Top 10 Posters

What kind of thread to you prefer?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 40 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy posted on Sun, Jan 16 2011 10:01 AM

There are so many different manufacturers of thread and so many different weights and types. What do you prefer for each part of making a quilt?

I was told to use 50wt cotton thread for piecing and 30-40wt thread for free-motion.

I was also told to stay away from coats & clark thread, but how can that be true when Fons & Porter have an entire showcase of it on their show?

Then I heard cotton is bad because it clogs the machine....

I recently found 60wt cotton thread at a quilt shop in Minnesota and I love love love it! But I can't find it anywhere else. Did I make a bad choice? Heck, I can't even tell you what the brand is but I would know it if I seen it.

Many have said monofiliment thread is a pain...for some crazy reason I have absolutely no problem free-motion quilting with this thread.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
29 Posts
Points 625

Thank you, Where I live I have to order we don't have a quilting store near and the closest one is about 40 minutes away and they don't carry a good quality of cotton threads.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 4:05 PM

joy i love the 60 wt cotton for applique,   coats and clark thread wasn't so good for a lot of years, maybe because they were the only thread you could get., and they could sell whatever they wanted, you didn't have a choice.  coats and clark, a year or so maybe longer ago,  came out with a new line to compete with the other threads.  i haven't tried it, but i have heard some good reports on it.   it still says coats and clark but it has another name on it too.  

some cotton threads fuzz up my machine and some don't, it depends on the brand.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,025 Posts
Points 369,882
Kris replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 6:25 PM

Patricia,

I use Essential from Connecting Threads for machine piecing and while it's very "linty" I like it. I've used Aurifil and would use it more often it it weren't so expensive. It has less lint but isn't lint free.

I like Presencia 60 wt for hand piecing and hand appliqué. I also like Invisafil from Wonderfil for appliqué.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 7:37 PM

Gini

I tried some of the new Coats & Clarks and still didn't like it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 9:49 PM

thanks nana, i haven't tried it, so it's good to have another opinion.   what don't you like about it,  is it really linty, too    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,819 Posts
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 10:00 PM

I have and love Auriful - yes, it's more expensive but I can get it at a shop not too far so I don't have to pay shipping. I also have some Sulky which I like.  I'll admit I have not paid as much attention to weight as I should. I have heard that some weights are better for piecing and others for quilting & some people commented on that, as well as applique here. The shop where I just had a machine serviced said Coats & Clark is a no-no as it's really linty & can cause problems in the machine - same but less so for Gutterman.  The shop recommends Mettler & the woman I spoke to said most of the employees use it, but they do sell Sulky and a couple other brands as well. 

I got some great advice on here recently about monofilament thread (there are two kinds & one is much better - can't remember without looking, maybe nylon & polyester?). I had some trouble with it before I practiced & played with tension but got it to work just fine. I think type, needle & tension as well as speed are all factors in working with the stuff. Maybe some machines handle it better than others, too.

Great question, Joy, and lots of great answers :-) 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 10:01 PM

Gini

I found it to be linty and it broke frequently.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
29 Posts
Points 625

Nana,

I am waiting on an order of Essentials brand thread to use for piecing and quilting.  You said you really like it; is it fuzzy?  It seems that many of us worry about the fuzz because of our machines, but I am thinking I want a cotton thread that will be nice to sew with and I can stop searching for threads.  The more I read and search the more I am confused or overwhelm in all the brands and kinds of thread.  I hope I am not the only one feeling this way.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 11:18 AM

Patricia Cadena:
I hope I am not the only one feeling this way.

no you are not the only one, patricia,   with so many choices it is very confusing   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 11:18 AM

Patricia

There are lots of good threads out there.  I am not sure that one is especially better than the other...I have found that some sewing machines "like" certain threads better than others.  The Essentials line is a good medium priced thread.  I do get lint from it but it isn't really bad.  One of my favorites for actual quilting is King Tut. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
7,334 Posts
Points 113,880

Rhonda Laws:

slinky:
recently i had to withdraw from service 4 pillow cases that were to skinny for my pillows and i stuffed them with batting and used them to practice a quilting pattern i was concidering.  I have used several different colors of quilting on the same pillow case and have had great results practicing.  Just my version of a practice "sandwich" that i can use several times

What a great idea!!

What a great idea for recycling pillow cases.  I have tons of pillow cases left over from when I had small children in the house.  I can't get rid of them and I don't want to use them.  I can try free motion with them.  Thanks for the idea!

Linny T

Top 150 Contributor
Female
428 Posts
Points 7,640

Good day Joy!  I use Brother quilting thread and Brother embroidery thread.  Unfortunately, it's not readily available so I have to go to great lengths to get my hands on it!  I purchase the threads, whenever I can find them, on ebay.  I find the embroidery thread is absolutely THE BEST for my machines and love the way it looks sewn out.

Kim

Top 500 Contributor
Female
142 Posts
Points 2,710
Cheri replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 1:24 PM

I am also so confused about thread. I am a quilter with a very small budget that never gets stuck too. Something tells me I am not the only one with this problem. LOL I was wondering if the thread for sergers, which is way more economical, is good for quilting? You get alot more for your money but is it worth it in the long run??

Cheri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 1:30 PM

Cheri

I have used thread on serger cones for piecing.  I don't use it for actual quilting.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,579 Posts
Points 139,858

It's true that there are so many wonderful threads out there and granted we are all not on a budget to spend ten dollars for a spool of thread. But, If we buy good quality fabric, why cheap out on thread. Wait for sales on quality thread and stock up. They will save you in the long run. Less maintenance on your machine, less thread breakage and tangles to say the least of the difference in how your quilt holds out over the long haul. Joann's frequently runs sales on Gutermann and Sulky. They are also starting to carry some of higher quality threads from Superior threads. I have used Aurifil, Presencia, mettler, Robinson Anton all of which gave good results. King Tut is still my favorite, and Bottom Line in the bobbin. I have recently tried Masterpiece which I bought online from a sale at Joann's and like that as well.

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use