rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,017
Points 65,010
Robin Posted: Fri, Jan 28 2011 8:42 PM

To Everyone,

Thanks to everyone for all of the post this week.  Just coming online this week and reading about what you are doing and going on in your lives have made this week better. 

It's been a little rough.  As a high school teacher we are often asked to do things that goes beyond academics.  This week we had to explain to students why one of their own was not coming back.  Not because she dropout or moved but because she was killed in a car accident.  While dealing with their grief I was challenge to find my own answers to this tragedy.

So to make it more fun I lost my wedding band, which was left to me by my grandma, and I think my daughter's cat is gone for good.

So, I feel a little down and your posting has help tremendously.

Robin

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 8:56 PM

Oh, Robin, what a week!   Here's hoping some weekend quilting brings you peace.  Hugs!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 9:32 PM

Robin

What a horrible week.   It is impossible to rationalize the death of a young person much less try to explain to other teens....I am so sorry.   I know the loss of the wedding ring was icing on the cake.  Hopefully your weekend will be better.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers tonight.   God Bless.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 2,200
Sarabela replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 9:39 PM

Thinking of you Robin. I am so sorry you have had such a traumatic week. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 2,480
Heather replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 10:04 PM
Hey Florida Girl - sounds like your week was horrible! I'm sorry. Hope you kick your feet up, have a coke or some wine :) and enjoy your weekend. I hope you find peace...death, loss...it all is so hard to go through. I will pray for you. Take care, Robin.
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,809
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 10:12 PM

Robin, I'm so sorry to hear about everything you've gone through this week.  Has the school set up any type of grief counseling for students & staff?  Seems like a good idea as you're all suffering the same loss.

I am guessing you already tried retracing your steps to find the ring as it must have a lot of sentimental value.  I actually "lost" my rings once in bed - my hands got cold one winter night and my rings came off and got tucked into a fold in the sheets.  Took me two days to discover where they were, so I hope you find yours, too.

Have you asked local vets & animal shelters if a cat has been found? Posting signs in area shops, etc., and asking around the neighborhood could help.  I wish I could do more than offer suggestions as I'm sure you've heard all of this. 

Hang in there & I hope the weekend is better! I'm sending mental hugs your way.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,400
Points 415,559
gini replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 10:13 PM

robin, i'm sorry you had such an awful week.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 10:57 PM

Robin, My thoughts ans prayers are with you and your students. When I was in high school we lost a fellow student  in the same manner. Everyone was numb for weeks, but they will come to terms with it. Just be there to listen when they need to express their grief. We had some great teachers that helped us through that terrible time.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 12:22 AM

Robin

My thoughts and prayers and with you.  You have had an awful week. - 

Hugs!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 1:36 AM

Sending up some prayers for you Robin.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 4:10 AM

Robin, sending prayers your way.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 13,135

I too am praying for you and your students Robin. It is difficult, I know. When in elementary (5th grade) my best friend and her mother was killed by the father. I always walked to school with her. When we went to get her that morning no one answered the door which is very odd. About 3 hours later it was announced that they were all found dead (he committed suicide afterwards). It is many years later and we still talk about it at reunions and such. I think the most important thing I can tell you is that those kids need to understand it is ok to express whatever emotion they are having as long as it is done in a healthy way. I remember school officials basically telling us to "get over it"! I will continue to pray for all of you.

Cumberland Gap, TN

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 7:55 AM

Robin,

My thoughts are with you.  It has been a very difficult week for you.  Hopefully you can get some much needed rest this weekend.  Your students will need a source of strength in the coming weeks.  I pray you can be that source.  I am so sorry for your losses.   I wish there was more I could do.  Take comfort, there are many people thinking of you and praying for you.

Cindy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

What a bummer of a week Robin!!!  I certainly hope things start going better for you.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,017
Points 65,010
Robin replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 7:22 PM

Thank you everyone!  Your prayers are certainly felt on this in.  This morning was slow to start but as the day went by everything got a little brighter.

In answer to the questions.  Yes we had both counselors and ministers in the school off and on through the week.  One of the pluses of living in a small southern community, everyone was willing to reach out and help.  We had signs the kids made in the hall and I allowed by kids to remember her in a manner of their choice.  They chose to release balloons of bright colors with note cards, which was followed 20 minutes later with an impromptu fire drill which is when I think I lost my ring. Both my dh and I have searched the field.  No luck.

As for the cat she has a habit of wondering off.  Just never this long.  So hopefully all there is not lost.

Robin

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use