Top 10 Posters

What are you up to today!

Page 24 of 1040 (15598 items) « First ... < Previous 22 23 24 25 26 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15,597 Replies | 27 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,880
Points 366,982
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:29 PM | Locked

Spudgrandma:
don't know about you but I use to hate days like that the shift seemed to go on for ever.

It's not so bad when I bring in a project with me but I do prefer to be a little more active. Sitting here alone with nothing to do can get tiring. All I think about is getting out of here.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,880
Points 366,982
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:30 PM | Locked

Althea :
Kris - I always enjoyed the slow times at work because  when it gets busy you don't have time to think - so have a restful evening if you can

Thea,

it's not always good when I have time to "think".

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,476
Points 244,327
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:43 PM | Locked

hmmm Kris, not sure i can help you there - how much time do you have with nothing to do - how was your dvd?   did it make the time go faster.  I am looking a a Quilter's World from 2004 that DH found yesterday - took a 10 minute power nap- ate Sonic for dinner and watching Warehouse 13... interesting... and for Joyce and Sandy still sitting in my chair... have to press the fusible on the fabrics but am out of energy at the moment - probably wait till tomorrow...

hope you do better tonight.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:43 PM | Locked

Judy,

I want to make note I was the quiet one...giggles. I cant imagine anyone saying anyone here was chatty....i would say jabbery or over active fingers...giggles. Hope you enjoyed the rodeo well watching the kids

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:43 PM | Locked

Althea :

Judy - how are your HSTs coming?  Any where close yet?

Are you kidding me? I have almost as many messages to read as I did when the hard drive crashed.

I have to tell you about going to rodeo practice. They only had 5 bull riders there tonight, so there were only  rides, but I got to see "my kids"! I was happy to see them and they were happy to see me! There are 3 boys who are freshman at the college. I had all 3 of them in the same class when they were juniors in high school. One of the boys, Chad, got hurt doing bare bronc riding last spring at a high school rodeo. They didn't think he would live initially let alone walk. He spent basically his last semester of high school at Craigs Rehabilitation Hospital in CO. He now can walk with crutches and also uses a wheelchair. He had a rodeo scholarship for our college. Will, the coach, made Chad one of the asst. coaches so he could keep his scholarship and still participate with the rodeo and go to school. He has grown about a foot since I saw him 2 years ago!

Jake is, as far as we know, the only college student attending college on a rodeo scholarship as a bull fighter. (For those aren't familiar with the term, these guys use to be called rodeo clowns. Now there are clowns and bull fighters. The fighters are the ones who protect the rider after they come off the bull. At any rate, Jake was the only high school bull fighter, too. Chad kept saying to me tonight that Jake has really gotten a lot better since I saw him 2 years ago.

They had a professional bull fighter there tonight from Rapid City. He was there to work with Jake. I heard him say, walk toward him, start walking, go, go, go! The rider had been bucked off. It's pretty impressive, I think, that Will would bring someone from 120 miles away to work with one student! I, of course, feel like I have a buy-in with Jake. I talked to Will 2 years ago about giving Jake a scholarship. Will said he could probably give him a small one, and he kept his word. You don't earn any points at a rodeo from a bull fighter!

All the kids I ever had in school knew I wasn't a huggy kind of person. All three of the boys gave me hug tonight. I guess once you're out of high school, you can hug the teacher. LOL!

This is what I miss about teaching. I miss the kids and their funny ways. I don't miss grading papers or the administration or the required statewide tests that are a joke!

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:47 PM | Locked

Judy...teachers like you are what makes kids turn out good not bums to torchure parents...lol like me was. I have to say few things I kept from school but the teacher everyine else hated was my fav cause she expected me to do my best and she wouldnt let me off with less...*wink* I found her on facebook and sent her email to tell her how much she meant to me. I had found her while back but had to send email after reading about your 3 boys just so she knew I apprecatied all she did

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,476
Points 244,327
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:48 PM | Locked

judy that is great - i still hear my Mom talking about her students and they still contact her - she is ever so proud of them - it is nice to have that kind of connection - now go get  busy with those HSTs - you have procrastinated long enough...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,476
Points 244,327
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:52 PM | Locked

Kris:
it's not always good when I have time to "think

Kris there were days at my job when I couldn't think just react and when I got off work would have to look at my name tag to know who I was... I do not like those kind of days... but yes I can see where having too much time on your hands and not having anything to do is tough.  You will do great though I have a lot of faith in that.

Did your material come yet? 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:53 PM | Locked

Rhonnie:

but had to send email after reading about your 3 boys just so she knew I apprecatied all she did

Good for you, Rhonnie! While teaching is extremely rewarding, it's seldom you hear if you've done anything right. I have had former students contact me on FB, too. In fact, just today I received a "Friend" from a former student which I accepted. It's neat!

Gillette, WY

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:57 PM | Locked

Rhonnie:

Judy,

I want to make note I was the quiet one...giggles. I cant imagine anyone saying anyone here was chatty....i would say jabbery or over active fingers...giggles. Hope you enjoyed the rodeo well watching the kids

I find it really hard to believe that you were the quiet one in school, Rhonnie! I, on the other hand, was voted class talker my sr. year. My dad was so pleased - NOT! LOL!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,476
Points 244,327
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 9:16 PM | Locked

I actually was the shy quiet one in school - I was the brainiac too - top of my class... with Mom being a teacher you didn't get away with much so I didn't... was a "good" girl...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 9:19 PM | Locked

Uh, yeah, me too! I think I told you my dad was also a high school teacher? Bothered the other teachers more than it bothered me!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,476
Points 244,327
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 9:22 PM | Locked

some how just by the way you wrote that I think you might be stretching the truth - I was truly shy though till i was in college  - almost scared of my own shadow - I found after my 1st marriage failed that I had to find a way to love myself and I truly did an indepth study of what I was all about - I joined the AF at the same time and it makes you a "man" lol or "woman" in my case.  You have to fight for what you get - the "shy-retiring ones" get left behind...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 9:47 PM | Locked

Okay, I give up.  I cannot keep up with you guys. I go to stain the rest of the deck and come back and I have all these post to read, I think I'll be speed reading. LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 134
Points 3,225
Pamella replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 10:15 PM | Locked

Hi all. I wasn't going to come here this evening.. I pulled out the pink quilt to work on. I did and it infuriates me.  I think the top is great. I'm not into pink but I just love this fabric. The quilt is HUGE. I got batting for a king size and it didn't have much wiggle room. I machine stitch on my tabletop..pin a lot.. roll the ends and stuff. The layers ended up shifting so the back is off and too short at one end...both the batting and the backing. Now I remember why it isn't finished. I'll figure something out. But for now it's folded back up and in the moring all bring out the current top. Though I did find another (#7) top ready to quilt.

I never thought about spray basting until I read all the posts here... does it really work on the large quilts? Still a lot of pinning?

Althea, I love roses and just had to google the blue roses. Are they really that vibrant blue? Looks like some one painted them. They are gorgeous.

Judy, have the students ever made it to the Reno rodeo?

Pamella in Reno

Page 24 of 1040 (15598 items) « First ... < Previous 22 23 24 25 26 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use