Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 300
Patricia Yocom Posted: Thu, Jan 6 2011 5:30 PM

Hi Everyone.  I am new to the forum and consider myself a very new quilter.  I have made 3 baby quilts.  They turned out great, but still only baby quilt size.  One ended up as a wall hanging.  BTW, when I say quilting, that means I sewed the quilt top, I paid someone else to do the actual quilting.  I am ready to increase my quilting skills.  I have the worse time trying to rotary cut accurately.  No matter what I do, my cutting is off one way or another.  I just found out that my daughter is getting married in 2012.  I would love to do a wonderful queen size quilt for her and her new husband.  So if anyone has any suggestions for a semi simple quilt, I would love to hear it.

Thanks.

Pat, LaPorte, IN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092

Hi Patricia, Welcome to QCA, There are alot of simple quilt patterns out there, Have you checked out the free patterns here? as for the cutting I still have trouble at times and I have been quilting for 10 years now, Just practice it will get easier.

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Welcome Pat from Indiana.  Have you checked out the digital archives for the Easy Quilts that is available here?  You might find sometihng there to strike your fancy.  A simple 9 patch with or without sashing is also easy and can really turn out to be stunning depending on your fabric choices.  Have fun on the site and don't be afraid to ask questions.  Someone will find you an answer. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,935
Points 383,467
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 6 2011 6:24 PM

Welcome Patricia.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 6 2011 7:37 PM

Patricia

Welcome to the site.  Hope you chat with us frequently.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,729
Points 419,784
gini replied on Thu, Jan 6 2011 10:09 PM

welcome pat,   i send quite a few of my quilts out for quilting.  buying the fabric is the fun part, then you kinda sorta feel pressure to do something with it.  by the time i get a top made, i'm ready to start my next three quilts.   if i didn't get them done at the LAQs, you would be able to see my mountain of tops from your home.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,218
Points 253,489
Barbara replied on Thu, Jan 6 2011 11:32 PM

Welcome Pat, as a former Hoosier, I grew up in the INdy area .just wanted to say you will love this site . there are all kinds of great ladies and gent. here to help when ever you run into a problem..Hope you enjoy your time here..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 50
Dawn replied on Thu, Jan 6 2011 11:55 PM

Hello Patricia, Welcome to QCA.

You'll find that we are all newbie's at one time or another in life. But just remember the greatest journey begins with the first step, an you are already on your way!  You'll find that quilter's make great friends and we all help each other and really like to share.  I know you'll find the perfect pattern for the wedding gift and when you do, don't get overwelmed by the big picture (quilt) take it one square at a time. An before you'll know it you'll be giving it to a very lucky person and they will cherish it.

Best of luck and remember we're all here for you.

Dawn, Minnesota

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,729
Points 419,784
gini replied on Fri, Jan 7 2011 12:26 AM

well said, dawn, and hello to you, also    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,218
Points 253,489
Barbara replied on Fri, Jan 7 2011 6:32 AM

Gee Dawn ,I wish I'd said that, well done ...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,272
Points 35,195

Welcome Pat.

Have you looked in the gallery here under wedding quilts, I think I have one posted that I made for my Grandson's wedding. it is a queen size.  I am sure there are many many more in the show and tell.  Happy hunting and let us know what you decide on.

Granny M

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 270
CynS replied on Fri, Jan 7 2011 6:48 AM

Hi Patricia,

I am new here also.  You may want to try using jelly roll strips to make a quilt for your daughter.  It will reduce the amount of rotary cutting you have to do. There are some cute and easy patterns for jelly rolls.

Cynthia, Tennessee

Tennessee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 7 2011 9:15 AM

Dawn

Excellent explanation of quilting.  Welcome to you as well.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 7 2011 9:16 AM

Cynthia

Welcome to QCA.  I love jelly rolls.  You can make a quilt so quick with those.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 5,660

Welcome to QCA, Pat! We're glad you're here. 

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use