Top 10 Posters

Paper Piecing

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 31 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy posted on Mon, Jan 10 2011 11:05 AM

Watching Fons & Porter last night prompted me to write this post. Jodie Davis guess stared with Liz  - Jodie made  paper piecing look so easy. Is it? I have never tried, but now I have the itch to learn. Suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks everyone!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 5:20 PM

Gini you are always full of wisdom! Thank you!

Seriously, people keep those little ears??? Personally, I enjoy tossing them, and all my very small scraps, on the floor!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,084 Posts
Points 66,725
Answered (Not Verified) Robin replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 5:46 PM
Suggested by Robin

Joy,

My Kalidascope in the gallery is a paper pieced quilt.  The hardest part was working and thinking in reverse.  Also I found that primary school writing paper (you can get it at a school supply store) is cheaper and was easier to me to remove. 

It was really cool to watch the quilt pattern come together and the image take shape.

Robin

PS:  The little ears are great for filling the glass Christmas bulbs for ornaments.  Takes a lot but you'll have a lot ! :)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,963 Posts
Points 368,547
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 9:01 PM

Robin:
PS:  The little ears are great for filling the glass Christmas bulbs for ornaments.  Takes a lot but you'll have a lot ! :

Robin,

I keep small trimmings in a jar in my sewing room. Very pretty. I'll probably just empty it when it's full and start over.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 9:17 PM

Robin

The primary school writing paper is a perfect tip to use for paper piecing.  I have tried several brands and my favorite is the Carol Doak's paper.  And it is basically the primary writing paper.  When I have used all of the package that I have I will definitely be looking for the writing paper.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
626 Posts
Points 13,135

I really enjoy paper piecing but like many of you hate picking at the paper...BUT I think they have water soluable paper piecing paper now...hmmm let me look into that and get back to you

Cumberland Gap, TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
626 Posts
Points 13,135

Yes...they do! They have some you can leave in your project...stays soft or some that will wash out...here is a link to both...now I don't recommend this website it is just the first place I found them both in the same location just an FYI for y'all (of course this might be a great website too I honestly don't know)

http://www.ericas.com/quilting/paperpiecing/supplies.htm

Cumberland Gap, TN

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 8:06 AM

Thanks for the tip Robin! I will pick some up when I try my first paper piecing project.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 8:09 AM

Rhonda one of the ladies that work at my local quilt shop loves to paper piece too. She even offered to come over and show me how! Maybe I should take her up on it...

Does anyone use freezer paper?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
626 Posts
Points 13,135

I didn't care for the stickiness of freezer paper while paper piecing. I just used plain old copy paper. I shortened my stitch length and didn't have any problems. When I get home I will take a pic of what I made it had LOTS of TINY pieces in it!!! I used copy paper because I used my printer to make copies and that was easiest. If I were going to do another project I would try a wash away or vellum paper.

I would def take her up on it because I really enjoyed it. BUT I would also invest in the 1/4" ruler thingy...

http://www.connectingthreads.com/tools/Add-A-Quarter_Ruler__D81904.html

Worth EVERY penny!!!

Cumberland Gap, TN

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 10:25 AM

Thank you Rhonda! I appreciate all your helpful tips!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 10:29 AM

Joy

I have used printer paper but don't like it.  It is harder to tear away in my opinion.  If you want to do paper piecing I highly recommend getting a package of Carol Doak's paper piecing paper.  It tears away very easily and goes thru the printer just like printer paper.   I think you will be less frustrated starting out with a product that is easy to use.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
7,270 Posts
Points 112,940
Linny t replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 11:38 AM

Joy:

Does anyone use freezer paper?

I use freezer paper and I like it because I don't have any of the fabrics flopping over where they don't belong when I'm sewing.  I shorten my stitch length and it tears right off easily most of the time.  If I have a stubborn piece that wants to stick, I reheat it with the iron and it comes right off.

linny t

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,963 Posts
Points 368,547
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 4:46 PM

I use freezer paper but I don't sew through it. I fold on the line and sew my seam next to the fold.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 10:07 PM

Could some of you go back and add tags to your conversation for future reference?  Thanks.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 10:16 PM

Nancy

I tagged mine.  I always forget ....  thanks for the reminder.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use