Top 10 Posters

Paper Piecing

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 31 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy posted on Mon, Jan 10 2011 11:05 AM

Watching Fons & Porter last night prompted me to write this post. Jodie Davis guess stared with Liz  - Jodie made  paper piecing look so easy. Is it? I have never tried, but now I have the itch to learn. Suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks everyone!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 11:18 AM

Joy

Paper piecing isn't difficult once you get used to thinking "backward"....  Since you place your fabric on the underside of the paper.  I tend to make a terrible mess with paper piecing....I have little bits of paper everywhere...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,504 Posts
Points 417,409
gini replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 11:21 AM

joy, paper piecing can be easy.

it is like everything else,   simple pattern=easy piecing and vice versa.   the cool thing about it is that everything is very precise and perfect, i.e. points, junctions.  the bad thing is all the fiddling papers you have to remove,  it drives me nuts (don't worry, it's  short trip).

i have paper pieced and will probably be tricked or enticed into doing it again, because it is so precise;  but i don't like doing it much,    i am trying to motivate myself to finish a pickle dish i started years ago.   all the hard part is done, but i am still so sick of all those papers it's hard to get on it.   i hate picking out those papers, did i mention that?  and that's what i have left to do before i sew the blocks together.  

some quilters love it.        gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,504 Posts
Points 417,409
gini replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 11:23 AM

and all those paper pieces are so messy, not that i'm a clean freak, but teensy little bits of paper will collect with all the threads and follow you everywhere    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 11:26 AM

Gini

I have found that if I use a good paper and decrease my stitch length the papers are much easier to remove and they don't fall into little teensy bits.  But I agree it still gets messy.  I am beginning to like paper piecing more each time I do it and I really like the results.   But it definitely hasn't become my favorite technique....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,504 Posts
Points 417,409
gini replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 11:34 AM

nana, i  shorten my stiches.   the things that i piece now are usually tiny so i can't get away from those fiddling little pieces.  

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
40 Posts
Points 1,125
Shari replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 11:42 AM

Joy,

I think Paper Piecing is very easy - it does take some adjustment to the "backwards" thing. I used to teach it several years ago and I taught people that had never quilted before how to do it and they "got it" and did some beautiful things. I started out using Carol Doak's method and patterns. I used her stuff for my classes.

Shari

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 12:58 PM

Gini - Jodie said not to take the paper out until the quilt top is complete...I hope that makes it easier to get your pickle dish finished:)

I seem to make a mess every time I'm in my studio! Right now I have a bunch of little tips from flying geese all over the floor and now all over my house, thanks to the dogs!

The one thing they didn't show was how to get all those little papers out. So how do ya do it? Have any of you ever made a Mainers Compass? Someone tell me I'm crazy for wanting to try that as my first paper piece project!

Thank you all for the advise!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,504 Posts
Points 417,409
gini replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 2:40 PM

Joy:
Jodie said not to take the paper out until the quilt top is complete...

i'm removing it as i get sections done

Joy:
I seem to make a mess every time I'm in my studio! Right now I have a bunch of little tips from flying geese all over the floor and now all over my house, thanks to the dogs
   i've seen quilters keep jars of those little ears,  they are pretty colorful

Joy:
The one thing they didn't show was how to get all those little papers out. So how do ya do it?

i tug on the fabric until the paper releases, for little spaces i've used tweezers

Joy:
Have any of you ever made a Mainers Compass? Someone tell me I'm crazy for wanting to try that as my first paper piece project!

we are all crazy, so welcome to the club.   should you do it,  yes and no.  if you really want to do it, go for it.   but you might want to try a smaller something first, just to get the hang of it    it's a little counter-intuitive because you have to think backwards.   no  problem for some of us, i'm sure.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,976 Posts
Points 368,797
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 3:45 PM

Joy,

I find paper piecing very easy. I learned with Carol Doak's "Show Me How to Paper Piece". She has several other book and DVDs that are very good.

About a year ago I discovered freezer paper piecing. The technique is quite similar except you don't sew through the paper. No mess when you're done, simply peel off the paper. Here's a tutorial. This will probably make more sense once you learn foundation piecing.

Not Ranked
Female
12 Posts
Points 445
Denise replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 3:47 PM

I personally am not a huge fan of paper-piecing.  However, I once read a clever trick  for making the paper removal easier.  Before you piece - use a hole punch to jab a hole into the middle of the paper[s].  Then when you go to remove it, you just stick a pencil [or tweezers, etc] through the hole and it pops out.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 4:58 PM

Joy

I don't like leaving the papers in.  I take the paper off the block as soon as I finish the block.  I trim the block to size and then take the paper off.  I have found that it is alot more difficult getting all the paper loose if I leave it attached thru the joining of the blocks.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 5:10 PM

Great idea Denise...I am going to keep this one in mind when I try paper piecing

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 5:16 PM

Thank you for the links Kris and the information. I started looking at the tutorial but it looked complicated, maybe it will make more sense after I learn how to paper piece.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,504 Posts
Points 417,409
gini replied on Mon, Jan 10 2011 5:17 PM

Denise:

I personally am not a huge fan of paper-piecing.  However, I once read a clever trick  for making the paper removal easier.  Before you piece - use a hole punch to jab a hole into the middle of the paper[s].  Then when you go to remove it, you just stick a pencil [or tweezers, etc] through the hole and it pops out.

unless you have very sharp points and then nothing works.    gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use