Top 10 Posters

Do You Have What it Takes to Be a Project Iron Quilter?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 210
Priscilla Kibbee Posted: Sun, Jan 16 2011 10:47 PM

Do you have what it takes to be a Project Iron Quilter?

The Genesee Valley Quilt Club (GVQC) in Rochester, N.Y. is looking for a few quilters with a sense of adventure to participate in the Project Iron Quilter Contest to be held in conjunction with the Quilt Show on Saturday, June 4, 2011 at the Gordon Field House, R.I.T., Rochester, N.Y.. If you can sew and have a sense of humor we want you. The concept, developed by Ruth White of the Tompkins County Quilt Guild in Ithaca, N.Y. was successfully launched at their quilt show in October, 2009. Ruth has already signed on to be a contestant at the GVQC Show’s event.

Fifteen to twenty contestants will bring their own sewing machines, cutting mats, rulers and rotary cutters. They may bring as much thread as they like but only a small amount of one fabric. In addition they may bring a shoebox full of embellishments and trim if they so desire. At the “starting time” a theme will be announced and contestants will make a grab for fabric from a large “stash” table. They will then have 3 ½ hours (with a break in the middle ) to construct their “masterpiece”. At the end the quilts will be judged, prizes awarded, and the quilts auctioned off for charity.

There will be a number of wonderful prizes in a variety of categories and lots of ribbons. These include a sewing machine, a basket of 75 fat quarters and many many others.

Schedule:  Hours 10 am to 4 pm

10:00 am Theme is announced. Contestants introduced
10:30 am Fabric dash to table of assorted fabrics. Quilt design time
11:00 to 12:30 Sewing
12:30 to 1:00 pm Lunch. Contestants must leave area. Quilts in progress attached to design walls for show attendees to view progress
1:00 pm to 3 pm Sewing
3:00 Judges interview contestants and judge quilts
3:30 Judges convene and decide awards. Counting is completed for Viewer’s Choice Award
4:00 Grand Prize Winner and other awards and ribbons
4:15 Quilts auctioned with proceeds to Charity

Application forms will be available</strong> on the GVQC Quilt Show Web page (GVQC.org) or from Priscilla Kibbee (contact me at pkibbee@aol.com

Priscilla Kibbee

www.priscillakibbee.blogspot.com  

www.priscillakibbee.citymax.com

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,919
gini replied on Mon, Jan 17 2011 2:24 AM

pricilla, welcome.  this sounds like a lot of fun. are you participating?   please post pictures.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,919
gini replied on Mon, Jan 17 2011 2:35 AM

pricilla, what an interesting avatar,  is that you with a tiger?     how cool is that!!   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,957
Leslie replied on Mon, Jan 17 2011 5:15 AM

Pricilla, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 210

Yes.  That was the Tiger Temple north of Kanchanaburi , Thailand.  I have been there twice. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 210

No, I won't be participating because I am helping run it.  But I participated in the first one last year in another guild.  It was loads of fun. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,698
Points 436,385
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 17 2011 9:39 AM

Priscilla

Sounds like alot of fun.  Please post some pics for us when this occurs.   I also love the avatar....beautiful tiger.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,972
Points 63,940
Robin replied on Mon, Jan 17 2011 10:21 AM

Hi Priscilla,

I don't know which is the most interesting; the iron quilter, the tiger or the fact that you have been to Thailand twice.   I hope to hear more about all three.

Robin

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 210

Actually I have been there about 20 times.  I just returned December 1st from my last trip there which included Vietnam and Laos as well.  I've been to both of those contries a lot too.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,698
Points 436,385
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 17 2011 2:53 PM

Priscilla

Gini and her DH went to Vietnam last year.  She posted lots of really neat pics in her blog.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Priscilla - this sounds like a very interesting concept but I don't think I am iron quilter material.    :o{  Maybe someday but I just can't think on my feet  that quickly.  Wow you have been to the Far East a lot!  Is there a special reason or do you just like visiting there? 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 210

I am not really much of a quilter...I make wearable art (www.priscillakibbee.citymax.com) and participated last year with another guild and it was a ton of fun.  I travel because I love it and purchase textiles which I sell to friends and local guilds at their shows to help pay for my travels. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use