Top 10 Posters

Fear-No-More FMQers

Page 45 of 75 (1121 items) « First ... < Previous 43 44 45 46 47 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,120 Replies | 26 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 10:23 AM | Locked

CC

The little Bernettes are really nice machines at a great price.  Maybe she would like one of those and leave mom's alone....yeah right....

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 330
Miss Jackie replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 12:31 PM | Locked

I too, would like to learn more about free motion quilting.  Normally, I have little time to practice but with this weather, I'm in again today.  I had never seen these forms, blogs, etc.  and I am new to this but I did practice on a project yesterday, I made a 12 1/2" trivet with binding also.  I could see that I need lots of practice so I will practice again today.  I could use some new potholders and any tips for FMQ.

• | Post Points: 0
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 330
Miss Jackie replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 12:40 PM | Locked

Love your "pebbles", wish I could do as well.  I got out 2 pieces of fabric, 2 pieces of batting and 1 of batting for heat.  I made a sandwich, quilted it going around the ,motifs on the OU Fan fabric and put on binding.  It finished out at 12 1/2" square.  The quilting leaves a lot to be desired but I can use it for a trivet.  I will practice again today.  My shoulders got really tired yesterday and I had to take a break.  I think I need to try different positions or tables.  I normally use  an embroidery machine for small projects or get larger projects long arm quilted by my friend.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,571
Points 30,609
Kelley replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 4:16 PM | Locked

Alright , who snuck my uckkyyy practice pic  in the newsletter...lol.. I should have been warned...lol... I hope everyone   is well... This big dump of snow has made it tuff to sew cause we have to try to dig out...lol...

Kelley

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 20
carmquilts replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 4:50 PM | Locked

I am very interested and very fearful. My sister who was a phenominal FMQ, started teaching me but she died suddenly and I have not even attempted to try again. I do have several books on FMQ and I do page through them, but I have not tried anything yet. So I think this just what I need to get started. Thanks so much for opening up for me and others like me. 

Fran

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 5:13 PM | Locked

Kelley, it's not yucky - those feathers are really cool and the dark fabric makes them stand out. Be proud - you did a great job :-)

Kudos to Rhonda, too, for starting this thread! Nice to see you both in the newsletter!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 5:15 PM | Locked

Welcome, Miss Jackie! Glad you're willing to get over your "fears," too, and take the FMQ plunge.  Ask questions, post pictures, share what you've learned :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 5:17 PM | Locked

Fran, we're all wary and nervous.  You'll develop your own great skills and practicing is the best place to start. 

Sorry to hear your sister's passing was sudden - my condolences.  Maybe she's keeping an eye on you and hoping you'd try FMQ again.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
thesewinggeek replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 5:38 PM | Locked

I would like to join in ....

but I have to wait to start until my sewing machine returns from the sewing machine hospital. I have done a bit of free motion but it is my goal to learn how to do it this year. 

Can I join in when I get my machine? It might not be 1/2 hour everyday but I would try to get in a couple of hours a week. 

Jo  theewinggeek

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 6:58 PM | Locked

Jo

We would love to have you join in.   I think I may just have to make me some "sandwiches" and do some practicing too.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 7:02 PM | Locked

thesewinggeek:

Can I join in when I get my machine? It might not be 1/2 hour everyday but I would try to get in a couple of hours a week. 

Of course you can join.  I have not been putting in my 1/2 hour per day last week as I was trying to get a quilt completed.  However today I did practice. Made viney hearts to go on the border of the quilt.  I am hoping I improve by Saturday as I would really like to put this on one of the borders.  Before you get your machine back you can do the pencil and paper pratice.  I usually start out that way.  Then after a million drawings, I tell myself if I can draw it I can sew it. Sometimes that works for me, sometimes it doesn't.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 0
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 7:50 PM | Locked

Jo,

While you are waiting for a call from the sewing machine hospital, read this thread from the beginning, there are some links to help you get started. You can also set up some practice sandwiches.

Toledo, OH

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429
Diane Morgan replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 8:40 PM | Locked

Everyone please join in.This is such a good way to learn. If you read from the  beginning postings you'll see lots of ideas, tips and links to look at. And then our show and tells as we all conquer our fears. We are learning so much from each other. Not all of us can practice every day but the more you practice, the better you will get. Sat. we show our weekly progress and what we have accomplished. And Kelley's feathers are to die for no matter what she says.

Marie (SIlverfox) deserves some credit for starting this, too. Rhonda and Marie are a team and they will probably be doing FMQ soon that will humble us all.

Practice, Practice!

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 8:49 PM | Locked

The more the merrier,Everyone is welcomed who wants to join in on the fun.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 8:52 PM | Locked

CC, I bought my GD, a small Basic Janome, for 130.  If you like that brand. It's a great little machine,Her mom tries to swap with her all the time, she has my old brother lol

[Ava, Missouri

Page 45 of 75 (1121 items) « First ... < Previous 43 44 45 46 47 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use