Top 10 Posters

Who loves to combine quilting and machine embroidery?

Page 6 of 7 (99 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 98 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

That's so great that this thread made the QCA newsletter! 

Kim in Calgary

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
gskbrown replied on Thu, May 26 2011 3:55 PM

Yes, I did hoop the quilt sandwich and set the design so the machine would stitch out the design.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 195

I have bought embroidery quilting patterns from Embillirary,com.  They have all types and are not expensive.  I've been purchasing from them for the last three years, I have so many patterns now I won't have to purchase anymore embroidery patterns.  They have all catagories of patterns, also have a projects and show case section on their site.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Hi Rose.  Yes, I've used Emblibrary.com as well for embroidery designs.  I wonder, though, what do you use the embroidery designs for? i.e. do you quilt with them or use them as applique on other projects? 

Kim in Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563

Kim Hanson:
I wonder, though, what do you use the embroidery designs for? i.e. do you quilt with them or use them as applique on other projects? 

Hi Kim,

I have used them in the wall hanging and quilt top pictured and have recently done some free standing butterflies to use on a crazy quilt block.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 5,385
Renee replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 4:22 PM

Hi Kim,

Yes I love to combing these two art forms.  I just recently starting using my embroidery machine (Bernina 180) and the first project I did was a denim rag quilt. 
I have OESD Explorations embroidery software.  I am trying to find the Make it Stitiches add on (used) so I can work with other designs.

I really like Designs by Sick, they are very reasonable in price and have a great selection of the basics.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 955

What an awesome thread... I've just started researching different embroidery machines to do just this... thank you for your beautiful pictures... 

Monika

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 5,385
Renee replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 4:51 PM

I would be in line right behind you Nana

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,057
Points 29,065
Ramona replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 5:11 PM

Kim,

I absolutely love incorporating embroidery and quilting. I have a Designer SE embroidery machine but wish I had one that would do the larger designs. I have all the hoops for my machine but for quilt I would like to do at least the 200x200. My next embroidery machine will accomodate that for sure. LOL  However, at the present time, there are not that many good quilting designs out there that fit the 200x200 machine that I would like to use.  I have done alot of baby quilts using the embroidery and they turn out so cute. I have a friend that gets in more quilting than I do and she has two quilts waiting for me to quilt that has embroidery. I've done several of her quilts. She has the machine that will do larger designs. When I'm quilting her quilts she does embroidery blocks for me. Coming up with quilting ideas to put in the embroidery blocks is a challenage.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,057
Points 29,065
Ramona replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 5:12 PM

Nana,

Love the quilt and colors. Just wonderful!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Oh Stephanie!  How lovely....thanks so much for posting your quilts for me to see and others in this group to see as well.

Kim in Canada

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Hi Renee.  Cute rag quilt!  I've seent Designs by Sick on Facebook, but have never purchased any designs from them.  Have you ever tried digitizing your own designs Renee?  How do you like your Bernina?

Kim in Canada

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Monika - what have you decided?  What machine will you purchase?

Kim in Canada

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Tue, Mar 13 2012 10:13 PM

Hi Ramona.  How big is a hoop that would accommodate an embroidery design that is 200x200?  I use a very standard and old Brother sewing/embroidery machine.  In fact, I have two of them!  One for sewing and quilting and one for embroidery.

Do you digitize your own designs?

Kim in Canada

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Tue, Mar 13 2012 10:17 PM

Ladies - here is a project of mine that was just featured in the new Creative Machine Embroidery issue March/April 2012.  It's an appliqued and embroidered Child's Growth Chart.  The whole article can be viewed on my website - http://www.kimhansonquilts.com/press/

Page 6 of 7 (99 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use