Top 10 Posters

What are you up to today!

Page 311 of 1040 (15598 items) « First ... < Previous 309 310 311 312 313 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15,597 Replies | 27 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,746
Points 419,989
gini replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:00 AM | Locked

can you all hear me rubbing my hands together and chortling?    sam is leaving next week and will be gone for, are you ready,  8 days.    i get so much done while he is gone.  i will be  a quilting fool next week.  i'm so giddy, and i can't stop grinning,  i don't know where to start.   gini-with the chesshire grin    maybe i'll call myself grini for the next couple of weeks.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:35 AM | Locked

Gini

When Sam gets home he will have to dig you out from the piles of blocks and fabrics and threads and patterns .....gee he may never be able to find you.    But boy will you  have fun.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:06 AM | Locked

O.K., I'm about to tell a cautionary tale of the merits of organization.

As some of you know I'm just getting over being sick. Too sick to quilt for almost two weeks. Yesterday was the first day I actually got some things done on my curent project. This afternon was set aside for further progress. I was able to sew a couple of strips together and cut them into 3 1/2" strips. So far so good. At the end of the last set of strips, my bobbin ran out. At least it waited until the end of a strip. Hmmm, wind the bobbin now or continue on to press & subcut? I chose the latter. Once done, I sat down to now wind my bobbin. I pulled the thread out to prepare to wind & noticed a little bit of lint just there at the top before the tension dial. No problem, I'll just give it a little squirt of compresed air. I had just cleaned & oiled my machine yesterday so it can't be too bad, right? I reached to the right of my machine, my new quilt studio is so organized everything is just within reach, and grabbed the can. I took the lid off, positioned it just above the tension dial near the guide & gave a quick light blast of air. I stared at a thick moist pudddle, completely confused for a moment. What the h*** is that! What is wrong with my air? The offending can still clutched in my hand my eyes dart to the label: 3M GENERAL PURPOSE SPRAY ADHESIVE - BONDS IN MINUTES. AHHHHGGGGHHH!!!!!!! I just sprayed that into the inner workings of my beloved machine!! Quick, help, what do I do? Frantically I scanned the room for something to wipe it off before it "bonds".

Now, you would think in a quilt studio there would be plenty of things to wipe it off with. There are, in fact, several pieces of fabric around. But it's GOOD fabric. Suddenly my attention is drawn to the dish towel that never made it back to the kitchen. I grab it and move to wipe the ugly blob from the machine where it immediately grabs every fiber of the towel, that by the way, has been washed no less than a hundred times, and turn it into a now hairy green blob. This stuff is powerful! Oh my G**, if that's whats happening on the OUTSIDE, what's going on INSIDE?! I have to save my machine! I grab my machine screw driver & immediately begin to take the cover off, all the while the green hairy blob staring at me, mocking me. Once I get it off I realize that I have to take off another inner plate. To save my machine I must now go where no woman has gone before, Inside the area that houses the tension - gulp. I take a deep breath & begin trying to unloosen these screws that have not been touched since my machines birth. I get one screw off, two, then three. It's at this point when DH walks into the room. "Hi, Honey." He then notices the panicked look in my eyes. I've just killed my machine. "What's wrong?", he says. My calm words belying the disbelief at my actions, I tell him what I've done. He steps up and removes the final screw. Speaking like a surgeon, he says, "I need some alcohol & goo gone." Swooping in like my hero he cleaned my machine. He even found a piece of thread that had been causing my machine to skip a stich now & then.

So the moral of the story is: Never keep anything that can damage your machine within arms reach. If I hadn't been so organized I would have left the air next to my machine rather than putting in back in my desk where it belonged. I have since removed the evil can to the far corner of the room. I had bought it to finish my design wall & then got sick. Clearly I'm not as well as I'd thought. The good news is my machine has lived! lol Now back to sewing. Where was I? Oh yeah, winding that bobbin.

Deb

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:12 AM | Locked

Deb

Your story is so funny.  But if that had happened to me I would have panicked too.  Glad your DH was able to fix it.   Now back to that sewing and just remember some disorganization is a good thing.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,139
Points 252,657
Thea replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:16 AM | Locked

Debbie, YOu cracked me up - i was feeling panicked when I read your story but at the tone in your voice I knew all was okay - so glad - we all learned a valuable lesson from you - goo be gone works wonders...

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:16 AM | Locked

Nana:

Deb

Your story is so funny.  But if that had happened to me I would have panicked too.  Glad your DH was able to fix it.   Now back to that sewing and just remember some disorganization is a good thing.

Trust me, lesson learned. I'm not putting anything away ever again! lol. At least that way you actually have to look at what you're picking up.

