Top 10 Posters

Stencils for Pounce Pad

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
230 Posts
Points 6,005
Sharon posted on Sat, Jan 15 2011 9:28 AM

I have not yet tried my pounce pad because I don't know a good way to make a stencil that will work well. I've seen a long-armer stitch (without thread) through paper to create a pounce stencil. What other ways work (tracing wheel?), and what kind of paper works best? (I know about the special pounce stencils you can buy,  but they are a little pricey for me.)

Sharon

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,053 Posts
Points 369,262
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 15 2011 9:45 AM

Sharon,

I've done what that long-armer did with regular printer paper. It really holds up well. I've also tried Golden Threads but you have to be careful no to tear it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sat, Jan 15 2011 10:10 AM

I used pounce for 1 quilt and was disappointed. The stencil keep curling up ~ I don't know how to explain it but it didn't work like I had hoped. Maybe I wasn't doing something right... And like you I don't like the cost of the pounce stencils.

I have also tried chalk, both in pencil for and wheel. The wheel was terrible but I liked the pencil but  I went through it so fast that the expense outweighed the benefit. I finally bought Fons & Porter pencil. They have 2 different lead colors, white and regular. Its cost effective and works really well.

Tracing the stencil does take more time but the end result is well worth it I think!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,846 Posts
Points 248,979
Barbara replied on Sat, Jan 15 2011 11:58 AM

Joy , thanks for the info. I just might check into that ...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195

Sharon,  Like you I have not tried the pounce pad.  I have seen it used and do have one.   I am wondering if blank stencil plastic can be obtained to make your own stencils.

Granny M

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Hi Sharon,

I am a longarm quilter as well and I bought a pounce because I had read that I would need it.  Staples has the old fashioned clear overhead projector sheets that work wonderfully.  Change Your needle to a Size 18 and stitch without thread. I found out that the pouce is messy and it is very easy to put too much chalk on the quilt.  Then I watch another longarmer who had a better approach.  Go to Home Depot and get a few of the foam brushes, put your chalk into a zippy and only dip the tip of the foam into the chalk and rub on the stencil lines or holes.  Saves on mess and chalk.

I hope this helps,

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Hi Joy,

I hold my stencils down with painter's tape, it holds well and leaves no sticky residue.

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sun, Jan 16 2011 9:38 AM

Thanks for the tip Judy! I will try that on my next small project and see how it works.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Filed under:
Top 500 Contributor
230 Posts
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Sun, Jan 16 2011 2:14 PM

Judy Lee:
old fashioned clear overhead projector sheets that work wonderfully. 

Super info, Judy! I used to make a LOT of overheads before I retired - and I can see how they would work very well. I stitched some printer paper yesterday to test it out, and right away figured out that I would need a size 18 needle. But even with the 14, the chalk came through pretty well. I loaded up my pounce pad, and rubbed it on the fabric (did not actually pounce it up and down). That worked pretty well. However, It was very messy to fill the pounce pad - so I will also try the foam brush approach. I have some "what was I thinking" fabric that I'll use to practice with on my home sewing machine.  Thanks again!

Sharon

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Jan 16 2011 10:04 PM

I buy the translucent plastic sheets and cut my own stencils with an exacto knife.  I don't find the pounce chalk messy to work with.  The trick is to rub it over the stencil, not pounce it as the name would imply.  The directions clearly say "rub."

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
230 Posts
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Mon, Jan 17 2011 8:43 AM

MNnancy:
I buy the translucent plastic sheets and cut my own stencils with an exacto knife. 

So many great suggestions. One nice thing about the projection transparencies, is that you can print direction on them with a laser printer. Nancy, tell me more about the plastic sheets. What size are they? Can you print directly on them? Get them at a hardware store?

Sharon

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Hi Sharon,

Glad to help!  I like to be thrifty where I can.  I buy the best rulers and such but the everyday little things can save you enough to buy another one of the best items.  Did you know that a sharpie, overhead projector sheet and a coloring book can make stencils with, will make almost any theme of childrens quilt? You can also repeat paterns in your fabric this way.

Judylee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 17 2011 1:54 PM

Judy

I love sharpies and coloring books to make stencils.  You can find some really great stylized patterns in coloring books.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Hi Nana,

I am an artist as well as a longarm quilter.  I like to find or draw different patterns on the stencils, carpet, clothes, wallpaper...etc

Judylee

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Sharon of Raleigh:
tell me more about the plastic sheets. What size are they? Can you print directly on them? Get them at a hardware store?

I buy them at quilt shops.  They're usually displayed near the pre-cut stencil sheets.  They come in different sizes, but I buy the largest I can get.  I use them to cut shape templates, too.  I used one this weekend to make a 6 1/4" square template for fussy-cutting from a panel.  The 18" x 12" sheet cost $2.00.  They are a bit heavier than projection transparencies, but they won't go through a printer.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use