Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,102
Points 410,819
gini replied on Thu, Jan 20 2011 1:48 AM

hi susie, welcome.  i send quilts out all the time to be quilted.   i've never mailed one.  i look for LAQs that live near.   i get recommendations from other quilters about who they use.   going to local quilt shows is a good way to scout out local LAQs, the quilter is usually listed on the quilts, too.    i usually take a scrappy quilt  first to see how i like the quilting an d to see how well we wil get along and how well we communicate.  i have had two LAQs dissappoint me with their quilting and i haven't gone back to them, but for the most part the quilts turn out wonderful     gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,102
Points 410,819
gini replied on Thu, Jan 20 2011 1:49 AM

hi magz, welcome   i don't think we've met yet     gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,102
Points 410,819
gini replied on Thu, Jan 20 2011 1:49 AM

hello    eileen, welcome to you too    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,920
Cindy replied on Tue, Feb 1 2011 9:16 AM

All,

For those of you who live in Savannah/Hilton Head/South Carolina area the person who does my quilting, Carol Ann,  is wonderful.  If anyone is interested I will give you her information by private message.

Cindy

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 3:47 PM

Also many local fabric stores now have long arm quilting done for you. Prices vary I'm sure just check them out.

Carey

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 2:02 PM

ANYONE CLOSE TO CLEVELAND, TX MY SISTER IN LAW DOES EXCELLENT QUILTING.  REASONABLE PRICING TOO......( LONG ARM)  FAIRLY QUICK TURN AROUND

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
jbarry28 replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 12:40 PM

Hi, Susie.

Guess you're considering this.  I just had my first experience having a quilt quilted by someone else.  I stumbled into it, really.  I was purchasing the backing and binding for a quilt for a B'day gift.  The gal who does long-arm quilting at my local quilt shop was returning from sickleave the next day and had only a couple of quilts to be done.  The clerk offered to fill out a request for quilting, no promises as to time frame, but would try.  I "signed" up and I'm so happy I did.  The quilt was quilted the next day and I picked it up that afternoon.  I had started cutting and piecing binding and had the quilt completed by the following weekend.  I actually finished the quilt with more than a month to spare.  If I'd done the quilting I'm sure I would have been finishing the binding the night before the "party".  I'll actually be rested and be able to enjoy the party and the "gift-giving".  <G>

Check with your local quilt shop and/or local quilt guild(s).  They'll be able to help.  Be sure you know what you need to do to "prepare" your quilt for the quilting process.  Different quilters require the sandwiching to be completed in a certain way. Good luck.

J

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 1:05 PM

J,  I take my quilts to a LAQ and she only requests that the backing be 4 inch on each side. You don't sandwich and she sells batting if you want to buy it from her or you can bring it to her cut to the 4 inch specification. Sew simple

Sukochi

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820

I don't like doing bigger quilts because I do them on my HSM and I hate wrestling the bigger quilts around under the arm.  I like to do the smaller things, like tablerunners, baby quilts and lap quilts.  I would like to make a bigger quilt someday and send it out. 

I would also check with my local quilt shop.  They may actually do it as part of their business (we have two nearby).  One of the LQS near me actually will teach you how to use it and then you pay a small fee to rent it and quilt your own quilt on their longarm (I may try that - sounds fun).  If they don't do it, they will know who does, I think.

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use