Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 295
Points 10,190
Giddy Posted: Mon, Jan 24 2011 6:10 PM

Hello quilting land!  My name is Giddy and I've taken on a new task this year that I truly need everyone's advice and suggestions on!!!  HELP!...sooooo the Chamber of Commerce and Events Coordinator at our new Civic Center 'noticed' me at several functions and fundraisers.  They asked me to co-chair a quilt show at the Civic Center...so me, being the Texan that I am, do absolutely nothing small!  I have brianstormed all week on this and here's my game plan.  I want to start a non-profit organization who's mission is to promote the growth of young quilters through scholarships as well as promote quilters through education, exposure, and providing a forum for the public to see the art of quilting.  I also want to work with the Historical Society in getting a database created to document and record heirloom quilts from our regional area. 

Here's just the top of the list of my OMG"s and issues!  First, what kind of salary do I consider for myself?  This will take me every last day of the 9 months I have to pull the first one off on October 22-23.  Second, we are a very small community about an hour north of Houston, so I want the show to start off basic and small.  What catagories would be the best to pull in more entries?  Also, Dusty Farrell (yeah!) talked to me today and wants to teach or do a demo and maybe be the keynote speaker at the Awards Banquet which I am just elated over!  He suggested that since it's shortly before the Intl Market and Fest in Houston I need to use this to my advantage that lots of companies will already be in the area preparing for that and that I really need to have a theme thats unique to attract quilters and vendors interest. 

This is what we came up with:  Cleveland Cover Up - An Outlaw Quilters Dream!  What do ya think?  We're a small town riddled with gossip and scandals! lol and some friends and I started a group on facebook called the outlaw quilters and they both just fit. 

Ok, next question:  I want to do an Outlaw Quilt Challenge.  Any suggestions on themes and requirements?

Lord, I'm rambling on and on....so much work! I need an assistant.  Think I might go up to the high school tomorrow and see if there's a willing student from FFA or FHA to volunteer to help me...OK....thanks for taking the time to read this and sorry for the length!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,427
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 24 2011 6:29 PM

Hello Giddy. You certainly have a task on your hands. I don't have any advice but I do want to wish you all the best. I really like what you're trying to do.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,160
Granny M replied on Mon, Jan 24 2011 6:33 PM

Hello Giddy,  Whew my mind boggled just reading your post, sounds like you have some great idea of your own.  Go with them and good luck

Granny M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 24 2011 7:56 PM

Hello Giddy

Wow.   What an endeavor.  Sound like you have your hands full....but it also sounds like you have some really great ideas.  Just go for it.   I couldn't possibly give you any better suggestions than you already have.  I wish you the very best and bet you shows are fantastic.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Mon, Jan 24 2011 8:40 PM

wow giddy, you are gong to be flying.   if you are doing an outlaw quilt challenge, how about the wild wild west    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,531
Points 138,963
Stephanie replied on Mon, Jan 24 2011 9:13 PM

Giddy,

What an incredible undertaking, and all of your thoughts and ideas are amazing. I think you should go with your plan. Sounds great as it is. Keep us posted.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,353
Points 174,653
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 2:13 PM

Giddy I guess you don't take on anything small!  All I can say is I sincerely wish you all the good luck in the world with this.  Your ideas are fantastic!  The word Outlaw means no rules to me so I would just mention size and give a deadline and that's it, anything goes!

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use