Top 10 Posters

Charms and Strips Patterns - Any Favorites???

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 44 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 215
Points 7,525
Kay Posted: Thu, Aug 20 2009 12:41 PM

Okay, I admit it.  I am addicted to the charms and strips...  Mostly the charms.

Any favorite, and/or unusual patterns that you would recommend.

Help please before I get overwhelmed by stacks of charms........  New in the forums so if this is answered elsewhere, please point me in the right direction.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi muttmomkay and welcome to QCA. 

I don't have a favorite, I could not find anything that used them both so I just did my own thing. I made a lap quilt for my MIL out of charms and jelly rolls it is in my blog. I just did my own thing and I like the way it turned out. I'm working on a top now with the last of my charms and strips, again just making it up as I go.

Sorry I could not point you to a pattern, but don't be afraid to take what you have and run with it.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,427
Points 243,407
Thea replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 1:05 PM

Welcome to QCA Kay,

I am sorry that I can't give you a favorite pattern on mine for these as I have to admit I haven't bought any as of yet.  I still buy yardage rather then small packages.  I did see that there are quite a few books in the Connecting Threads catalog that you might be interested in - and all the books are 40% off right now - great time to buy. 

I know there are a lot of new books out there for these.  I wish you the best of luck and if you feel up to it introduce yourself to us nosy quilters... we love to learn about new people.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 116
Points 2,770
Trudy replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 1:29 PM

Hi Muttmomkay,

Here is a pic of one I made this Christmas for my niece...excuse my feet

Trudy

Downey, CA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 116
Points 2,770
Trudy replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 1:32 PM

I don't have a pattern...the binding is the left over strips pieced together.   My neice loved it though...she is into that shabby chic look.

Trudy

Downey, CA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 1:32 PM

Hello Kay and welcome to QCA.  I haven't used any charms or strips either.  I'm one of those quilters that picks a pattern before the fabric so I buy yardage.   I should check out some patterns for charms/strips since I do see some lovely packages in the catalogs.  Glad to have you with us and hope you enjoy the site.  Please tell us a little about yourself and your quilting.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 216
Points 2,055
Pat replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 1:51 PM

What wonderful imaginations you all have.  I will have to look for some charms packets next time I am at the quilt shop.  Keep the pictures coming they give such good ideas to those of us without a lot of imagination.

Thanks,

Pat

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Here is the lap quilt I made form my MIL

I did buy some yardage for the border and used Minkee for the back. I also tied it as I did not have my frame yet and did not want to try and quilt the Minkee on my machine.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 2:14 PM

Spud, love the pastel colors.  The pink and yellow are really pretty together.  Great use of strips - really like it.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 546
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 2:17 PM

looks good how is the frame working out

Happy

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,800
Linda Lou replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 2:21 PM

Trudy and Spud,

Both quilts are really nice quilts.  You both are so talented.  I don't buy charm packs either, but I have seen some beautiful material.

I am one of those who decides on the quilt first and then goes looking for the fabric.

Linda Lou

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,800
Linda Lou replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 2:25 PM

Muttmomkay---- I like that.  Welcome to QCA.  I am sorry, but I do not have a pattern for charms.  Could there be one maybe in one of the Easy Quilts magazines?  I will go check mine out to see.  Seems like I have seen one somewhere.

Please do tell us something about yourself.  I personally am retired and loving it.  We (hubby and I) live in Friendswood, TX.  We moved here when hubby retired from the Air Force.  Two kids, grown now with families of their own.

Again, welcome.  I know you will find all sorts of information here as well as some really fun quilters to talk to .

Linda Lou

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Trudy,

I got off on a rabbit trail and forgot to say how much I like your quilt.

I don't think I'll be buying any more they are too limiting.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Sandy, Happy and Linda Lou, thank you so much for the kind words. 

Happy, the frame is good. I just need to finish the practice quilt and take the leaders off and replace them with the new ones I bought.  I should have 2 tops ready to go when I get all that done, but as slow as I am not sure how long it will take me to actually get them quilted LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Welcome to QCA, Kay!

Lynn, and Trudy, I like both of your quilts!

As for charms, I haven't bought any, but I did buy a Layer Cake set. I used that at camp for the Jungle Fever quilt.

Gillette, WY

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use