rated by 0 users
This post has 29 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 3,565
Kristin Posted: Mon, Jan 3 2011 4:20 PM

Hi all,

We just received a box of vintage handkerchiefs that a dear friend of our family collected for a long time.  She was planning on making a quilt for her teenage grand-daughter and unfortunately she passed away before she could start.  I need help finding a pattern or ideas on how to incorporate into a quilt.  I have the Hanky-Panky Crazy Quilts book by Cindy Brick (wonderful book) but I am a little concerned about creating delicate embellished quilt blocks for a teenager to use on her bed.

Let me know if anyone has pattern ideas.

Thank you!!

Kristin in Acme, PA

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977

Kristin, I made a quilt with hankies, for my MIL it seemed to hold up well, but she is far from being a teenager

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,499
Points 138,433

Kristin:
but I am a little concerned about creating delicate embellished quilt blocks for a teenager to use on her bed.

I don't know your dear friends teenage grand daughter, but feel the same concerns as you might have for making the quilt for a teenager. If I was going to carry on such a labor of love, I would have a chat with her to make sure she understands the "history" and heirloom that she will be recieving. When I was in my early twenties when I recieved an afghan from my great grandmother and my husbands grandmother. I have never used them and have kept them as keepsakes as well as a few embroidered pieces and hand made items from my aunts.  It's been almost thirty years. They are priceless to me and maybe this will be to her, you'll know.... If I come across a pattern for your special quilt, I will look back for this post.   

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 3 2011 8:10 PM

I remember seeing a pattern in a magazine once that was butterflies made out of hankies and then sewn into the quilt block.  It was gorgeous but I have no idea which magazine it was in.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977

Nana, I remember seeing one also, but like you can't remember and since I down sized my mag stash, can't go back and look.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 3,565
Kristin replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 11:12 AM

Hi all - thanks for the replies!  I will definitely talk with her grand daughter to help her understand how important these handkerchiefs were to her grandmother.  I will also suggest that she put this away in a "hope" chest until she is older.

I found a link of a Mother's Handkerchief quilt - all butterfly designs.  I've heard you fold and tack down handkerchiefs to quilt....no cutting required so as to preserve the handkerchiefs should someone ever want/need to remove them from quilt.

http://www.e-patternscentral.com/detail.html?source=froogle&code=EHQ0458

Thanks again,

Kristin from Acme, PA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 3,565
Kristin replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 11:14 AM

Leslie - I replied to the general post but I'm not sure if the email would get to you...

I found a handkerchief pattern link - all butterflies on the quilt and I believe you fold/tack down and don't have to cut the handkerchiefs.  Just thought I'd share - hope you're having a great day!

http://www.e-patternscentral.com/detail.html?source=froogle&code=EHQ0458

Thanks!

Kristin from Acme, PA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 11:56 AM

Kristin

I think that is the same one I saw in a magazine.  Beautiful design and I like not having to cut the hankies.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,282
Points 173,428
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 1:19 PM

Kristin, that is a beautiful butterfly pattern and you don't have to cut up the hankie.  I have several plain white linen hankies that my mother crocheted around.  Any ideas how I could use those in a quilt top?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 2:06 PM

Marie

Those are really pretty cut into quarters and sewn onto a dark background.  They look like Victorian fans especially with the lace on them.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977

Kristin, glad you found what you were looking for. Hope you post a picture when you are done, would love to see it.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 10:47 PM

Kristin This is a picture of a hankie quilt I took early last year at a local quilt show . there were three of them made by this ladies  three daughters .just thought You would like to see ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 10:50 PM

Barbara

These are beautiful.  I meant to mention to Kristin that I had seen quilts with the hankies attached to a backing block and then sashing in between.  They are so pretty.  No one in my family had a collection of hankies.....I wish......

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 10:55 PM

Nana I wish that to . my grandmother had a few  but somehow they were lost when her house was sold. I have one sister I will not mention  but I really believe she took these things along with a treadmill Singer that my grandmother had promised to me  when she passed and sold them .I do not get along well with her...Everything just disappered ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 10:57 PM

Nana I wish I had gotten a picture of the third one but the memory on my camera was full . I should have checked it before I attended this show  there were so many I didn't get pictures of . i will never let that happen again ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use