802

Hope this helps.

Shellie - south central Washington state

Linaria Dalmatica Designs

Top 10 Contributor
Female
23,825 Posts
Points 352,552
Kris replied on Fri, Feb 4 2011 8:58 PM

I've used a basting gun on more than one occasion and I like it, no trouble with holes. My Princesses quilt was basted with a basting gun. I've also used pins it's tedious but secure. I've thread basted before and that is my least favourite method. I've only spray basted mug mats.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
405 Posts
Points 8,215
Pat A replied on Sun, Feb 6 2011 10:37 AM

Viola!! I did it.  I just decided to not worry so much about how but just decided to it.  I pinned it and yes my fingers were sore by the time I finished. I tried the basting but didn't like that.   I was going to try the spray basting but it was too cold to open the doors.  And since I had a fire going in the fireplace, I was afraid I would blow up the house!! 

I also put my quilt frame together (been in the box for 2 years) and discovered that I have the kind where each layer goes on a separate roller so I would not have had to pin it at all!! Ain't that a kick. 

On to the quilting.  My mother tells me I will love it.  One can only hope.  I have a lot of quilt tops finished or almost finished which will need quilting.  Can't afford to send them out since DH died. 

Thanks to all of you who offered your advice and expertise in response to my cry for help.  I am so glad I joined.  You are all great!

Pat A in Ky

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use