Top 10 Posters

Fabric Hoarders Beware !

Page 14 of 23 (338 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 337 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 168
Points 2,490
Carol L replied on Tue, Jul 6 2010 4:42 PM

O dear, Kris.  I already have half one side of a closet in the guest room, maybe 8 plastic rectangular boxes, each with a project and each in various stages of development!  Sigh - enuf to keep me satisfied for quite some time, when and if I can get beyond grandkid blankets. 

Now where was that sale room again?  O never mind, I have other events happening this wkend.  : )

Carol L

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jul 9 2010 10:55 PM

Carol L:
Or I could switch to initials I use on each quilt label, nclb.  A combination of mine and hubbies initials.

Oh Carol, please don't use "NCLB."  In education-speak, that's "No Child Left Behind" which equates to testing, testing, testing.  I'll be so happy to retire from teaching in April.  These education trends come and go and come back again, and the current direction means having to teach to high-stakes tests which takes a lot of creativity out of teaching and learning.  Oops, off my soap box....

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

MNnancy:
In education-speak, that's "No Child Left Behind"

Nancy - please stay on that sooap box.  My one grandson got a lazy streak that past two years and flunked every subject. But was he held back???? NO because he managed to pass those stupid tests. This year it took him a second try to pass it!   We were so hoping that they would hold him back this year to teach him that there are consequences for being lazy in school.  He turned 14 on the 4th of July.  I so hope that he changes his attitude before he turns 16 or he may turn into a drop out. 

Fabric hoarder??  Who me???? Just because I have a shelf unit stuffed to the gills, three big plastic tote boxes full plus three "apple" boxes hiding in the closet.    Psst - don't tell DH about the boxes hiding in the closet. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,568
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Sun, Jul 11 2010 6:23 AM

I hear ya Carol... I have 5 double door pantry cabinets and 3 shelving units full of fabric .. And then there is the books...lol.. I really need the quilting police to smack my hand and tell me not to buy anymore...lol.. But alas I dont think that would do any good...lol..

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

This is my stash...and I love it...and I use it daily!!! so I don't really hoard....right???

Ontario, Canada

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Sun, Jul 11 2010 7:45 AM

Carol L:
Or I could switch to initials I use on each quilt label, nclb.  A combination of mine and hubbies initials.  or nclb of Wisconsin, or  CarolLe or,........  : )

Gotta watch out for those initials.  My late husband Mark had an orchard.  When we married it became MP orchards for Mark, Patti.  Then we had a daughter Melissa.  It was MPM orchards.  Mark passed away and a few years later I joked with my new husband that we should change the Name to PMS orchards, for Patti, Melissa, Stephen.  A year later I got out of the orchard business and the friends that bought it still have a couple payments left. 

It was hot, but fun working in the cherries yesterday.  Brought back some good memories.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Sun, Jul 11 2010 7:59 AM

Helly, I love your stash, and even more the space you have made for it. 

I used to just buy fabrics that I liked, but now find that when I want to make something using different values, which I now think of as more important than color or pattern, I don't have what I need. 

So now I have started collecting for my stash, in a way that is more focused and will help me to collect what is useful.  And less expensively.  When stash shopping, I check out the sales.  equilter.com has some good fabrics in it's clearance section, 50 percent off.  A lot that I have no problem understanding why they are trying to get rid of it, but some pieces are just what I need to balance my stash.  With prices these days, it is nice to find good fabrics for under $5 a yard.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089
Helen Bell replied on Sun, Jul 11 2010 12:20 PM

I too shop for fabric to build the stash...and of course if I really like it too ;o)

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 10:29 AM

Patti:
A lot that I have no problem understanding why they are trying to get rid of it, but some pieces are just what I need to balance my stash.

that's what i do.    i try to get a variety of values and scales    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Helen Bell:

I too shop for fabric to build the stash...and of course if I really like it too ;o)

I find it hard to build for the stash. I tend to go for what grabs me and I will buy that to use later. I'm not really looking to add to the stash though. I will buy fabric when it is on sale so that's how I have a small stash. When I am ready to start something new, then I go to my stash (which isn't real large) and see if anything looks good. Then I prefer to take the fabric with me and buy fabric then to go with what I am making. I haven't bought too much yardage online b/c I can't "see" it. I am going to check out equilter.com...haven't been there yet.

North of Boston MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

I don't buy too much online as you don't get to see it as you pointed out...I tend to buy from stores that have a 50% sale or something like that...at the beginning of my quilting career I just bought what I liked but then I realized that when I wanted to make a quilt I didn't have all the shades that I needed so I learned to shop for what I needed for my stash and also what I liked...if it isn't in my stash then I change the quilt or change my mind set..and that gives me some interesting quilts that I wasn't thinking about...try it, it's fun!!

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Helly - you don't have a stash.  You have a fabric store at your fingertips.  :o}

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 6:47 PM
LOL, Your right Marge, I wonder if she gives discounts, Sorry Helly,I have alot of fabric also. Mine is just not displayed as neatly as yours.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Leslie :
Mine is just not displayed as neatly as yours.

I'm with you Leslie.  I have great intentions but I never seem to be able to follow through and get things organized better.  I usually find somehting that I forgot I had and start putting it together with other fabrics and.......  so much for the organizing.  ADD - I don't have ADD...... Oh look there goes a bunny rabbit.   

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

I think I need a stash builder day out with some of you experts. I'm sure I could easily be lead down the primrose path of fabric, fabric and more fabric.I could get in a lot of trouble with you guys.

North of Boston MA

Page 14 of 23 (338 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use