re: Quilting and Yoga

Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 44 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 2,480
Heather replied on Sat, Feb 12 2011 12:59 AM
Reading all of your post has made me laugh...a lot. Lol. Kim - I have never tried yoga but have taken numerous aerobic classes. Isn't yoga more about balancing and strength training your muscles and muscle tone as opposed to using the craft to lose weight? That is just what a friend told me...it does look extremely calming though and that, we can all use.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Sat, Feb 12 2011 11:20 AM

Hey Heather!  You ask a great question.  In yoga classes, it can depend on what type of class you subscribe to.  In "flow" yoga classes or Ashtanga power yoga, it's all about burning calories for sure.  It's a total body workout which is very powerful for losing weight, but also for gaining such strength and muscle tone.  In Calgary, the trend is towards "hot" yoga - which is flow in an overheated environment.  Not for me, personally - because I'm already hot all the time (if you know what I mean!) but it's a total body workout and a cleanse.  Gentle, restorative yoga is all about taking care of certain body parts - your back for instance.  In gentle classes, you're not burning calories per se, but you're targeting an area of your body that needs some TLC.  Added benefits to most yoga classes are the incredible stretching your muscles get - which they would not ordinarily get in other workouts.  I do go to the gym (to the Y) and do a general workout - on the treadmill, weights, etc., but the stretching benefits derived from yoga are unparalled.  It isn't about being able to turn your body into a pretzel at least not to me; it's about the peace, tranquility and serenity of the practise as well as the fabulous physical benefits that you get from a regular yoga practise.  Additionally, there is substantial core work done when you're in yoga poses which help your overall stability and balance.

Basically, I think it's fun and challenging with a side benefit of being a social atmosphere.   Likely, similar to what you experience in your aerobic classes.

Kim in Canada

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 374
Points 5,000
Annette replied on Sat, Feb 12 2011 6:48 PM

Thanks Kris.   I may have to look into that.  I went to a gym after work for about a year or two.  But since I now work from home (different town), I would rather do something here if I can.  

Annette

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 2,480
Heather replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 8:40 PM
Hi Kim - I didn't know that Yoga has so many different 'classes' within it..interesting. I think that the "flow" or Ashtanga power yoga classes sound great and I will look further into it. Aerobics tend to get boring often...repeating the same ole thing so I have been looking for something different. Thanks :)
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 2,480
Heather replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 8:41 PM
Btw Kim - does your Y offer "flow" yoga classes or Ashtanga power?
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 11:16 AM

Good Monday morning to you Heather and Happy Valentine's Day!  Yes, it sounds like Ashtanga is for you for sure - and there are so many poses that you're likely not to get bored.

I began my yoga classes at the Y - but so many studios have started up in our neighborhood and close vicinity that the classes at the Y are not full and therefore not running.  Too bad for me!

Kim in Canada

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 2,480
Heather replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 9:51 PM
Hi Kim and Happy Valentine's to you as well! So happy that your now a quilty friend and I hope to have more great convo's w/ you. :) . I am moving back to South Florida next month so I'm sure that I will find a great Yoga studio down there. I definitely need a new routine. So, do you enjoy living in Canada? I have always wanted to visit but unfortunately haven't as of yet....
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Hey Heather!  Totally looking forward to speaking with you more also.  Moving to South Florida?  Wow - I must say I'm a wee bit envious - looking at all the snow in our backyard.  Having said that, I love living in Calgary - we're smack dab in the middle of the Rocky Mountains and we have so much of nature close by.  Calgary is a very big city - so we have all the amenities close by also.

Keep me posted on your move and best of luck with it.

Talk with you soon.

Kim in Canada

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 2,480
Heather replied on Wed, Feb 16 2011 1:57 AM
Hi Kim - Your town sounds fabulous! I will definitely keep you posted - I enjoy Nashville but am truly excited about going back home to Florida. :) Take care.
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 2,480
Heather replied on Wed, Feb 16 2011 2:02 AM
Oh and Kim - btw, think about joining one of the site 'groups.' I am in several and love it. 'Fabric Swap' is my favorite and I am currently hosting a 'spring dream" jelly roll swap. We all would love to have you participate :)
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40

Dear Kim, this is my first time on the forum. I was actually researching the "Yoga of Quilting"

Definition of Yoga:yo·ga  (yg)
n.
1. also Yoga A Hindu discipline aimed at training the consciousness for a state of perfect spiritual insight and tranquillity.
2. A system of exercises practiced as part of this discipline to promote control of the body and mind.

I find that Quilting is like a yoga for me. Through quilting, i can tell when I am centered and in the "flow" or not! I love when my time of quilting goes smoothly for me. When i make too many mistakes and i become the "Seam Ripper Queen" it's time to take a break!

I also have done Yoga. Right now, I am doing Pilates 2-3 times a week. It is so important to keep the body moving regularly, since it's so easy to let HOURS go by without getting up from the sewing table!

Just my two cents!

Sharon in San Mateo

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,909
gini replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 12:07 AM

welcome sharon   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:45 AM

Sharon - hello!  Thanks ever so much for responding on this forum.  Totally love your rationality and I think you are so correct - both about quilting being your "yoga" (love that!) and that it's so important to keep our bodies moving.  I find it is easy to sew and sew for hours on end in my office studio.  So, I register in yoga classes and plan my gym workouts to purposefully get me away from the sewing machine and computer for awhile each day - if at all possible.  It feels so much better to get back to the task of quilting once a good workout is under my belt.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 12:20 PM

I took an excercise class three days a week.  Mostly cardio and weights. I would love to say I loved it, but not usually until it was over and I actually felt GOOD.  But at the end of every class we did some yoga poses and it totally relaxed and refreshed us.  and kept us coming back.   I haven't been in a while with the pressures of work and life and I can feel my back going so I'll have to make a call and get back at it. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 12:24 PM

Hi Vivian.  I've also had a lot of lower back issues/pain and neck and shoulder pain.  Besides attending a power yoga class twice per week, doing a gym workout, walking whenever I can - I found a yoga class called - critical alignment therapy.  It has been so fantastic!  It's a lot of realigning one's back so that your body is in alignment, which alleviates the pain.  It's been as good as massage for me - which is saying a lot!

Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use