Top 10 Posters

What kind of thread to you prefer?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 40 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,095
Joy posted on Sun, Jan 16 2011 10:01 AM

There are so many different manufacturers of thread and so many different weights and types. What do you prefer for each part of making a quilt?

I was told to use 50wt cotton thread for piecing and 30-40wt thread for free-motion.

I was also told to stay away from coats & clark thread, but how can that be true when Fons & Porter have an entire showcase of it on their show?

Then I heard cotton is bad because it clogs the machine....

I recently found 60wt cotton thread at a quilt shop in Minnesota and I love love love it! But I can't find it anywhere else. Did I make a bad choice? Heck, I can't even tell you what the brand is but I would know it if I seen it.

Many have said monofiliment thread is a pain...for some crazy reason I have absolutely no problem free-motion quilting with this thread.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,457 Posts
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 16 2011 10:45 AM

Joy:
I recently found 60wt cotton thread at a quilt shop in Minnesota and I love love love it! But I can't find it anywhere else. Did I make a bad choice? Heck, I can't even tell you what the brand is but I would know it if I seen it.

Joy,

is it Presencia? I really like it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Sun, Jan 16 2011 1:06 PM

i've been using a 60 wt cotton thread from mettler for my applique. it was recommended by elly sienkiewicz and  it is wonderful       gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Sun, Jan 16 2011 1:09 PM

That's it Kris! Thank you!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Sun, Jan 16 2011 1:11 PM

I didn't know that mettler made 60wt thread as well. I will have to check for it if I can't find Presencia thread. What do you use for piecing and quilting Gini?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Sun, Jan 16 2011 1:36 PM

joy, 40 or 50 wt, whatever i got on sale last.  i am now using up all my colors that i bought for applique in those weights.    i don't like gutermann, it makes too much fluff, but that is all they carry at ben franklin's here in town, so i sometimes will use that if i'm out of thread     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
626 Posts
Points 13,135

I don't remember where I heard it but when I first started quilting I heard that FOR PIECING you can use tan for light colors and darker gray for darker colors so that is what I have always used. I always used Essentials Cottong Quilting Thread. It is 100% Egyptian Cotton Double Mercerized 50 wt. I absolutely love it. I buy it from Connecting Threads in the large cones in Gray and Natural.

If you read my other posting you know I am not the person to ask for Machine Quilting LOL I am seriously thinking about trying either Aurifil or the Essential PRO or maybe both. Lord I don't know!!!

Cumberland Gap, TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,654 Posts
Points 82,429

I use Essentials Cotton Quilting thread, too from Connecting Threads. I also use Robisson Anton and Mettler. I have tons of problems with Gutterman and Coats and Clark are a no-no.

North of Boston MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
69 Posts
Points 2,430

Excellent question.  I too have read and heard so many things and there are so many options for thread out there.  My mom always used Coats and Clark so I naturally gravitated to it when I started sewing.  I use their 100% cotton for machine/free motion quiting and their machine piecing thread (slightly heavier - cotton/poly combo) for my piecing.  I do get lint fuzzies but no other issues.  I have also used a Gutterman monofiliment thread on the top with cotton in the bobbin and it turned out really nice.  I will have to expand my thread universe and see how the others work.  Thanks!

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 155

I used Coats and Clark for years- up until 3 months ago when I returned to quilting. The new C&C thread I bought kept breaking in my machine.  I prefer Guttermans or Mettler and have used them for many years also.

I'm still experimenting with thread weights.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,457 Posts
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 17 2011 7:45 PM

Nitchals,

Coats & Clark threads used to be wonderful then their quality went downhill for a while and every one was say no to them. I've used their threads and don't really have a problem with them. They seem to be getting better and many big name quilter's seem to be embracing the brand. All People Quilt has a whole video segment on choosing the right thread that feature Coats & Clark threads.

I still think it's a matter of preference and what works for you. I wish more companies made 50 weight two ply instead of three ply, but that's just what I like.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

I am buying a longarm and i do quilt with my sewing machine as well.  i snap up every magazine that features thread for quilting and love the ones that have photos of what different types of thread can look like using the same stich with the same background.  Dawn Cavanugh(sp) had an excellent article (probably in Fons and Porter but thats at home and i'm at work so i can't check) she showed just what a difference different colors and weights of thread can do.  recently i had to withdraw from service 4 pillow cases that were to skinny for my pillows and i stuffed them with batting and used them to practice a quilting pattern i was concidering.  I have used several different colors of quilting on the same pillow case and have had great results practicing.  Just my version of a practice "sandwich" that i can use several times.

Vivian aka Slinky

Top 150 Contributor
Female
626 Posts
Points 13,135

slinky:
recently i had to withdraw from service 4 pillow cases that were to skinny for my pillows and i stuffed them with batting and used them to practice a quilting pattern i was concidering.  I have used several different colors of quilting on the same pillow case and have had great results practicing.  Just my version of a practice "sandwich" that i can use several times

What a great idea!!

Cumberland Gap, TN

Not Ranked
Female
29 Posts
Points 625

I have found so many interesting comments on thread.  I am still searching for more comments on thread.  I just ordered some aurifil 40wt thread.  I have not ever tried it.  Any suggestions?  Also I wanted to order some Essential thread from conneting threads, but I am searching for more suggestions.  Please comments or suggestions would be helpful.

• Filed under:
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 11:29 AM

Patricia

I have only heard good things about Aurifil but I haven't tried it yet.  It isn't available close to me and I tend to buy me thread for FMG at the store so that I can see the color.   I use any good quality 50 wt cotton for piecing and have used the Essentials brand for both piecing and quilting and really like it.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use