Top 10 Posters

Irons, Which is the best?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
19 Posts
Points 350
Vickievan posted on Fri, Jan 21 2011 4:10 PM

I had a Rowenta. It worked for a long time.  I just wondered if the Aliso is better, or what others you are using??

Thanks! Vickie

• | Post Points: 185

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
626 Posts
Points 13,135
Suggested by Jane Norden

Oh girl...if I were in the market for an iron today I would be buying the new Reliable! Oh yeah baby!!!!

Cumberland Gap, TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,735 Posts
Points 437,160
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 7:34 PM

Well.....I personally have a hard time paying a big price for an iron.  I am really hard on irons and tend to knock them off the ironing board.   Not necessarily the best thing for an iron....LOL>

I have a Panasonic 360 that I love.  Paid about $40 for it.  It has a football shaped face plate that will let you iron into corners from all directions.  Lots of steam and heat.   I would definitely buy another one.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,577 Posts
Points 139,818

Vickie,

I have had my Rowenta for over twenty years. It has a teflon coated faceplate and I will be lost in the day that anything happens to it as the teflon faceplates are becoming hard to come by. I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's been a workhorse!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Vickie, welcome to the club. I have a really nice T-Fal, I paid about $40.00 for it and I like it cause of the cord  you can lift it out of the way and I'm really not explaining that very well . It Has a nice silicon surface and it just works well ...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
3,771 Posts
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 9:20 PM

Vickie

I have a Rowenta also- and got it at Costco probably 4 years ago for about $70 or so.  I love it. I have looked at prices at other irons and when your talking over $100 or so- I just can't see it-unless it presses for ME! 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 1,730

I took a risk and bought a Reliable digital.  Yes, it was expensive, but it's the best iron I've ever owned, so far.   It has amazing steam power, which is adjustable.  It's heavier than most home irons so the wrinkles come out easity. 

I bought this iron because the water where I live is so hard, my steam irons tend to eventually start leaking, so they don't last very long.   I think my Reliable will be around for a long time.

Dawn

Dawn

Top 150 Contributor
Female
626 Posts
Points 13,135

Dawn Paoletti:
I took a risk and bought a Reliable digital.

Oh Dawn I am so jealous!!! I want that new Reliable!!! I drool when it steams LOL and I love that you can turn off the Automatic shut off feature!!! And it doesn't drool like I do

Cumberland Gap, TN

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 155

Hi Vickie and other quilters. This is a great question as I too need a new iron. Mine is on old and the steam stopped working a long time ago. It also has an automatic shut off that is annoying. Thanks for all the great suggestions. Karen

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,602 Posts
Points 178,383
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 22 2011 1:07 PM

Vickie I have a Rowenta and love it.  Mine was on a 30% off sale, final price around $70 or so.  Anything over $100 I agree with Marlene only if it irons for me.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,497 Posts
Points 417,299
gini replied on Sat, Jan 22 2011 10:54 PM

hi vickie, welcome.   i have had several cheap black and deckers, a couple bought at thrift stores.  they worked just fine for quilting.   i just got a rowenta, and i will have to admit it is sweet, but i wouldn't spend the money to get one new.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,657 Posts
Points 136,077

I just use a 20.00 black and decker, it does what needs to be done lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Female
70 Posts
Points 960

I just bought the new Realiable and absolutly love it.  I ordered it from their website and got free shipping.

Suzette

SUZETTE58

Top 150 Contributor
Female
626 Posts
Points 13,135

Suzette:

I just bought the new Realiable and absolutly love it.  I ordered it from their website and got free shipping.

Suzette

I am soooo jealous!!!

Cumberland Gap, TN

Top 500 Contributor
Female
243 Posts
Points 6,220

Back a year or so ago there was an ad in one of the quilt magazines for a Hamilton Beach iron that was a new one for them ... not sure on the name, but I think is was a One Touch or Touch and Lift.  It was kind of like the Olisio, but about half the price.  I did alot of research because I wanted a good iron and I didn't want to pay alot.  The Olisio is a nice iron, but way too expensive.  Also there were some not so good reviews on the Olisio.  My Hamilton Beach was half the cost of the Olisio... I paid about $70 with free shipping.  I don't use the lift feature, but it is an awesome iron.  It heats up quickly, it has nice even steam, and you can flick a switch that will turn off the auto shut-off.  Nothing worse than thinking you have a hot iron to find out the auto shut-off kicked in.  The auto shut-off is nice to have in some instances, but being able to shut that off is very nice.  Rowenta is a nice iron, but they come in a big range of prices.  To get to the level I wanted, I would have had to pay much more than I did for my Hamilton Beach. 

Having a Rowenta is kind of like my Gingher scissors.  I have had mine for probably 30 years.  My kids knew they were a no touch item and they have been wonderful all these years because they have only touched fabric.  I paid $25 way back then and that was alot then.  Best $25 I ever spent.  ... and I have never had to have my Ginghers sharpened.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use