Top 10 Posters

Thread breaking

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 25 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
626 Posts
Points 13,135
Rhonda Laws posted on Sat, Jan 15 2011 10:23 AM

I decided to delve into machine quilting today and because I didn't want to risk messing up a large project, I simply cut a 12 x 24 sandwich on which to "play". Because I have never quiled with my machine I didn't have any machine quilting thread. I only have 100% cotton thread and machine embroidery thread (100% rayon). Because the rayon matched my project I used it. Things were going along quite well for a bit then all of a sudden my thread broke...once that happened it continued to happen over and over. Which leads me to my question...

Is it because I used rayon thread?

I have had problems with burrs on my throat plate in the past but checked that immediately and didn't notice any. So I don't think this was the issue.

Also, I originally started with a universal needle but switched when it broke (because I moved to quickly I think) to an embroidery needle because I was using embroidery thread. Now maybe that was not the correct course of action either. I was able to finish quilting it and am going to place a couple of pictures eventually. But for now I simply need suggestions/answers as to why my thread was continuously breaking. Please!!!!

Cumberland Gap, TN

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
626 Posts
Points 13,135

Nana:

One of my favorite threads is King Tut.  I love how it handles in the machine and also love the look of the thread. 

I seen that in the fabric store today and didn't buy it 'cause I had never heard of it...I will pick it up next time I am there. Thanks for posting it !!!

Cumberland Gap, TN

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
14 Posts
Points 185

I used to attempt free motion embroidery with Natesh Rayon thread, and because rayon thread is slippery it would come off the spool too fast and slip around the spool pin and break.

It was apt to make snarls under the fabric, too. Now that I have been practicing free motion machine embroidery I started to have tension problems, which upper tension adjustments didn't solve and found that tightening the tension on my bobbin case solved those problems. My machine is an older Pfaff, about the second generation computerized machine, and probably the newer machines with drop-in bobbins would be differently configured as to where to adjust bobbin tensions.

Not Ranked
Female
14 Posts
Points 185

I used to attempt free motion embroidery with Natesh Rayon thread, and because rayon thread is slippery it would come off the spool too fast and slip around the spool pin and break.

It was apt to make snarls under the fabric, too. Now that I have been practicing free motion machine embroidery I started to have tension problems, which upper tension adjustments didn't solve and found that tightening the tension on my bobbin case solved those problems. My machine is an older Pfaff, about the second generation computerized machine, and probably the newer machines with drop-in bobbins would be differently configured as to where to adjust bobbin tensions.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

another thing to look out for is "eyelashing"  this is when you go to fast and the top thread is pulled down on curves and creates an eyelash look to your stitching on the bottom.  Slow and steady wins the race.  Took me a while to learn that.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,090
Joy replied on Mon, Apr 25 2011 10:35 AM

I had the same problem when I first stated machine quilting. Now I quilt with any type of thread...use only good brands though...no cheap stuff. Check to make sure you have the right kind of darning foot on your machine. And tension is soooo important. It took me weeks to understand it and get it right. Now its second nature.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 90

Your needle may be the wrong size - I tend to use a 90/14 if the thread is breaking.

Your needle may be dull. 

Your thread may not be the same in bobbin as the top thread.

Your tension may be set too tight.

Your bobbin may be in wrong or the machine threaded improperly

Not Ranked
Female
32 Posts
Points 325
LeAnn replied on Sat, May 21 2011 11:51 AM

I always use a quilting needle usually a 90-14.  I also use alot of invisible thread and I found if you put a stretchy little thread cover on (used usually on large spools of thread) the thread will not wrap itself around and break.  Of course it took me about 4 years to learn that trick but it seems to work well for me.  Hope this helps. Oh yeah and I slowed down too  lol..

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
35 Posts
Points 220
CAS48 replied on Sat, May 21 2011 11:55 AM

I thought I was doing something wrong when my thread kept breaking.  I had bought large spools of overlock thread.  I was attempting to use my serger.  It turned out the thread was actually in pieces on the spool!  It was really aggravating rethreading the serger so many times before I figured it out!

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 35

I have done a few quilts and the only one I had a real problem with was an Applique Cat quilt.  I could only do a few stitches and then the thread would break.  Took my machine and quilt to my dealer and we tried every needle in the shop-she could not quilt it either until we changed to a Janome  Red Tip.  It worked perfectly-I don't have a Janome but it worked, now that is what I use for quilting.  Vi

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 170
Linny replied on Sat, May 21 2011 5:41 PM

Your bobbin thread was probably not matched to your top thread. I was told never to use rayon embroidery thread for quilting. Superior (King Tut,  even Bottom Line) Are really great for quilting. YLI makes beautiful variegated thread and I use it for the bottom also. I use a size 14 needle to quilt even on my sit down longarm.

Linny

Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 150

What kind of thread are you talking about?

I too like to use invisible, but i find it difficult to work with.

• Filed under:
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use