Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 850
lynnb Posted: Tue, Aug 18 2009 6:13 PM

I love putting all of the pieces together on a quilt top.   However, after I get it all together, I get stimied on what design to use to actually quilt it.  I've tried taking a close look at what the author has done but I'm never comfortable with selecting a design.  Last time, I finished the quilt top and then it took me weeks before I acutally quilted it.  I kept looking at it trying to get a clue!  My latest project is published in Batik Gems and is called "Coming Full Circle,"   I have already outlined, via quilting in the ditch, but now I'd like to do something( a quilting pattern) that is in-line with the  geometric nature of the quilt.    I' have been looking at this quilt for 3 days and still haven't come up with something I like.  Any suggestions??

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,929
Points 233,862
Thea replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 6:20 PM

With the name of the quilt being coming full circle - I would look at some circular designs - maybe some that are interlocking ... or several different sizes in the same block... not being able to see the quilt just leaves me by choosing something by its name. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,625
Candy replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 6:22 PM

Lynn,

You are not alone...I feel the same way!

Candy in Wi

When life gives you scraps, Make quilts!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 7:59 PM

Lynn, wish I could help you but I'm in the same boat.  I have no vision when it comes to the quilting.  I've taken a couple of quilts to a LA and when she says "how about ...?" I just say ok because I don't have a clue.  I think you're doing great if you only have to look at the quilt for a few weeks to decide what to do.  I have quilt tops that have been sitting here for a couple of years because I don't know what I want to do with them. 

I posted a pic a couple of weeks ago of a top that needs quilting and got several very good suggestions from other members.  If you can show us what you're working on, I'm sure you'll get some ideas from the group.

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,874
gini replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 10:10 PM

lynn, i usually do curves if it is an angular quilt ,  and straight lines or angles if it is a curvy piece.    but not always.   could you show us your quilt?   there's a blog, park city girl. she pieced a zig zag quilt qnd echo quilted the zigzag.  it looked great.   could you do some kind of echo quilting on it?   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 10:46 PM

I'm so glad you posted this question, Lynn. I was going to write and ask the same thing! I'm really good at doing stippling, but I know that some of the quilts need something else. I think this is the reason I take anything over lap size to the LA quilter. I get so tired of people say, "The quilt will tell you what it wants." I guess I'm just to literal, but I've never looked at a quilt and had the aha moment of knowing what to quilt on it. LOL!

Gillette, WY

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Wed, Aug 19 2009 11:27 PM

Hi Lynn

You are not alone.I feel the same way.

I'am so tiered of hearing ,quilt as desired or the quilt will tell you what it wants.

" I guess I'm just to literal, but I've never looked at a quilt and had the aha moment of knowing what to quilt on it. LOL!

Anita

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,874
gini replied on Wed, Aug 19 2009 11:44 PM

anita, when the quilts start talking to the litle voices in my head, then i'll know i'm in trouble.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 2,674
ceecee replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 6:23 AM

Hi Lynn,

I saw part of a video somewhere (?) that showed drawing a quilting design on clear vinyl and then pre-viewing it over the quilt top. . .did not see enough of the video for details but it sounded like a great idea to me!  SInce I didn't get details, I plan on tyring my own version of this for a future quilt.

ceecee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,874
gini replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 9:27 AM

ceecee, it was in one of the episodes of quilting out loud.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 2,674
ceecee replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 11:15 AM

gini,

thanks for the info on where I saw the vinyl trick. . .will check it out again. . .

ceecee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,874
gini replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 5:37 PM

ceecee,  you're welcome,  it was in the episode with the two LA quilters.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Mon, Aug 31 2009 11:21 PM

You right gini.

I saw it too. 'll try it on my next quilt

Anita

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use