Deb

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:19 AM | Locked

Althea :

Debbie, YOu cracked me up - i was feeling panicked when I read your story but at the tone in your voice I knew all was okay - so glad - we all learned a valuable lesson from you - goo be bone works wonders...

Thanks Thea,

That's why we're all here. To learn from each others mistakes. lol

Deb

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:25 AM | Locked

Deb

I was told by a machine maintenance guy that you shouldn't use the compressed air on your machines.  It blows the dust and lint back into the working parts of the machine.  He recommended getting one ot the mini vacuum attachments to use on your regular vacuum.  It has little hoses and attachments that reach the places you can't normally reach and sucks the lint and crud out of the machine.  Mine works well like that. It works real well if  you have on of the little hand held portable vacs that you can leave in your sewing area.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:31 AM | Locked

Nana:

Deb

I was told by a machine maintenance guy that you shouldn't use the compressed air on your machines.  It blows the dust and lint back into the working parts of the machine.  He recommended getting one ot the mini vacuum attachments to use on your regular vacuum.  It has little hoses and attachments that reach the places you can't normally reach and sucks the lint and crud out of the machine.  Mine works well like that. It works real well if  you have on of the little hand held portable vacs that you can leave in your sewing area.

Now you tell me!!! lol Actually, I usually only use it to blow lint out when I have it open and am cleaning & oiling. I've seen the little vacuum set at the LQS but several people have told me it doesn't work that well. Do you use one?

Deb

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,479
Carol replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 3:53 AM | Locked

Nana:

Deb

Nana,

I have the mini vacuum attachment. got it a Clotilde's. works great

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,681
Points 141,308
Stephanie replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 5:46 AM | Locked

Kris,

I hope it wasn't my post. After you wrote this so soon after it I went back and read it to see if there was anything that I said that might have offended you or have been misinterperted and I think there is. When I said I did manage to suck it up and make stir fry. Please believe me when I say that it was all about me and the way I was feeling. I never thought for a second you might think it would be directed toward you, and was never meant that way.  It's an expression that DH and I would use when we weren't up to par, totally a personal thing. i promise if this was it that next time I will reply to your post and start a new one about myself so this won't happen again.

I would never hurt your feelings, especially when I know nothing (except what you tell us) about what your going through on a daily basis, and admire you for doing the best you can.

So, please, if it was my post that offended you, it was never meant to, and I'm so sorry if it did..    

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 6:29 AM | Locked

gini:
sam is leaving next week and will be gone for, are you ready,  8 days.    i get so much done while he is gone.  i will be  a quilting fool next week. 

Oh Gini! Stephen was gone from Tuesday until Friday and I got most of a quilt top cut out and sewn together, and this week he will be gone from Tuesday and come home late Saturday.  The following week he will be gone 3 days.  Except for 15 hours at work, and a couple meetings I plan to be a quilting fool too.  I want to see posts of every project you work on while he is gone.  I think I will do a blog on what I did while my DH was gone.

It's like having a slumber party with my quilts.  I sew when I want, I eat when and what I want, I sleep when I want. 

But I know I will also be so happy when he comes home.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 7:01 AM | Locked

Nana:
That thought is just plain scarey.  I couldn't image doing teenagers in my 40's.  They about killed me in my late 20's .......

Had my daughter 3 days after I turned 36.  We shared the hormonal changes of puberty and menopause together.  Those were hard years, several difficult things happened, my daughter was just a minor part of it.  But I still remember the day I found a letter she had written me and put in my purse before I went to work.   A beautiful letter of love and concern and encouragement.

She lives about 5 hours away now.  We both wish it was just down the street.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,976
Points 384,332
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 7:20 AM | Locked

Stephanie,

have no fear you did nothing to offend me. You've been nothing but kind to me and a good friend. Please don't think it was you.

I am having a bad morning. I tried to go to my appointment and got stuck at the end of my driveway. I had to get out of the car and try desperately to clear the snow from my tires. Since it is still snowing (rather heavily I might add) I got soaked. It took me about 1/2 hour to finally get free. By then there was no way I was going anywhere. I called and rescheduled for Wednesday. My head hurt because I became irrationally angry. I am now back in bed chilled to the bone trying to get warm. My kitty friends have joined me and the warming blanket is turned up to fry. Shouldn't be long now. I'm going to try to sleep since I've been up all night.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 7:20 AM | Locked

Wow, every one has been so busy.

Deb, I like your quilt and the story about spraying your machine certainly keeps one sitting on the edge of the chair.  So glad DH came to the rescue.  I wanted to open my machine to clean it, to see why I was having such problems with a particular thread, but they make it very difficult.  LQS owner and pfaff dealer told me that because of all the electronics, it is purposely made difficult so that machine owners don't get in and damage the machine in the process.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 311 of 1040 (15598 items) « First ... < Previous 309 310 311 312 313 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use